1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Is the grand floridian too snooty?

Discussion in 'Resorts, Hotels, DVC, Villas' started by Disfan, Feb 14, 2011.

1. Disfan

Disfan Forum Sponsor

Is GF too snooty? We are definitely not snob people... my mom will have her mickey fanny pack on and we'll all be in sneakers/shorts/etc.

When I read reviews about any CL I hear a lot of negatives... and how the food disappears, etc... but then when I see photos (of others, not GF) I see tons of food and it looks really good!! So why are written reviews so bad?!

I guess it boils down to I'm confused because the pictures I've seen do not match the written reviews I've read. AND I can't find pictures of Grand Floridian Sugar loaf

2. Slowhand

Slowhand Cruise Director Forum Host

Definitely not!
    There are folks who undoubtably have that opinion of the GF but the odds are that they have never stayed there themselves!
    My DW and I adore the place and make a point of staying there each time we visit Florida [using our DVC points], despite us owning a villa close by.
    We have been going there for several years now and have made some really good friends with several of the CM`s who always remember our names thus truly making it feel like home from home.
    There are several restaurants there ranging from a 24 hour self serve [Gasparilla`s] right up to the best on-site place of all at V & A`s.

The buildings all look the same from outside so Sugar Loaf is like all of the others.

3. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

We definitely do not find it to be snooty, expensive yes. We love dining there, especially at V&A and Citrico's. We've only stayed there once, for my DW's 50th. We got a great deal through Shades of Green while they were being remodeled. They put us in the main building Concierge level. The room was lovely but we were sure glad that we weren't paying full price as we felt it was quite small for the rack rate posted.

4. kona

kona Earning my ears

It only seems to be snooty, if you can't afford to stay there.:lalala:

5. Esmeralda

Esmeralda Serious Forum Regular

^ What does that mean?:unsure:

6. JStrickPhoto

JStrickPhoto Imagineer

It means people have this perception it's snooty just because it's Disney's most expensive property to visit.

7. Esmeralda

Esmeralda Serious Forum Regular

Ah I see. Thank you :)

8. Captain Teague

Captain Teague Earning my ears

We have ate there several times and while we get the same "snooty" vibe off the folks staying there, we do not get it from the CM's. If you like to talk to the folks that are staying there, then you might get a cold shoulder or two...like we have gotten in the past. If you keep to yourself then it's all good. I don't think it is worth the money though. Nice to visit, but wouldn't stay there.

9. Slowhand

Slowhand Cruise Director Forum Host

In all honesty I`ve never come across anyone "stand offish" at the GF in all the numerous times that we have stayed there.
    That said, a few of the CM friends we have [who work there] have told us about some really obnoxious guests, mainly members of the aristocracy from the Middle East who sometimes take over several rooms in the main building and treat the CM`s like they treat their servants at home!