1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Islands of Adventure Orlando to Test New Ride Reservation System

Discussion in 'Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure News & Rumo' started by Wendy, Aug 8, 2012.

1. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

Universal Studios Orlando is testing a new system to skip the lines at select attractions at their Islands of Adventure. The Universal Ride Reservation System will let guests reserve the time they want to ride using a small interactive pager.

us-ride-reservation-system.jpg

The new interactive pager, which is being dubbed the U-Bot, will let guests make a reservation by selecting the attraction they want to ride and then press the action button to reserve the attraction time. When the reservation is ready the device will vibrate, and you can go to the attraction any time after the reservation time and use the Express entrance. Any reservations you make won't expire until they are used or cancelled.

Things to note are:

• Only one ride reservation can be programmed at a time.
    • Guests may cancel their reservation at any time and reserve a different attraction.
    • Reservations can be made and canceled from anywhere in the park.
    • Up to six people can share a device but each rider will need to rent the system.
    • The device is water resistant.

The new system is currently testing and the rental costs $49.99 for unlimited use or $39.99 for one use per attraction.

2. Suebeattie

Suebeattie Addicted to Mickey

Sounds good on paper but it seems a bit cheeky to charge so much for it on top of the admission cost. :eek:

:wiggle:

3. Wendy

The price is silly isn't it :nono:

4. Slowhand

Slowhand Cruise Director Forum Host

There`s no way that I would pay to go on ANY ride in ANY theme park after I had already coughed up the park admission fee. :thumbsdown:

5. DisneyFreak

DisneyFreak Serious Forum Regular

Wow...an additional $50?!? I see epic failure here.

For me, at least at Disney, waiting in line is part of the whole experience. I may use fastpass 10% of the time on a handful of the big attractions but if Disney ever decided to charge for this service there is no way I would use it.

6. Sam

Sam Imagineer

:point: $50 :ROFL: they're having a laugh. They can take a run and jump as far as I'm concerned, I certainly wouldn't pay that amount.

7. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

I think it will be a hit. It's good for up to 6 people and only the one price? Very good idea for people who are staying in a house or villa and who can't or don't stay Onsite at Universal.

8. Sam

Sam Imagineer

I think you're probably right actually, there would be a few people using it, It's just the price, mind you if you've enough adults in the group you could share the price. I suppose if you're short on time at the park it would useful, but adding another $100 ( we are a group of 7) for us on top of the ticket price is a bit much just for 1 day.

I actually read it wrong when it said up to 6 people could use it but would have to rent a device each, I thought it meant they would have to pay for their device also. I pressume they pay the $50 just once then each other person gets the device at no extra charge. That's a little better.

9. Beccaberry

Beccaberry She's beccalicious! Forum Host

Oh wait, maybe I read it wrong. I thought it said that up to six people can share the reservation device, but they each had to pay the 50 (or 40) dollar fee. (Meaning, for instance, that for our family of 4, it would be an additional 200 bucks).

This is the way they do it at Six Flags in Texas. It can get pretty pricey on top of the original entrance fee.

10. Johnie

Lol well I think we are all unclear. If each person has to pay $50 then that is too much IMO. If its a $50 charge and 6 people can use it then I think it's not a bad idea.

11. Johnie

Ok read it again Each person has to get the device. No. That's too much.

Quite frankly it is just easier and cheaper to get an Onsite hotel room for the night. You get the FOTL benefits for the day you check in AND the day you check out. Almost all of the rooms sleep 5. And you can get some awesome rates with AAA or an AP

12. Wendy

Maybe that's US's idea, to confuse everyone so they will ask about it :unsure: It's certainly not very clear.

13. Johnie

Lol yes confusion is the key to making people but stuff.

14. Beccaberry

Beccaberry She's beccalicious! Forum Host

Absolutely agree - if you can pay $50 for up to 6 people that certainly makes it a bit easier to swallow than per person. Still, I suspect the idea of having to "pay" for something that Disney offers "free" will be hard to swallow. Then again, we pay per tickets for "hopper" privileges and "no expiration" privileges, so I suppose if it were important enough...this might be something people are willing to pay for. The question is...how much :)