1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

IS the rose and crown good?

Discussion in 'Restaurants, Dining, Dining Plans' started by Disfan, Oct 25, 2009.

1. Disfan

Disfan Forum Sponsor

We're looking through all the epcot choices and the menu for the rose and crown looks tasty but is it any good?

2. Vixynne

Vixynne Earning my ears

I haven't been to the Rose and Crown for two years, but when my family and I went, we enjoyed it very much. In our party were two kids who were in a "picky eater" phase, and they found acceptable menu options. I remember having the Bangers and Mash and being very happy with it. Our server was a young man from Kent who was serving out his last three days of the Disney CM program before heading home; he was genial and very attentive to our requests.
    I'd definitely eat there again...and although as an American (who's never been lucky enough to visit England), I can't tell you if the food was "authentic" British fare, I can tell you it was flavorful and filling!

3. PaulBBN

PaulBBN Earning my ears

I remember the food being very British and very authentic from my experince!

The staff were all very friendly, with many being from England. When waiting for our table we were asked which area of England we were from and the staff found another member of staff which was from the town next door to ours!!

The foods great, along with Bangers and mash, theres fish and chips and i remember there being pie and chips!

Does anyone know if the rose and crown still do the giant chocolate spaceship earths with mouse in the middle?

4. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

Awww no. Those desserts haven't been around in awhile.

The sausages for the bangers and mash are made especially for the Rose and Crown from a manufacturer in Sarasota, FL. The food is what you might find in a local pub in the UK (or Ireland) but it's made with American ingredients. As one who has had mussels in Ireland, I can attest to the differences in the "same" item dependent upon where it is you are getting it.

So, all that to say, yes it's good food. :yes: I particularly like the bangers and mash, and Herself really likes the cottage and shepherd pies. :yes:

They used to do a nice lemon posset too, but they no longer have that on the menu.

5. BigThunder

BigThunder a cool thingy

We ate there in January for the first time inside & were a tad disappointed. The service was excellent, we loved our waiter! But the food didn't really grab us. Plus my husband got the exact same thing he usually gets at the walk up window but had to pay more for it (the cost of getting to sit in the restaurant I suppose). We haven't written it off as a 'never again' place but we aren't rushing back.

6. Isafari

Isafari Wild Animal Expert

We usually eat at the R&C at least once during our trip and have an ADR for the next trip too.
    I am a creature of habit and have the leek and potato soup followed by cod & chips. Always been very nice.

7. Tiggers Golf

Tiggers Golf Forum Sponsor

There is a thread about this on another forum and they are saying the same, weekends are a no no very rowdy and the new American chef thinks the english love salt ?
    We have not eaten there recently but the take away F & C was really good and worth the Q
    Barbara

8. Tink

We noticed a heavy salt hand on many of the F&W festival samples. I am not sure what that is all about, but I'm a salt user, so it I say something is salty, it has serious amounts of salt in/on it! :eek:

9. Skywatcher

Skywatcher Chief Astronomer

Not sure where you are from but it certainly isn't standard British fare they serve up there it is certainly very 'americanised' we usually eat there once or twice to get some veg.

Its a nice place to get apint of guiness though

10. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

Love leek and potato soup especially in COLD weather. Don't remember whether I have tried it at the R&C or not though. My personal opinion is that, like most of the countries, the food is too Americanized. I'm sorry but if you want to give people a true taste of what the food is like in a given country then for Pete's sake bring in chefs from that country and get it cooked properly.
    Tink, I noticed that also. I use very little salt and most of what I use is called Salt Sense.

11. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

:yes: aahhhh Guinness yummmm

12. BigThunder

BigThunder a cool thingy

My husband likes to get one of those giant containers full of beer (can you tell i'm not a drinker, lol, i have no idea what they are called) but they are very cool :)

13. Beccaberry

Beccaberry She's beccalicious! Forum Host

BigThunder, are you talking about the "yards" :) We saw those last time we were there.

I've only ever eaten there once, and though I remember it being "good" I don't remember being in a rush to go back. I do recall LOVING the cheese platter, though I don't think it's offered anymore? And like someone said earlier, the fish and chips were exactly the same as the walk up window, only more expensive. Given the choice I think I'd prefer a martini or pint and a side order of crisps and chips while watching the hat lady :)

14. SleepinCatz

SleepinCatz Fluffeh Disney Fan

if the salt content is higher during the food and wine fest that is a way to make sure you drink more....sneaky but it works.

15. gwennie81

gwennie81 Earning my ears

I happen to like the R&C. While the food may be on the "Disney-ized" side, I like the atmosphere, I like having a pint at the bar, the servers are always friendly and accomodating...The best part is, I've never had to wait long for a table. Even at "suppertime". When I have had to wait, I just go get a pint! (twist my arm) Don't count on getting a seat by the water for the fireworks unless you make a reservation, though. I think they probably book up for that.

16. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

ohhh the cheese platter is good too as well as the welsh dragon :yes:

17. piglet

piglet Serious Forum Regular

I'm not very keen on the R & C, last time we ate there the food wasn't that great but have to admit I love the takeaway from there.:thumbsup:

18. Tink

It's like Raglan Road. Indoors is iffy, but the counter service is almost always really good.

19. BigThunder

BigThunder a cool thingy

Yes! a 'yard' of beer, that's it :)