1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

is pop century better than all stars?

Discussion in 'Resorts, Hotels, DVC, Villas' started by disaholic, Oct 4, 2008.

1. disaholic

disaholic Earning my ears

I can see from the brochure that its newer than all stars where we stayed last time, is it nicer?

all stars was really noisy is pop century ?
  2. Britchick

Britchick Serious Forum Regular

i didn't find pop noisy last summer but we were at the back of the resort for that reason, we dont tend to go to the food courts or use the buses so it suits us just fine. :yes:
  3. Mags

Mags Serious Forum Regular

I am trying to be measured here but we really really disliked Pop century. It was noisy, crowded and the buses were a nightmare when we were there. Of course I realise that views vary a lot on the value hotels but when we went in 2006 at the height of free dining it was a total madhouse. It didnt help that the mousekeeping was poor and stuff went missing. As well as that smoke poured through the vents the whole time we were there. Truthfully, if we could have moved back to Music, we would have. Ignore me though - there are lots of people who love it!!!

Margaret
  4. Britchick

its good to have a balance Mags, it sounds like you had a bad time but others have loved it. anyway if we all liked the same resort we'd never get in!!:hug2:
  5. Dorothy

Dorothy Smiley Herder

Out of all the values I like POP the best, so I guess it's just a matter of what you like. I've never had any problems at POP with the food court or the busses and I'm staying there again next year when we go for free dinning.
  6. Figment

Figment Imagineer

I didn't care much for Pop either. I hated the set up of the foodcourt...whose brilliant idea was it to put it in the same space as the gift shop?!:shocked025:
  7. Britchick

the business manager lol
  8. Mags

I think that is what we hated most of all. Whoever had the bright idea of having the food court in front of the gift shop so that everyone leaving the FC had to exit via the shop (as well as everyone getting off the buses) didnt have their thinking cap on that day. It was always choc a bloc - no such thing as browsing in the shop. Im sure the idea was that everyone would go through the shop and spend spend spend but it is just mayhem in that area. It always made me very panicky. I hate crowds at the best of times. :(

Margaret
  9. Taja

Taja Earning my ears

It's really a matter of personal preference. We tend to visit during Pop Warner in December, so don't stay at All Stars as that is a preferred resort for the teams and cheerleaders. At least part of our visit seems to overlap every time!

While Pop Century is newer construction, the All Star resorts have been undergoing renovations since Pop Century was built and opened in 2004. So if you prefer the theming or layout of the All Stars, don't let the age deter you.

We were at Pop Century during the end of free dining in 2006 (09/30/06 - 10/09/06), and dining everywhere was chaotic. We tend to visit the food court during off hours and miss most of the chaos.

If you decide to stay at PC, learn where the various doors are located. You can enter the food court directly from the Hippy Dippy pool area without setting foot in the gift shop. Unless you're going to the food court from the resort bus, you can avoid the gift shop by going around the building (depending on your building location) or using the main lobby entrance and exiting toward the Hippy Dippy pool or to the side where Luggage Services is located.

The buses for all of the value resorts are insane at park closing. Period. You can minimize your queue time by staying in the park a bit longer or leaving 30 minutes or so earlier. There'll still be a queue either way, but you just decide what you want to look at while you're waiting! :)
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2008
  10. Figment

Figment Imagineer

Mags...that was it exactly! I felt nearly claustrophobic every time I went in there and I normally don't have problems with crowds. It was nearly impossible to navigate with my ECV as well. We never ate in the food court the entire stay, and I only went to the gift shop to pick up my packages from the parks.

We went back to ASMovies this last trip and it was sooo nice. We had dinner in the food court a couple of nights and I also went shopping with ease in the gift shop...even in my ECV. :yes:
  11. disneywishmom

disneywishmom Earning my ears

We have stayed at both and we really liked Pop Century much better. We stayed there when it first opened so it seemed new and clean. As far as noise, I think they are all noisy. We also went in February so it wasn't very busy. We liked the food court and liked that everything was close together. It worked well for us because we didn't have to travel far. If we had to stay at a value, it would be Pop; however, since I have discovered over the years that I am a spoiled princess, I try to stay at a moderate or nicer.:minnie:
  12. Mags

I dont blame you. I feel spoiled after our last stay at Coronado

Margaret
  13. disneywishmom

disneywishmom Earning my ears

That's where we stayed too last too. Then we went on the Disney cruise six months later with a deluxe balcony room. This time I wanted to go to AKL but my parents (who we are taking for the first time) just loved the cabins. So we will see what happens. They are now considered "moderate" but I don't think I will like it as much as we did CSR.:p015:
  14. Disfan

Disfan Forum Sponsor

we really like pop century its new and for the most part feels nicer to us than all stars but i do agree about the shop location :( not very good
  15. Team Harris

Team Harris Earning my ears

Have not stayed at All Stars.
    We stayed in Pop Aug 2007. We were in the 80's building and thoroughly enjoyed it. We did not find it noisy at all. We were a fair walk from the food hall, which was a bit of a pain for refills but we were close by to the pool and even though you could swim well past midnight (very busy) we did not find it noisy at all. We were getting up around 07:30 and swam at the end of the day, midnight, so I guess we were unconcious inbetween midnight and 07:30:p015: