1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Question jiko? worth the money

Discussion in 'Restaurants, Dining, Dining Plans' started by mgmrach, Sep 3, 2013.

1. mgmrach

mgmrach Imagineer

Ive booked jiko but now worried cos it seems really posh and expensive

has anyone been there?

2. Slowhand

Slowhand Cruise Director Forum Host

We do enjoy dinner at Jiko`s.
    However like most of the WDW restaurants nowadays, the prices are getting to be ridiculous compared with eating off site.
    Don`t worry about the "posh" issue too much as it`s not stuffy at all. Smart casual attire will be fine.

3. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

JIKO is our favorite restaurant at WDW, next to V&A. They have a great wine list and we really enjoy the food. There was one time when my DW wasn't feeling too good and she ordered a vegetarian dish called Bunny Chow. She nicknamed it Awful Falafel. Needless to say she hasn't ordered that again.

4. wishonastar

wishonastar Imagineer

argh our worst restaurant onsite :( I know people may laugh but there's an African flavour (well yeah) to everything and its *very* expensive in our opinion for what you get

5. Faythstar

Faythstar Imagineer

I wish I had some experience to share with you, but honestly I've never even been over to Animal Kingdom Lodge. I keep hearing really fantastic things about both Jiko and Boma though, from other travelers, websites, books, etc. So it can't be too bad, right?

6. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

I've been to Jiko a couple of times. We actually enjoy the apps and desserts better than the entrees. Boma is wonderful and you get to try so many different things.

I do agree with Slowhand, all the food at WDW is very expensive for what you get.

7. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

Jiko was wonderful when Annette Grecci Gray was the chef. That was several years back. It's fallen off steadily since she left. The advent of the DDP didn't help. Our last meal there was terrible. Poorly cooked, lousy atmosphere, and poor service. We won't be going back for some time, or until we have it on good authority that they've returned to some level of their former excellence.

For the money, and for the food, go to Boma instead. You'll have the wide variety, and decent service and the very good wine. It's not inexpensive either, but you won't feel as though you've been lead down the garden path.

8. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

Tink, I will agree with you that it hasn't been the same since Chef Annette left. However, except for the Bunny Chow, we've never had a bad meal there.

9. Britchick

Britchick Cast Member

we've been once, a few years ago before the riddiculous prices. It was nice but i prefer the food at Boma personally

10. Watchinherskip

Watchinherskip Better known as "That Guy"

We stayed at AKL last trip and noticed that while Boma was totally slammed (as usual) there seemed to be no waiting for Jiko...hmmmm no wonder!

11. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

I have a personality trait that I call my "fussy factor" it gets much more particular with every additional dollar I have to pay. Given the amount the dinners cost at Jiko, that meal better be perfect and perfectly served. If Annette could do it, they should be able to do it now.