1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Is upgrading to premium economy worth it?

Discussion in 'Transportation & Travel' started by iluvdisney, Jul 5, 2009.

1. iluvdisney

iluvdisney Imagineer

Weve always travelled in economy with virgin and its ok but last time it was really noisy, is premium economy worth the price and what price would it be?

2. Mandy

Mandy Earning my ears

TBH I wouldn't pay it as I don't think you get much more for your money, I would rather save the money and have it for spending money while i'm there. :)

3. Ursula

Ursula Cast Member

And I disagree :) We always opt for PE now... it means alot to us to have the extra room, we get priority check in, so less of a line, we get more baggage allowance, champagne on boarding although that doesn't really swing it for us. It's definitely the extra room and more comfortable seats for us and on the way back home you don't feel guilty reclining to sleep all the way home because you know you're not cramping the people behind you.

4. Mandy

Mandy Earning my ears

At the end of the day its personal choice really, everyone is different and will have different views on this. :)

5. pigletpete

pigletpete Imagineer

we've done both and its hard for me because I'd say pe is a lot nicer but not really worth the extra you have to pay so I think for us if we have the spare money we'd do it but not if it meant cutting back on anything else

6. Kate

Kate Serious Forum Regular

I wouldnt do it on the flight out but i would for the flight back if we could afford it. We do twilight check-in so theres not much queuing for that anyway and we arent tired on the way out. But, on the way back its much better cus you dont have a huuge check in queue, the seats are much bigger and the extra legroom makes it more comfy!

7. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

yeah what Kate said ! :yes:

HOWEVER, there's a recent twist if you're travelling from Manchester airport where there isn't a twilight checkin.

You now have to either check in online OR at electronic terminals when you get there. Then everyone in economy ends up in the same huge queue! no more days of checking in online and getting into a tiny queue :(

So, all of a sudden the premium economy dedicated check in desk starts looking a LOT nicer

8. Ursula

Ursula Cast Member

But I hear that Virgin are now thinking of reducing the PE baggage allowance too :(

9. pigletpete

pigletpete Imagineer

They've already done it crayola :( comes into effect in September. Down to 23KG same as economy now :( yet another virgin cut

Virgin Atlantic Airways - Popup

10. Britchick

Britchick Cast Member

well it depends how much it is to upgrade, we've been spoilt in the last couple of years and upgraded but for very minimal cost- £100 each for BA and about £70 on our flights to Thailand last year. I'm really not looking forward to economy this summer- although delta has 2" more leg room than other economy so shouldn't be too bad.

11. Dawn

Dawn carpe diem-ing Forum Host

It would have to be seriously cheap for me to upgrade. I'm one of those people who just wants a seat on a plane going in the right direction. I'll put up with a certain amount of discomfort in return for having extra spending money at the other end.

12. goofygal

goofygal Imagineer

we really like premium economy upstairs in the bubble, it's not as good downstairs.

upstairs is much quieter and theres just no stress. although it is more we save all year or maybe 2 so when it comes to it, we'll splash out

13. piglet

piglet Serious Forum Regular

tbh if you can afford it go for it. I love PE, especially in the bubble. There is so much more space, the aisle is a lot wider, there are more stewards/esses per passenger and it just seems so much more civilised. You also get off the plane that much quicker so you get at least 5 minutes longer in Orlando :thumbsup:

14. Ursula

Ursula Cast Member

Which does help because if you're hiring a car you get to the front of the line first.

15. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

When we flew to the UK in 2007 I booked PE on BA. They upgraded us to Club World on the way over but we had PE on the way back. I was less than impressed. However, the cost for PE was insignificant if I remember correctly.

16. premier travel

premier travel Forum Advertiser

If there is a deal around we upgrade, this summer Virgin were offering Upper Class in
    the summer to Miami at just over 1100 pounds per person. Now that is well worth it nice beds, food, use of the first class lounge at heathrow etc etc

17. ukwdwnut

ukwdwnut Director of Recruitment Forum Host

if i could afford it i would as my boy and my nephew got upgraded to PE last trip and they said it was really good and one of them got asked if they wanted to ugrade again to upperclass :) but declined the offer

18. Debbie2

Debbie2 Speedy!

I have flown PE in the bubble and loved it.

I can't access PE upstairs with DS any more which leaves me the option of two rows downstairs and I am usually allocated the bulkhead row behind these anyway. So now there is no increase baggage allowance I would not be pay to upgrade unless it was a ridiculously good deal...which is highly unlikely.

I'd love to do UCS one day.

19. V-1

V-1 Earning my ears

Hi there :wave:

I know this is an older thread but i would just like to add some pics that i recently came across that may help with you question.
    Of course everyone has different thoughts on it but we love PE in the bubble it is so much quieter than downstairs, so much so i acually get some sleep.

Now these are the older seats that are on the Gatwick / Manchester fleet but IMHO i like them better than the new purple leather ones but that is just me.

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 6, 2009
  20. piglet

piglet Serious Forum Regular

Unfortunately these are the new updates and they've not upgraded the LGW MCO flights yet and I think they are not going to do them due to the economic situation in the situation. Still really prefer PE

'champagne on boarding although that doesn't really swing it for us'. Unfortuantely I'm really shallow and the offer of free champagne does it for me every time :yes: