1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Is virgin premium economy worth double?

Discussion in 'Transportation & Travel' started by disneymom, Jan 20, 2009.

1. disneymom

disneymom Imagineer

Im sure its been asked before :sorry: but if we upgraded our premium economy tickets would be double + £100 each economy ticket for later this year. 300 economy and 690 each premium

is it really worth that? I know its better but that much better?

2. MystikPiglit

MystikPiglit Peace, Love and Mickey Mouse

That's a tricky question...it depends if it's worth it to you.

Personally speaking, we wouldn't go if we had to travel economy. I suffer from claustrophobia so I need the feeling of more room around me, the bigger seats and the (relative) peace & quiet.

If you enjoy flying and don't mind having people all around you, then it's probably not worth the extra to you. :)

3. Slowhand

Slowhand Cruise Director Forum Host

We normally fly PE on the outward bound journey and UC on the way back...thanks to our FC miles.
    Hand on heart though I wouldn`t say it`s worth double the fare. True you get more legroom and priority check-in/boarding, but that`s about it!
    As MP said, it`s down to whether or not you feel that these few benefits are worth paying the extra £££`s.

A compromise maybe would be for you to try PE on the return journey only, when hopefully you will be able to get some sleep in more comfort.

4. daveann

daveann Addicted to Mickey

i would deffinately fly home that way as it gives you a better chance to sleep

5. Skywatcher

Skywatcher Chief Astronomer

I am quite tall and have long legs and had a really bad experience in economy once - we were upgraded for the return flight as it was our Honeymoon and they couldn't seat us together - it was an absolute joy. Since then we have always gone PE but mainly because we have the virgin atlantic CC and have signed up to their miles + money /companion seat programme which takes a big hit off the seat rate.

What this means to us is the difference between dreading the flight going out and coming back - if you can afford it it is a fantastic luxury - check in is lovely as you have your own desk and they take your badgs off first as well so you are through tghge airport double quick

is it worth putting the holiday fund at risk for - no, not at all - especially if there are lots in your party the extra £££ really then start to add up

6. Britchick

Britchick Serious Forum Regular

that's a difficult question, that is a good price for premium albeit double. If it put your holiday spends at risk i would say no but if you can afford it go for it. The last couple of times we have flown long haul we have flown premium and i will surely miss it this summer but we will get BA club next year with air miles, like Skywatcher we have a BA CC and put everything we possibly can on their to get extra miles. TBH i can't sleep at all on the way back anyway.

7. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

Very hard one for me to answer too.

I think my feelings boil down to this:-

Are the extras worth double, absolutely not. Sadly the seat pitch in virgin economy is really bad nowadays v other airlines, some seats much worse than others too. So in a way THAT makes PE seem even better than it should do by comparison

PE benefits are few and far between in my opinion

but ( cry sob ) as skywatcher said, I too dread the flight going home and I don't if I'm in PE or upper :/

then again, as Britchick says, even in PE I cant sleep at all :(

It's really as everyone says, PE is the minimum that any sane person would *want* to fly in because economy is so cramped these days BUT at the money they're charging, I think it's an extravagance

8. Britchick

Britchick Serious Forum Regular

i'm flying delta to atlanta this summer and their seat pitch/width seems much better.

9. candyman

candyman Earning my ears

from a personal view i just would not go if i had to go economy mainly due to the fact that i have a large bum and it just does not go well in the small economy seats . we flew the last 2 in upper class and on the way out we tried the PE seats and they were very very comfy . tbh the big thing i will miss on our next trip when we go PE in place of UC is the club house at both ends they are so so peace full and the fact that there is virtualy no limit on the baggage

steve

10. Dizneyblonde

Dizneyblonde Secret's Birthday Fairy!

I'd love to go PE but it takes me years to save for the holiday itself so upgrading too is out of the question!

I say if you can afford it then go for it!

11. Debbie2

Debbie2 Speedy!

Totally agree with Keith. I never managed to sleep even when we went PE upstairs front row. DD and DH were totally unimpressed as the service little different to Economy.Having done PE once we are now back to Economy.