1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Jedi Training Academy - 3 year old?

Discussion in 'Walt Disney World' started by CouchFisher, Nov 13, 2012.

1. CouchFisher

CouchFisher Earning my ears

For good or bad, my kids are Star Wars junkies. They love the movies, constantly dress as Jedi Knights and manage to relate all conversation to Star Wars. We're headed down to WDW in January and my 3 year 3 month old son wants nothing more than to "strike down Darth Vader." I know that the age restrictions say 4-12 years but he has been talking about this for months, not even knowing that we're going. Do you think there is any way to get passed the age restriction? We're letting them know Xmas morning, I want to make sure we set expectations clearly so his feelings don't get hurt.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
  2. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

Usually Disney is really strict about age restrictions. I've seen the Jedi Academy several times, but I don't know how they determine age. Perhaps they simply ask the parents? :unsure:
  3. Mari

Mari Serious Forum Regular

from what Ive seen, they ask the parents.

I wouldnt promise anything, but talk to the cast members when you get there, who knows! If he's such a die hard fan, they might let him join the fun
  4. Britchick

Britchick Forum Host Forum Host

i guess it depends on the 3/4 year old but i don't know that many would be that confident to be up on the stage and be able to participate that well. I think if it was me i'd wait until they were a little older.
  5. maverick

maverick Earning my ears

Couchfisher (and/or anybody else), how did your trip go? I'm heading to WDW in May with a son who will be about that same age that you were describing, and wondering if we might be able to send him through the Academy.

Thanks!
  6. CouchFisher

The trip went great! Three children 5 & under (5,3,1) given the circumstances- went very well.

So, regarding our little Jedi. He waited through the line to signup for the academy. They asked him a few questions which he answered (well enough) to be signed up. We ended up getting around a 5-6pm show time so it was a bit late in the day on no nap. Throughout the day we made references to the Jedi Academy and he was very excited. About 30 minutes before it was time, he decided he wasn't going to do it. Fear, exhaustion, anxiousness or all three? Not sure. His older sister filled in and was one of 3 girls Padawans. She did great and enjoyed it very much. To this day, she reminds her brother who's much more into Star Wars that she is the only Jedi in the house.

P.S. He was too short to get on Star Tours and that ticked him off quite a bit. We tried twice at different times of the day, but even at an inch short of the height there was no leniency from the cast members.
  7. maverick

maverick Earning my ears

That's awesome! Can you share what the questions were (or at least the themes) so I can start the study sessions with my son? :lol:
  8. CouchFisher

My wife took him with her in line while I corralled the other two. If I recall they just wanted him to say his name, how old, and asked him to follow a couple instructions. Like raise your arm, etc. It seems like that is the the basic requirement. In the academy they are instructed to perform several moves as instructed. I would say most of the kids could follow the instruction but there were some kids that were intimidated by Darth Vader, managing his presence and taking instruction was a bit much for those few presumably younger kids.

You'll have to let me know how your son did once you return. May the force be with him.
  9. maverick

maverick Earning my ears

Awesome, one final question: When they asked him his age, did he say 3 or 4? :)
  10. CouchFisher

He waved his hand slowly across and said, "You believe I'm 4 years old." "You'll enter me in the Jedi Academy." "Move along."
  11. maverick

maverick Earning my ears

That. is. awesome.

Thanks for all of the info! I'll let you know how it goes
  12. Britchick

Britchick Forum Host Forum Host

I love watching the Jedi academy, it's what Disney does best I think
  13. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

OMG! :lol: What a precious child! There will be another chance. He'll go when he's ready. :yes:
  14. Beccaberry

Beccaberry She's beccalicious! Forum Host

Baahaaahaaa!! That is brilliant!
  15. Sam

Sam Imagineer

That is brilliant. :rotfl: What did they say?

We are really impressed, what a little star. :worship:
  16. CouchFisher

They chuckled and took his name.

The sad part is that he was all set to yell, "You were the chosen one!" to Darth Vader when on stage and he never made it.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2