1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Josh's trip to Hong Kong Day 1- Travelling and First Day

Discussion in 'Non Disney Trips and Travels' started by josh.p., Sep 22, 2009.

1. josh.p.

josh.p. Addicted to Mickey

I'm going to make this mainly photo's as I know those are the most interesting bits, and considering there are 12 UK young people, 20 HK young people, and 4 youth leaders, it could get a bit confusing for you all :rotfl:

As part of the exchange we had to wear a uniform to the airport, and then change into regular comfortable clothes for the flight from Amsterdam to Hong Kong (as we had a connecting flight from Schipol.)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The minibus left for the airport at 11:15 sharp so that we arrived nice and early for check-in, and then for a bit of duty free and a veggie burger :thumbsup:
    We kept getting funny looks because of our 'uniforms' (complete with horrible compulsory tie.)
    After a pretty un-eventful flight (which seemed shorter than a flight to florida... even though it was about 12hrs in all!), we met some of the HK delegates at the airport, it was SO great to see them again :yes:, and then checked into our hotel which was brilliant;
    [​IMG]
    Right outside our hotel window was quite an open space before some buildings:
    [​IMG]
    We then had a shower and got changed ready for our dinner. The Chinese style of dining is brilliant, instead of ordering separate meals, a number of dishes are ordered and then put onto a lazy Susan for you to pick and choose from.
    [​IMG]
    There was only 1 vegetarian dish at this particular meal which was Tofu with vegetables in sauce (or soup as they call it);
    [​IMG]
    We started to get more and more used to chopsticks, but I couldn't quite manage to eat a spring roll with one at this point, and found it easier to 'stab' the springroll with the chopstick :point:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    After dinner was some free time around HK, I found an apple store within 20 minutes of leaving the hotel.. I think I have some sort of homing chip :yes:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    We also visited 'ladies street market', aswell as 'Langham Place' which was a newly built shopping centre with an arcade on the top floor and a photosticker shop;
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    After a rather busy day/night we settled back into the hotel about 10 o'clock for a well-earned rest :yes:

2. Dizneyblonde

Dizneyblonde Secret's Birthday Fairy!

Fantastic start Josh.

This will make a great change to writing my Disney report!
    Fab photos and you all look so good in your uniforms.

Hurry up and do the next bit please!

3. Ursula

Ursula Cast Member

OMG it's an onslaught on the senses isn't it! DH and I will go there one of these days. Bring on the rest!

4. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

YAY we get to see you too! :yes:

Aren't you all snazzy in your uniforms though I must say the ladies look a bit like flight attendents.....maybe that was why you were getting so many looks? :unsure:

I cannot eat with chopsticks at all!

5. Mari

Mari Serious Forum Regular

wow!!

great first trip report!

I think you look really good in uniform :) loved the shot of the whole group together :)

6. foreverducky

foreverducky Addicted to Mickey

:lol: I also thought the women looked like flight attendants.

Great photos! This is so cool! Keep 'em coming

7. Shellyamc

Shellyamc Serious Forum Regular

Hooray part 1 :wiggle:

keep 'em coming :D

8. Disneybumble

Disneybumble The Secret is in the Sauce.

The outfits remind me of the film " Catch me if you Can" with Leonardo DiCaprio. Great start Josh. Was the hotel super hi-tech with singing toilet seats:tongue:

9. Deb

Deb Serious Forum Regular

Great pics and report Josh :thumbsup: Looking forward to the rest! I think you all look great in your uniforms, and before I read what you said about your tie I was going to say how much I liked it:yes:

10. Tinkfan

Tinkfan Earning my ears

:yes::yes: Can't wait for more.

11. josh.p.

When we left Hong Kong airport we where ushered through to the cabin crew's exit before we had to explain that we where just on an exchange LOL

12. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

Herself visited China and has told me that the Chinese touch nothing with their hands to eat! (I'd be lost LOL).

I am miserable with chopsticks too. :sigh: I actually thought I was getting pretty good with them at one point and then saw an Asian family in EPCOT dining in Japan. The father was so very graceful with his chopsticks that I was embarrassed to even pick mine up!

I LOVE the shots of the city. I would love to visit Hong Kong (and other parts of China) one day too! :yes:

The uniforms are quite snazzy (but I do agree about the tie :D ).

Looking forward to more... (LOVE the shot of the noodles, made me hungry). :D

13. josh.p.

Chopsticks is definatley something that needs practice to get good at it. If you give up you'll never get it, but don't worry about not doing it properly- the Hong Kong people are just really pleased that we made the effort. Last year's group made no effort with the food or chopsticks. Our last meal was served western style (as I think Western food is something of a special occurance for most people in China) and using a fork seemed so strange. Chopsticks are good because they keep your food whole, using a fork breaks the food up.