1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Is saratoga springs any good?

Discussion in 'Resorts, Hotels, DVC, Villas' started by wishonastar, Oct 14, 2008.

1. wishonastar

wishonastar Imagineer

Everytime we type dates into disney online it comes back offering us a room there at a reasonably ok price. It doesnt look all that special though? I guess being close to downtown is useful though

2. BigThunder

BigThunder a cool thingy

Wow, no responses yet. Well, I'll chime in on this one. I kind of think the place has a bad rep but not sure why. Maybe it's because the theming isn't really as 'fun' as some of the other resorts. We first stayed at SSR back in fall of 2006 & i have to be honest, I wasn't very excited about staying here. I didn't think I'd like it. But it was all DVC had open for the time we wanted to go.

We, the whole family, ended up really liking it. I think it has an Old Key West feel to it, kind of like you are in your own little community. The building we stayed in had a busstop right outside of the buidling, no long walk. It was never crowded. We did the walk to the main pool, wasn't close but it was a pleasant walk. We could have caught an internal bus had we wanted but, like i said, it was sort of like our little town & we enjoyed getting out & walking around. The main pool is not as nice as many other Resort pools. It's nice but really didn't do much to thrill my kids. There was a quiet pool close to our building that overlooked DTD & it was very scenic, very pretty.
    The walkway to DTD was very atmospheric with pretty trees & flowers on one side & the water & view of DTD on the other. But it was a bit dark & I probably would have been nervous to do it alone.
    I'm not crazy about the food choices there. At the time we were there you only had the food court type place & it wasn't like a typical food court. In other words, we couldn't get cheesebugers & fries there! lol We do like a good burger ;)
    The rooms were very pretty & bright. I mean, all DVC rooms are basically the same just different decor but i liked the decor here a lot.
    We were happy enough with SSR that we decided to stay there again on our next trip in Jan. '09.
    If you have any other specific questions ask me & i'll do my best to answer.

3. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

I'm sorry! I didn't see this thread before now.

We've stayed at SSR several times. :yes: It is as Big Thunder describes. The Turf Room is a new-ish full service restaurant that has a fairly nice sounding menu.

The Spa is quite nice too, and I'd love to have some sort of "treatment" there one day.

If the price is right it's a very nice place to stay!

4. BigThunder

BigThunder a cool thingy

Oh yes, I had forgotten how nice the spa looked. I just wish it weren't so pricey! I'm not really a spa type gal but I would love to do this with my oldest daughter. But everytime I start looking at the prices i just think of all the other things i could buy with that money, hehehe.

5. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

It's a wonderful experience though, Cristine. :yes: Start small with something like a pedicure or a facial. It's really relaxing and you'll be amazed at how quickly you become a convert! :lol:

6. BigThunder

BigThunder a cool thingy

One year for my birthday David bought me a spa treatment at a local place. I had a facial. I really didn't enjoy it very much. But I still think a splurge to do with my daughter would be fun!