1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Is there a ponderosa close to disney?

Discussion in 'Restaurants, Dining, Dining Plans' started by buzzchamp, Jan 25, 2009.

1. buzzchamp

buzzchamp Imagineer

we really want to try it but is the ponderosa any good and whats the closest one?

2. malcolm

malcolm Villa Owner

Hi...we now go to Golden Coral on the 535 nr I-4 junct rather than Ponderosa find they have a better selection ....

3. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

There is a Ponderosa on 192 W (not far from the AK/AKL if that helps locate it for you).

Without sounding too stuffy, I'd not recommend Ponderosa. :sorry: It's a buffet that isn't well maintained and unless it is their substandard meat and weird potatoes nearly everything else is a reconstituted mix. We had a family member who worked at a Ponderosa and we've not been able to eat there since (not that we much liked it before, but knowing what goes on behind the scenes really killed it for us). :sorry:

Inexpensive buffets off property are pretty dicey places to try. The only one we've been consistently happy with is Sweet Tomatoes.

4. Dawn

Dawn carpe diem-ing Forum Host

I visited a Ponderosa on I Drive in 1988 and it was awesome. Went there about 4 times during that trip for breakfast and dinner.

Next visit was 1994 and it had gone right downhill. My impression was that they were now catering more and more to a British clientele who were more interested in getting as much food as they could for as little money as possible. Very disappointed and have not returned since.

The place has its supporters though. Try it for yourself and see.

5. BigThunder

BigThunder a cool thingy

Like Dawn said, one should always try for themselves but I know the Ponderosa's in my town are all pretty icky. They just don't seem to clean & seem to be ran by less than top notch people. I haven't eaten at one in years. Of course the ones in Orlando area could very well be much nicer & better maintained as they are in a tourist area.

For just a little more $$, go to a lunch buffet somewhere at WDW like Tusker House ($19.99) at AK. I promise you that you can get a serious eat on at that place!

6. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

We like Sweet Tomatoes too. It's a nice buffet.

I don't usually go to Golden Corral, Ponderosa and those types of places. I know that depending on the location they can be horribly gross or great.

7. candyman

candyman Earning my ears

we just love both ponderosa for breakfast and golden coral for dinner
    the ponderosa on the 192 either way from wdw are both ok but the golden coral on the 192 is better but slightly more expensive
    on the last trip our kids were always falling asleep when we were heading out of the parks for dinner so we used the golden coral take away which was fantastic value
    links to locations here
    http://www.ponderosa-orlando.com/
    steve

8. Mark_W

Mark_W Earning my ears

Where is sweet tomatoes please?

9. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

10. candyman

candyman Earning my ears

as everyone says its horses for courses
    looking at the menu there is not anything at all our family would eat on there out of choice but we have friends who swear by the place
    steve