1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

jedi trippie 68

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by Dawn, Sep 22, 2008.

1. Dawn

Dawn carpe diem-ing Forum Host

Regrets, I've had a few
    But then again, too few to mention

Regrets? Hmmm, that’s a tricky one. I’m not sure there are any. Certainly nothing major. Let’s see. Do I regret taking a young baby? Not at all. Do I regret travelling with my brother and his family? No, we get on just perfectly. I’ve been thinking about it a lot and I don’t think there’s anything we did that I’ve thought “well maybe we should have done this instead.” Sure there were moments when things weren’t perfect, I mean there was 8 of us, 3 young children, of course there will be moments. But the moments were never anything more than that.

I guess if I had a regret it is that I wasn’t brave enough to book the vacation independently instead of as a package. I know we could have saved a bit of money doing it that way but for the 8 of us the whole thing seemed so complicated so we let someone else do it for us. Next time we’ll do it ourselves though. Other than that, then no regrets. Not even too few to mention.

So here are a couple of details I’ve forgotten that came back to me over the course of writing this and talking to the other people on the trip.

On the morning of our departure while we were sitting in McDonalds eating our McRubbish-Breakfast, Lisa told us the story of her contact lens drama. That morning she was putting in her contacts at the Gatwick Hilton, but she was so excited about going to Orlando that she didn’t rinse one off properly and it started fizzing in her eye. She was making so much “Steve help me” noise that Big Steve dashed into the bathroom expecting to see at least two severed limbs lying on the floor. Instead he saw his wife hopping around clawing at her eye trying to remove the fizzy contact. See, I’m a glasses wearer myself so I am guessing that only a contacts wearer can truly appreciate this story.

Now, turning to the doll ride. As you glide towards your freedom at the end of the ride you float past a wall which has Goodbye sayings in many different languages. I noticed one phrase that struck me as unusual; it said, “What De Kharp.” No correct me if I’m wrong, but that’s not goodbye in any language. I believe that’s an Imagineer’s idea of a joke.

I should mention the weather. It was perfect for us, especially having the small children along too. It averaged I guess around the high 60s, low 70s throughout the two weeks, getting colder at night of course. Usually needed a sweatshirt or extra layer for the 7am walk to the food court but most days we were in shorts and tees, or jeans and tees for the daytime, adding another layer at night. We never wore jackets the whole time we were there, not even Steven. We kept a blanket in his buggy for chilly evenings, windy boat rides etc, but he never needed more than that. I’d consider it warm enough for swimming but we just never had the time to do it. I did plan a day at Typhoon Lagoon but we went back to the Magic Kingdom instead. We had one heavy shower one early evening in Epcot, and one shower one early morning at the resort and that was all the rain we saw.

The cheerleaders were at our resort for the second week of our stay. I’ve read all the horror stories about them and was prepared for the worst but it just never happened. Asking for a room in a quiet are was the key I think. Even though we overlooked the delivery area, who cares about the view when you only use your room for sleeping. We did see the odd group of cheerleaders practising in the central areas and they appeared in the food court more and more as the week went on but there was never enough of them to cause any delay problems. The buses I can’t comment on as we used our rental cars the entire time. The only time I ever saw any “problem” with the cheerleaders was when we returned from the parks one evening. There was a large group of them in Andy’s Room obviously celebrating some kind of success very noisily. I left our room shortly after to return to the car to fetch something and by the time I returned ( 2 or 3 minutes ) security was on the scene and dispersing them. Other than that all the cheerleaders I encountered were well behaved and politely mannered.

The next instalments of this report will be a Steven’s eye view of the trip.