1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

It's Official Avatar Land to Open in 2017 at Animal Kingdom

Discussion in 'Walt Disney World News & Rumors' started by Wendy, Oct 13, 2013.

1. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

It has been two years since Walt Disney World announced it would build Avatar Land at Animal Kingdom. There has been no information released about the planned park until now, on Friday, at a conference in Japan, Tom Staggs, chairman of Disney’s parks division, released the first renderings of Avatar Land and announced that it will open in 2017.

At the first ever D23 Expo in Japan, Disney shared an early glimpse of the plans for Avatar Land at Disney’s Animal Kingdom and also revealed some images and a short video.

When Avatar Land was first announced, Disney said that James Cameron and Lightstorm Entertainment would be joining the team and work alongside Disney Imagineering to bring the World of Pandora to life.

Concept art of the park’s attractions show Guests walking through the world of the Navi both by day and night. Guests will also see floating mountains and wander through a night time jungle of bioluminescent plants that are alive with light and sound. Guests will also discover what it feels like to soar into the sky riding a Banshee.

Also at the conference, Tom Staggs also announced that Animal Kingdom will get new entertainment experiences, “including a new night time spectacular where live music, floating lanterns, water screens and swirling animal imagery all combine to bring a show to Discovery River that will delight guests.” In addition, the park — which has the resort’s earliest closing times, typically 5 or 6 p.m. — will get night time entertainment, including live performers on Discovery Island and a night time version of Kilimanjaro safaris.

The Tree of Life seen in the artwork will be transformed into the “Mother Tree” from Avatar at night using electronics and light projections during a new night time spectacular experience

Avatar is beginning to take shape as a concept for Disney’s Animal Kingdom, but the timeline is now roughly four years until the new land opens in conjunction with bringing nightlife to the park that normally closes early. That long timeframe indicates these concepts are still not quite firm and more details will be revealed in the coming months and years.

2. robertcraig

robertcraig Serious Forum Regular

Airdrie, North Lanarkshire, United Kingdom
    Looks very impressive the night time entertainment is something that is needed

3. Shellyamc

Shellyamc Serious Forum Regular

This still makes me grumpy, but we shall see. I would loved to be proven wrong on this :)

4. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

Sigh, I was really hoping they would not do this. And now they are changing the tree of life. Gotta make you wonder what parts of the park will be open at night.

5. Britchick

Britchick Serious Forum Regular

They're only putting things on there for the nighttime display. Shouldn't interfere with the look during the day.

I'm really looking forward to it!

6. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

So am I and it will be nice to stay in AK after dark :yes:

7. MystikPiglit

MystikPiglit Peace, Love and Mickey Mouse

No, I don't like this at all. :(
    Any AK expansion should have more realism, not shiny night-time stuff. I think it will detract from the beauty, peace and quiet around the Tree. :thumbsdown:

8. *Bambi-Belle*

*Bambi-Belle* Imagineer

I always thought the Animal kingdom closed before dark because the animals need peace and rest. I also thought Avatar was just an ok movie but hey ho! I hope the land turns out great.

9. Watchinherskip

Watchinherskip Better known as "That Guy"

Yeah....not sure about this. Think it will get dated REALLY fast.