1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Isafari at Islands of Adventure and Blue man group Jan 2008

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by Isafari, Jun 29, 2008.

1. Isafari

Isafari Wild Animal Expert

Today is Friday 4th January and we had decided last night to turn all alarms off for a lie in this morning. I was quite shocked when I woke up to see that it was 9.30am. DH was already up but I couldn’t hear him anywhere. When I looked out of the bedroom window, there he was…..having a relaxing swim in the pool. This was one of those content moments when I wished we lived here with no worries.

It was about 11am before we reached the car park at Universal. We are parked in Jaws again. It didn’t seem too busy at the moment and when we were on the moving walkway towards the park entrance, we got a show all to ourselves! As I said, it wasn’t too busy and once on the moving walkway, we decided to actually walk too as there was only the one teenage boy further up. The closer we got to this boy, we could see that he was getting really excited about the prospect of what the day held for him and he was dancing away to himself. As we were approaching him, he turned and smiled at us and we returned the smile with happy faces. Now, as we actually got closer to him, he decided to turn his dance into something else. (He was showing off as he thought he was a bit of a groover) He faced the handrail, took hold of it with both hands, crouched down and began to gyrate to the music. He was so happy. Unfortunately, he also showed us his derriere as his trousers slipped down to reveal a very white butt. Now, this gave me the giggles as he really didn’t mean to do this and I think DH just got a tad embarrassed! Anyway, we hurried past him and left him to it. Now, since we are home, and DH sees me a bit down, he……..that’s enough info but, I can tell you, he makes me laugh too. DH will kill me if he reads this. I’d just like to add this message for DH (just in case) “I love you very very very much”

So, we go through the bag check and head towards IoA. We stop off for a Cinnabon to share as it would be very rude not to (don’t you think?) Absolutely delicious.

[​IMG][/IMG]

Now this is one of my least favourite parks because we aren’t big on rides but we love to people watch and this park is great for photo opportunities too. We start off going anti clockwise. We don’t even get to Seuss Landing when I need to visit the little girls’ room so, DH waits outside while I powder my nose. When I come back out, he is now standing by the cart that sells drinks and is waving his hand for me to come over. Apparently, while waiting for me, he was looking in the bushes (as you do) where he has spotted a black bag. He didn’t pick it up in case it was something sinister…..he just goes and reports it. The girl at the cart has called security. (Can I just come to DH’s rescue here….he was looking in the bushes because he was looking for butterfly shots with his new camera lens he has just bought) Anyway, he doesn’t want to leave until he finds out if the bag holds something we need to be running out of the park from or wads of cash! So…..fast-forward 45 minutes of PPRECIOUS PARK TIME and security finally comes. DH takes the lead and security follows him to the bushes. I am still by the cart, arms folded and bored. Anyway, I see DH pointing and security step over the railings to recover……A SANDBAG…..yes, you read that right…..A SANDBAG!!!!!!! Well, this is a sure good time for me to have a giggle right now. Ok, I am laughing hard and not feeling sorry at all for a red faced DH who wants to move on now.

Where was I (sorry that I keep getting side tracked) oh yes….we go into Seuss Landing. Isn’t it just amazing here? I feel like four years old and I have the urge to skip. We decide to ride The Cat in the Hat as it is about the only thing in this park my stomach can handle. When we come out of here, we pose for photos with Thing1 and Thing2. You really need to look around in this section and take in the wonderfully shaped bushes and trees in this make believe land. And the smell of candy that you have the whole time finishes off this section perfectly. There is not a single straight line anywhere…. palm trees, curved by the winds of Huricane Andrew were even installed in the area to continue this theme.

[​IMG][/IMG] [​IMG][/IMG]

Now we head into the Lost Continent. This island is themed to ancient myths and legends. We go into Poseidon’s Fury as it’s a couple of years since we’ve done this special effects show. My favourite part is walking through the tunnel of whirling water.

We then wander over to have loads of photos taken outside of Mythos….very pretty. When we are all smiled out, we spend some time with the Mystic Fountain. A few kids are screaming in delight when it sings to them before squirting them. They can’t understand how it’s talking to them and asking them questions. We ask one kid to go up and ask it if Mickey Mouse is here today but then we make a sharp exit before we see what the reaction was.

[​IMG][/IMG]

There isn’t a Sinbad show starting for quite some time so we wander past and DH has a go on Duelling Dragons while I sit in the sun and take photos and people watch.

[​IMG][/IMG]

On to Jurassic Park. Another great themed area where we fake horror at the dinosaur sticking it’s head out of the trees etc…..I bet you’ve all done that photo! There are lots of eating places at IoA….just thought I’d mention that.

[​IMG][/IMG]

Yay! Toon Lagoon next with all of the water based rides. Now, we don’t do any of the rides here but spend ages squirting people for 25c a shot…..IoA have even put a machine there for me to change notes into 25c. I am spending a fortune and loving it. A tap on the shoulder and I turn around and this guy is standing there…..water dripping from his hair. He asks if that was me and I open my mouth, turn my head towards DH who is still squirting folk and I point to my loving husband. It’s simple…..don’t go on a water ride if you don’t want to get wet is what I say.

[​IMG][/IMG]

Super Hero Island next. Here you will find rides inspired by the Marvel comics. The only ride my stomach lets me do here is Spiderman but there is quite a queue so we skip it for today. Most of the rides here make me feel ill just watching them. Did you know that the initial launch at the beginning of Doctor Doom uses more thrust than a 747 jet engine and accelerates faster than the space shuttle…..well you do now. DH gets me to pose by the Incredible Hulk coaster for one last photo here before we head for something to eat.

