1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

is seaworld cruel to animals?

Discussion in 'SeaWorld/Discovery Cove/Aquatica' started by disney1sttimer, Sep 13, 2008.

1. disney1sttimer

disney1sttimer Earning my ears

Im quite worried about this now. I have arranged it for the family but one of the girls has read on another forum how seaworld is very cruel and keeps animals in poor and small enclosures including animals that should not be kept in captivity?

2. Dorothy

Dorothy Smiley Herder

3. Dawn

Dawn carpe diem-ing Forum Host

I always have this moral dilemma about keeping animals in captivity but it's a sad fact that in order to save them from us we have to look after them. I don't like seeing manatees swimming in enclosures but the amount that get killed or injured by human activities means that they are increasingly at risk. And Sea World does an incredible amount of conservation work that we don't normally see or hear about. I guess I reconcile myself by saying that part of my ticket money goes toward this conservation and that if there were no animals to look at we wouldn't go and they wouldn't get any money.

Aside from that, Sea World have some of the best animal environments in the world. Truly 5 star compared to many places.

4. Slowhand

Slowhand Cruise Director Forum Host

The animal keepers there are so compassionate about their creatures that there is no way that they can be accused of cruelty.
    Furthermore some of the creatures there [eg the killer whales which are very difficult to breed in captivity] have been bred successfully in that environment which would most certainly not happen if the animals were ill treated.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2008
  5. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

I am one of those obnoxiously difficult people when it comes to this issue. It's the reason I refuse to return to BG. :(

However, Seaworld (how was it possible that they were owned by the same corporation!) does a beautiful job, and I love to visit there.

In all honesty, I am a bit uncomfortable with the "acts" (and I always will be) but they in no way mistreat the animals. They are very dedicated to conservation, preservation and education. Did you know that you have to have a BA degree (usually in psych) to be one of the workers who is alongside the habitats interacting with their guests?

They take their animals very seriously. :yes:

6. MystikPiglit

MystikPiglit Peace, Love and Mickey Mouse

If you have time, take a behind-the-scenes tour. You will get a chance to talk at length to a keeper and see what goes on backstage. :)

7. Tinker

Tinker Earning my ears

I just visited SeaWorld . The keepers & trainers are very compassionate . SeaWorld has rescued and saved many sea creatures, birds and mammals that wouldn't have otherwise survived .

Last edited: Sep 13, 2008
  8. Britchick

Britchick Cast Member

what they said!!!

9. Skywatcher

Skywatcher Chief Astronomer

Again I agree that Seaworld does a lot for conservation and I have no hestation on visiting on each occasion - I too though am a little down on the shows - in particular blue horizons - I would rather they did a talk on the animals and discussed their behaviours and their plight in the wild rather than the arty farty stuff - just my opinion and i am sure I am in the minority.

10. cathydisneynut

cathydisneynut Imagineer

Agree with that, we did one a few years ago and it was very informative.

11. josh.p.

josh.p. Addicted to Mickey

I am the same. I'm not sure i'll even go back to busch gardens!

Their elephant enclosure leaves a lot to be decided... and they where doing this trunk swishing thing which made them look as if they hadn't had any stimulation what-so-ever.

Their tortoises where over-crowded and they mixed species too :(.

SG, however, i would definatley visit again. The blue horizons did seem to push me to my limits of seeing animals perform though.
    I'd be much much more interested in seeing them perhaps perform some natural behaviors and have screens with good facts about them.

Although, I don't think they are cruel in the way that they train their animals, I just don't think they'd do it in the wild....

Their animal knowledge astounds me, and they have gotten killer whales to breed in captivity... I think that says it all really.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2008