1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Itunes question

Discussion in 'Gadgets and Gizmos' started by foreverducky, Nov 27, 2009.

1. foreverducky

foreverducky Addicted to Mickey

How would get my itunes from one laptop to another? I don't want to have to load all the songs back on to another (should I just buy a new one).

2. Britchick

Britchick Serious Forum Regular

exellent question, :sitsback:

3. foreverducky

And here I thought you were going to be brilliant. :tongue:

Waiting together. :handinhand:

4. catrancher

catrancher Assistant Cruise Director Forum Host

Wait no more!

Okay. We can do this. Here's a complete tutorial on how to move and/or copy your iTunes library:

Transferring your iTunes Library

However, if you're only trying to move your iTunes library to another machine, you only need to really pay attention to the section of that tutorial called "Moving your Content to a New Computer".

Basically, to do what you've described (which I think, is to move your entire iTunes library to a different machine), you just copy over your whole iTunes library folder. However, you need to make sure it's in the same location on the new machine as it is on the old machine. So, if you're on Windows XP still and using the default iTunes location, your iTunes library is probably in "C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\My Documents\My Music\iTunes. You'll need to make sure that you put it in the same place on your new machine.

Here's the default locations for the iTunes library on the various Windows platforms:
    • In Windows Vista, the default location is: \username\Music\iTunes.
    • In Windows 7, the default location is: \username\My Music\iTunes.
    • In Windows XP and Windows 2000, the default location is \Documents and Settings\username\My Documents\My Music\iTunes.

You can use a simple USB thumb drive to copy over the library as long as you have one big enough.

Once you're done, configure your new machine to look for the iTunes library in the same place as the old one. This is mentioned in the article. Also, don't forget to authorize your new computer to your iTunes account. That will allow you to play purchased content on your new computer. You can authorize up to 5 computers at a time.

Tom :)macwave:... hope this helps! Let me know if there's more questions.)

5. foreverducky

:worship:thank you!