I can’t remember the name of the place we ate at….it was something like Confisco Grill. Anyway, we got there just in time and were the last people allowed in. We both ordered the ‘soup and a half’ which I really enjoyed. It was just enough to satisfy. The soup was potato and leek which was very tasty. The ‘half’ was a turkey and bacon croissant which came with some melon, strawberries and potato salad. I had a cherry coke while DH had the banana milkshake. The bill was only $16 before tip.

Well, now it’s time to head over to see The Blue man Group. You may or may not remember that I had doubts about going here as I am rather shy and had heard that people from the audience get ‘picked on’ from the blue men. So, tell me why I booked front row seats….poncho section. The staff are very friendly and we take our seats….at the front. As the place fills up, neon rolling signs are shown at the front of the theatre which are quite funny and get everyone in a good mood. We are then told that the first four rows have ponchos and we should maybe put them on now. I put mine on and I even put the hood up. I’m not one for participation and I hate folk looking at me so I hope I can sit here and sink into my seat….that’ll make me invisible to all blue people.

[​IMG][/IMG]

The show starts and I begin to shake…..really….my legs are jumping up and down. I’m not going in to too much detail here as I know a lot of people haven’t seen this show yet and I don’t want to spoil it for them. It’s very loud in parts and parts are in the dark.
    I am having a blast!!!! Don’t get me wrong. I haven’t been this nervous since I got a tooth pulled out and I stay with those nerves all night. But, do you know what? It was the best night out I’ve had in a very, very long time. I laughed so hard in parts that I cried. This show is amazing. Everything from the Toblerone to the marshmallows, to the erm….shall we say colourful gobstopper paintings was fascinating. There was quite a bit of audience interaction but, no matter where you sit, if a Blue Man wants you he will crawl over chairs and people to get to you. Every time a Blue Man looked at me I’d quickly avert my eyes elsewhere because if I can’t see him….then he can’t see me……WRONG……

[​IMG][/IMG]

Can I just add that if you sit too far back, I don’t think you’ll be able to read some of the signs that are part of the show. We had our photos taken with a couple of the Blue Men when the show was over….even then they stayed totally expressionless and silent. DH bought a t/shirt from the shop before we left and we talked non stop about the show all the way back to the villa.

[​IMG][/IMG]

2. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

I wish I wasn't too chicken to see BMG :eek:

I love your trip reports with all the pictures, really brings it alive

3. Isafari

I was shaking with fear throughout the show but had the time of my life...it really is amazing.

4. nannav

nannav Earning my ears

dd 21 wants to see blue group but we have her ds1 and mydd7 and all us adults would love to go so we will have to see it another time:rolleyes008: suess land is one of our favourites :lol:to it we are surprising her with the caracter breakfast at confisco grill also with her other favourite spiderman cant wait to see her face;)

5. piglet

piglet Serious Forum Regular

Great report Diane, we absolutely loved BMG especially the ending. Really couldn't believe the end could go on for sooo long :lol: Your poor husband how embarrased he must have been especially with you laughing your head off but hey sandbag..handbag.. it's nearly the same word :lol:

6. Isafari

The adults could always do the BMG in two groups so that one evening each group could take the kids somewhere.

:rolleyes008: I can't take him anywhere:lol:

7. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

We did the BMG in July. It was quite interesting.

I love the picture of your DH with the dino :p015:

8. Jazmine

Jazmine Dancing Queen!

Keith dont be a baby :lol:you have to see the BMG as Diane says it`s fab best show ive seen in ages
    Jacqui :hug2:xxx

9. Mags

Mags Serious Forum Regular

Great report. im so looking forward to seeing the blue Man Group. i wasnt very sure about it either but most reports are very good. I hope they dont get me - Im about 8 rows back!

Margaret

10. Isafari

Oh....if they want you, they'll climb over chairs and peoples heads to get you:lol:

11. Jazmine

Jazmine Dancing Queen!

:yes: they climbed over the seat behind me to get to this guy, then they put a camera into his mouth and you could see right down his throat, it came up on the big screen, and if they want you they`ll get you :lol:great fun :yes:
    Jacqui xxx

12. Mags

Mags Serious Forum Regular

Dont say that Diane!:shocked025: I cant stand any attention focussed on me. The last time I was at WDW I exited the Kali River Rapids in a long poncho and flip flops only to see someone point and chant 'cheat cheat cheat' as I went past. The whole line then started the chant and pointed. Exit - one very red faced mortified Mum and two kids.By the time I got to the exit there were about 50 people chanting. The thought of being picked on - yikes!! :ashamed008:

Margaret

13. Isafari

I've started to try and think along the lines of.....they're never going to see me again in my life so what if I do make a fool of myself.

14. Dizneyblonde

Dizneyblonde Secret's Birthday Fairy!

I've just re-read this as we REALLY want to see BMG in August so i'm trying to justify the price of tickets which is now £50 each.

I really hope my parents, who were going to buy us tickets as a Christmas present before the $ rate bumped the price up, offer us the money to put tomwards tickets o i can finance the rest myself.

It looks sooooo much fun.
    Now we are staying at RPR for a week we aren't restricted with dates either.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2009
  15. foreverducky

foreverducky Addicted to Mickey

Great day!! Thank you for sharing with us. I love the photos. I love the one where you are 'driving' with the police officer. :lol:

Also, I always wonder what kind of paint those guys have on?? I mean it's all over their eyes!? :unsure:

16. Jazmine

Jazmine Dancing Queen!

Try and go hun they are soooo good, i actually just received a ticket alert from Ticketmaster, they are appearing in Glasgow on the 22nd May this year tickets on sale Saturday going to try and get them £39.50 :hug2:

17. Dizneyblonde

Dizneyblonde Secret's Birthday Fairy!

I know that's what we saw today.They are at the 02 arena for the same price but we'd still have to get there and home again.

I know mum and dad wanted to pay for the tickets but some money towards them would be just as appreciated.