1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Isafari live from Orlando

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by Isafari, Aug 9, 2011.

1. Isafari

Isafari Wild Animal Expert

:wave:

Just a minnie trippie. Just basically thinking out loud and typing what comes to me before I fall asleep. Using the netbook so please forgive any spacing issues etc.

Had a wonderful day at Busch Gardens today. We got there for the park opening and left at 9pm.

Out first port of call was Walkabout Way to see Bendar and Pok. Bendar is my fave kangaroo at the park. He is 15 years old and so adorable. I always make a beeline for him when I have kangaroo food. He always holds on to your arm while he eats from your hand and often puts his head right next to yours. Pok is DH's fave and he is an albino wallaby. We always enjoy this time with these guys before other park guests arrive. We come out needing a good wash at the bath tubs outside the exit.

Next we head to the new cheetah area. They have the cheetah cub and a puppy out together. These guys have been brought up together and will spend their lives as companions. They are so adorable to watch and I hope we have some amazing photos of this.
    DH then has a ride on the new Cheetah roller coaster which has a wait of only 10 minutes. He loves it and announces it is now his fave coaster.

Now we're off to see the tigers at Jungala. They are all still fast asleep so we hang around for a while and four of them wake up and go for a morning swim before going back to sleep! I buy a t/shirt 3 sizes too big with a tiger face on the front and the words....extinction is for life. It's now my new nighty!

Orangutans next. I get the same response as previous visits which is now getting embarrassing! For some resaon, they love me. I walk in and stand to the side of the crowd which are watching one orangutan. She spots me and comes over to me, looking into my face and standing up. the crowd follow her. I interact with her for a little while and move away so others can get a look in. She follows me. I say hello. The crowd follow. I move further along the glass so others can see her. She follows me. This happens every time I'm here - they either think I'm their Mum, in which case I need a shave or, I must look like one of their keepers. When we go back later in the day, this is repeated and people are asking if the animals know me and mothers are getting their children to follow me for photo opportunities.

Next we go visit Simon, Iris and Rose. I just love the lions. We say hello to a keeper who we have met a few times in the past and she gets DH to play with Rose....running back and forth in front of the glass while being chased by Rose. Lions are fairly lazy animals and it's hard to see who tires first. It starts to rain and we are in the perfect spot for Simon to seek shelter right next to us.....Heaven!

Next stop is the hippos and we catch a hippo upside down in the water kicking his legs above the surface. Not sure if this was intentional or not!

We have lunch at Crown Colony Restaurant. We ask for a window seat with a view over the Serengetti so we can watch the giraffe, zebra, ostrich etc while we eat our salads. I follow mine with chocolate cake and DH has the white chocolate and raspberry cheesecake. Wish I ordered the cheesecake!

It starts to rain again pretty heavily so we jump under a huge canopy next to the cheetahs. The adults are out now and we find that they actually love the rain. They play and run all over the exhibit. Hopefully we have good photos of this too. we watch them until the rain stops.

We head over to the Curiosity Caverns area and I see my very first aardvark (sp!) How adorable! I also see my very first fennec fox who is so adorable with his huge ears and tiny body.

On to the cable cars. This is a nice ride over the park and one of the elephants is in the pool which was great to watch if only for about 10 seconds before we are too far out of sight.

As you can gather, this park is all about the animals for us and we have a great day. The apes were also great to watch as were the otters and hyenas etc.

We just took our time and had a wonderful day.

On the journey back to the villa it was now dark. We spotted a car about three cars ahead of us on the I4 with no lights on at all. After a few minutes the driver must have realised and the lights went on. A few minutes later, DH went into the left lane, passed a couple of cars and as we were passing the car that had previously no lights - they ran us off the road!!!! The driver mustn't have looked at all. All I saw was this car turning into us. I shouted at Dave and he quickly had to go into the hard shoulder to avoid a very nasty accident.

2. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

I love the interaction with the orangutans!

3. robertcraig

robertcraig Serious Forum Regular

Airdrie, North Lanarkshire, United Kingdom
    DO you recomend the crown colony resturant and do you have to make reservatioons

4. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

Diane, I can't even remember the last time I visited Busch Gardens in Florida. However, I know you do it frequently and your trip reports always sound FANTASTIC. I would love to get that close to the animals.

5. foreverducky

foreverducky Addicted to Mickey

I can't believe I lived in the Tampa area for two years and never went to Busch Gardens. I have only 2 excuses: 1, graduate school and 2, well it was way over there and I was way over on the other side of town. Shame.

Sounds wonderful! Can't wait to see your photos when you get back.

6. daveann

daveann Addicted to Mickey

sounds like the animals were on form for your visit :)

7. chief

chief Earning my ears

glad you had a good day:wave:

8. Kate

Kate Serious Forum Regular

BG is fab, love it there! I wonder whats going on with you and the orangutans? Whatever it is, you are very lucky to have such a wonderful thing with them!
    Loved the mini tr - thank you!

9. ukwdwnut

ukwdwnut Director of Recruitment Forum Host

diane what a great mini trippie i loved reading it :yes:

you have such a way with animal, you are totally in the wrong job they seem to love you, obviously they know you now by the amount of times you go

BG sounds so different to when i went in 2000, i didnt like it at all, but i now think its worth another visit if i ever get back to florida

thx for sharing and cant wait to see the photos :D

10. Isafari

Thanks for taking the time to read my mini trippie guys.
    I really do love Busch Gardens and we are going back next week.

11. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

Diane, we are somehow going to have to work it out so that you are in Orlando at the same time as us. Then you can take me to BG and introduce me to your friends. :tongue:

12. Isafari

Would love to :D

13. Tinkfan

Tinkfan Earning my ears

I agree!!!Love the interaction!!!!