1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Isafari live from Orlando - but West Palm Beach today!

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by Isafari, Aug 11, 2011.

1. Isafari

Isafari Wild Animal Expert

:wave: Hi guys.

I am very tired tonight so just a teeny tiny report.

We left real early this morning and drove to West Palm Beach. Veryeasy drive and we arrived at around 9.40am.
    Our aim today was to just vist the zoo here. It's not a huge zoo but it sure kept us entertained for the day.

We found some discount coupons at a garage on the way which got us $4 off the entry (every little helps)
    When we looked at the map of the zoo we thought we'd just be there for a couple of hours.

The weather was really great right now and many kids (and a few bikini clad mums) appeared in the fountains to cool off.

Our highlights of the morning were the brown bears. They were only inches away and they were stunning. They then went over to some logs and started to roll over them like it was some sort of game.

The jaguar was great fun. He was in his pool and having the time of his life with a ball. He didn't mind being submerged at all and often went totally under the water. He was so full of life and I can't wait to see the photos and video we have of him. We spent ages with him.

I was looking forward to the koalas but their enclosure windows were full of condensation and you couldn't see them.

The tiger enclosure was very disappointing.....they have two cubs which I was so anxious to see and they weren't out today. It was just Dad. The tigers here are Malaysian so not the biggest of beasts....but you still wouldn't want to upset them! The male that we saw was pure muscle.

We came across the restaurant and were feeling rather peckish as we'd eaten breakfat real early this morning before we set off. So, we went for a bight to eat just as the heavens opened. I'm talking real heavy rain with the accompanying thunder. Afte we ate we hung around on the terrace for another 45 minutes until the downpour turned to rain - and got on with our day. It rained for maybe another 45 minutes.

The baby wallabies were so darn cute I was desperate to cuddle them. They were still feeding off Mum who wa so patient with them. We then spotted a one legged bird (for the life of me I can't remember what species he was) who was quite happy with the wallabies....and he was called David so DH took a shine to him. The zoo vets had made him a false leg after an injury left no choice but to amputate.

This zoo has no elephants, giraffes, lions, hippos, rhino but they do have lots of other smaller animals to keep your attention. We watched as a Colobus monky peeled leaves off a branch and gave them to his partner to eat. We saw an albino alligator, bush dogs, sloth, birds, kangaroo, anteaters and many other animals.

Oh, how could I forget the tapirs. They were also in the water for quite some time and can swim underwater and come up where you'd least expect them to. They were adorable.

We stayed at the zoo until it was about to close at 5.30pm and headed to the Hilton Garden Inn where I am right now. We had dinner at the hotel restaurant and it was pretty bad. We both left about 80% of the food and seeing as we are hungry, that's not very good food!!

Going to watch a film on my netbook and fall asleep. Will post photos when we get home.

Tomorrow we are off to Butterfly World about 15 minutes away from here.

Speak to you all again soon :hug2:

2. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

Sounds like you had a great day Diane, the journey didn't take too long either, I was worried you might get caught up with the morning rush hours.

I hope you told the restaurant manager about the food, they shouldn't have charged you for it.

3. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

Except for the food sounds like you had a great day.

4. DisneyFreak

DisneyFreak Serious Forum Regular

Was this Lion Country Safari in Loxahatchee, FL? They are directly west of West Palm Beach. If not I would highly recommend this for your next trip!! They have a drive through safri and a regular walk around area. You can also feed Giraffes here.

5. Kate

Kate Serious Forum Regular

That sounds like a fun day! Did you make any animal friends today or is it just the ones at BG which are partial to you?!

6. daveann

daveann Addicted to Mickey

i love reading on the spot trip reports :)

7. chief

chief Earning my ears

glad you had another great day. i love reading your trip reports too, :yes:

8. Isafari

Isafari Wild Animal Expert

No, the animals thought I was average Joe today :lol:

No, it was West Palm Beach Zoo. We are actually going to Lion Country tomorrow. We were there about 3 years back and loved it.

No, we did the British thing and said everything was fine!!!

9. BUTTERHEAD1

BUTTERHEAD1 Addicted to Mickey

I guess there must be som British in me because I do the same thing. I never complain and I have never sent food back, too afraid what the cook might do to it.

Sounds like a fun Zoo. I have never been up close and personal with any of the big cats and would love to someday try the Lion Safari.

10. ukwdwnut

ukwdwnut Director of Recruitment Forum Host

sounds like you both had another good day diane. thx for sharing :)