1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Is the wait for Harry Potter really worth it?

Discussion in 'Universal/Islands of Adventure' started by keith, Jul 27, 2014.

1. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

So we've read the books, and enjoyed them. The films were less good but ok. It was a time and it's kinda over ;-) no kids so nothing from that point of view.

We've resisted going to see the area at universal until it was "all finished" so, we thought perhaps this time we'll book a couple of nights at universal and get early entry.

Thing is, we've seen people say that getting there at 8am or even 7am still means there could be a 3hr/4hr queue :/ and given we don't do thrill rides, I'm just not sure there's enough there to be worth the hotel + tickets + getting up early.

2. Slowhand

Slowhand Cruise Director Forum Host

There is a feature on the extended HP section at US in the Sunday Mirror suppliment today Keith and from what I see, it does look great.
    The feature does say though that the lines are HUGE and advise folks to stay somewhere that enables an early entry to the park.
    One thing that I found annoying in the article is that it states that if you want to ride the Hogwart`s Express, then you need to purchase an admission ticket to both parks which is a tad off putting IMHO.

keith likes this.
  3. keith

Thanks Sir Slowhand!

yeah so it sounds like a ticket for both parks and then the express is free ? or I wonder if we'd have to pay for a ticket on the train as well!

I just don't know if there's enough to justify it. We haven't been to universal for years just because there's little there for us so two tickets each "just" for harry potter is starting to sound expensive

4. Oreo

Oreo Addicted to Mickey

Basically they made the single one day one park ticket so closely priced to a park hopper (or whatever universal call them) there is no real difference.

You cannot ride hogwarts express either way wihout a ticket for both parks.

Last time I went in 2012 I was disapointed with the wizarding world but must say what ive seen so far it does look impressive.

we are doing universal as im determined to do hulk and its a break from disney.

It was a close call and almost decided not to go.

if you go to universal for the other bits in the park then its a no brainer, but not sure its worth the money just for harry potter especially at the moment with the crowds.

If you plan to go back in a few years it maybe worth waiting, but altimately its up to you.

keith likes this.
  5. Tony G

Tony G Serious Forum Regular

For me, absolutely.

Every review I've read, heard or watched has said that WWoHP is the most immersive environment ever to be seen at a theme park. Hogsmeade set the standard when it was opened. Cars Land in Disney's California Adventure matched it, then the bar was raised again by Diagon Alley.

The thing to remember is that both the big rides have single rider queues, which mitigate the wait hugely. Then, the only real thing you need to wait for is the Hogwarts Express.

Everything else that's special, you can experience simply by being in the area, noticing the details, taking in the atmosphere and hearing that wonderful John Williams score in the background. I overheard so many people exiting the area saying how much they loved it and that they weren't fans before but would return to the franchise with renewed vigour now that they've been to the parks.

Like most themed areas, being a fan of the franchise certainly helps, but when it's this good, it's not necessary.

keith likes this.
  6. keith

Fascinating really.... I mean assuming we dont do the thrill rides, what else is there actually to do there? how long do you reckon we'd be in there for just wandering around?

7. Tony G

I'm not sure I'd class Forbidden Journey as a thrill ride. It moves around a lot, to be sure, but there's far more to it than just the thrills. I'd put it somewhere along the lines of Spiderman or Transformers at Universal, or Dinosaur at Disney, where the ride vehicle moves a lot, but it does so to add to the visual experience, not for the sake of providing a thrill from gravity.

I've not yet been on the Escape from Gringotts, but I understand it's tamer in thrill factor than Forbidden Journey.

Even if you don't do the rides themselves, be sure to take the time to walk through the queue areas. They call these the 'Castle Tour' at Forbidden Journey and the 'Bank Tour' at the Escape from Gringotts. You'll get to experience all the wonderful theming and the moving pictures in the castle are a real treat!

The queue for the Duelling Dragons is where you get to see the Weasley's flying car and the Goblet of Fire, so the queue is worthwhile but the rides themselves leave me a little cold since they removed the synchronisation between the two ride vehicles.

I probably spent two or three hours there exploring and shopping, on top of the rides themselves (although I did spot much more on the second visit, so maybe I hurried). I'd imagine it would be slightly more at Diagon Alley, as there's more to see.

8. keith

Thanks Tony.... hmmm does sound like something which needs to be experienced ;/ perhaps staying at universal for a couple of nights and trying for a 6am start is worth it :/

9. Tony G

Why not do it early in your trip, while your body clock is still on UK time?

10. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

Keith, you will never make a 6am start :lol:

11. keith

you know me so so well :lol:

I COULD make a 6am start it's normally about the time I start to think about going to bed... so I'd just need to stay up!

12. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

We'll loan you the boy. He'll see you do your 6:00 am start, no problem. :yes: :D

13. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

..................and you will have to go on all the fast rides with him :D

14. Tony G

:laughhard:

15. Isafari

Isafari Wild Animal Expert

We have AP's for Universal so I will let you know what the wait times are like without having to stay on site and an early start. Don,t think we are going to US until next week.

16. Coolape

Coolape Addicted to Mickey

Has anyone from the forum been yet and have any photo's to share?.. i only have 54 days to go! Can't wait.

17. keith

Im still totally undecided about this :/ I wont do any of the thrill rides so I just dont know if it's worth it

18. Skywatcher

Skywatcher Chief Astronomer

Really looking forward to it and the boys are hyper excited, shame the ride isn't included in the 'express pass' thingy. But for the first time ever on a holiday we may do 2 days at Universal especially as we are going at a v busy time.

We have just been a second time to the Levison studios tour and that is astonishingly good. The detail on the props is incredible when you consider very little gets seen on screen. Each of the 25,000 want boxes have hand written labels for example ! All the flyers for the quidditch world cup were perfectly done even though I can't even remember seeing that at all.
    Had a chat to a prop maker who was demonstrating broom making last week and he was chuffed that his work was getting admired rather than stuck in a skip. he was also working on Star wars 7 but he wouldn't tell me anything about it no matter how hard I pressed ;)

keith likes this.
  19. Isafari

Isafari Wild Animal Expert

I did share some photos while we were away a couple of weeks back.
    The wait times were not that bad....even a walk on for the train ride. Stated ten minutes but by the time you walk through the station and up the stairs etc you basically got straight on the train.

20. keith

Did you go really early though?

I mean we'd pretty much want to go mid morning, have a walk around, get the train to the other area look around. Wouldn't go on the major rides just look around the shops etc.

but I dont really want to wait hours just to do that