1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Is there Wi-fi in Disney World?

Discussion in 'General' started by Motts, Mar 16, 2011.

1. Motts

Motts Earning my ears

Hello,
    We are planning on going to Disney World for the 1st time. In my plannings, I picked up an interesting ipod touch app that I would like to use-but because I have a touch and not the iphone, I need wifi. Does Disneywold have wifi in the parks?

Thanks!
    Motts
  2. Keith

Keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

hi there and welcome to secrets :secrets3:

Saldy Disneyworld does not have guest wifi access in the parks at the moment. They do have wifi access for cms and cash register charging etc but its not accessible to guests.

There are the odd spots where you may pick up an open access point but basically the answer is sadly no ;(

One solution is a MIFI device which will be bought with a 3g data plan. you keep the little device in your pocket and it converts wifi to 3g so your itouch can use it. Clever really! You can pick them up at bestbuy

3. Motts

Motts Earning my ears

Thanks Keith, I didn't really know there was something like this out there! We will definitely be buying this for our trip, it will come in handy for a number of things!

Motts
  4. catrancher

catrancher Assistant Cruise Director Forum Host

The other possibility is that if your resort has wired internet access in your room, you can get something like an Apple Airport Express, plug the wired internet in your room into it and end up with your own personal wifi setup. It's only in your room, not the parks but it's better than not being able to get on at all.

Tom :)macwave:... wifi for all!)
  5. foreverducky

foreverducky Addicted to Mickey

I think I might be the only person on the planet that enjoys leaving the real world behind when I go to disney. I leave the cell phone at the room and just enjoy being free of technology. :D

However, I do understand that others have obligations and like being connected.
  6. Keith

yeah totally know what you mean, thing is, there are increasingly cool little apps reporting on wait times, maps all sorts which would be cool to have live :/ also blogging and sending photos live etc.
  7. Isafari

Isafari Wild Animal Expert

Are these expensive?
  8. Keith

The problem for ukers is more that so far, they've required people to sign up to an ongoing data tariff with a US address etc.... not sure if thats changed
  9. catrancher

catrancher Assistant Cruise Director Forum Host

Depends on your definition of expensive doesn't it?

At&T has one at Best Buy for 0$. But... you've got to sign up for a two year contract! :eek:

The Verizon one at Best Buy is $149.95 with no contract.

But then you've got to figure the usage charges on top of that. I have no idea what either of these vendors charge for usage.

Tom :)macwave:... left wondering what it really costs!)
  10. Motts

Motts Earning my ears

Thank you all for your great posts! I also think it is great to unplug and just enjoy the parks with the family-however as Keith points out-there are a number of great apps that help enhance the trip-so it's not that we do work while we are on vacation (heck no) we look for deals and other valuable things to help make it all the better. We aren't staying on Disney property so not sure if we will have wifi in the hotel, but I am liking the MIFI gadget. Thanks again Keith-for introducing me to it!:thumbsup: