1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Josh's trip to Hong Kong day 3- Coastal Defence Museum, Magic Kingdom and The Peak

Discussion in 'Non Disney Trips and Travels' started by josh.p., Sep 30, 2009.

1. josh.p.

josh.p. Addicted to Mickey

We are up bright and early this morning to meet at 9 in the lobby. :yes: Tody was my turn to be leader, which was pretty worrying as it was one of the only days where the two English youth leaders where not coming with us, as they had some business to attend to with a previous year's exchange students.
    After breakfast we go back to the room to get our bags (and more importantly my camera) and then get on the coach to the Hong Kong coastal defense museum. This museum is based in the barracks of the old coastal defense and it was quite interesting to see the different machines they had, including a little hut which was left in the original condition after it had been shot down- there where bullet holes everywhere! It was like that thing on ker-plunk :yes:
    [​IMG]
    One thing we did notice a LOT about Hong Kong is the amount of times things are disinfected :unsure: I do think that perhaps it is counteractive as their children won't have a chance to develop their immune systems. Below is a pic of a sign that you see EVERYWHERE. Elevator buttons are disinfected once every hour, hand rails once every hour, doormats every 4!!!
    [​IMG]
    We then found the childrens' corner which seemed much more fun- we learnt to write our names in Cantonese and put them on the drawings wall :rotfl:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    We then met in the café for a drink of water before heading back to the coach for our lunch. We went to a small bistro restaurant, and for starters there was a small salad with a nice dressing, and then they brought out the soup which wasn't vegetarian, so they gave me another small salad.
    When it got to the point of ordering our main course- they gave me two options, a ceaser salad (without the chicken), or a baked cheese mushroom dish. I hate mushrooms so I thought I'd see what kind of contraption they brought me for lunch!

I have never laughed so much in my life when I was confronted with this:
    [​IMG]
    :rotfl: It was literally just a head of lettuce cut into different pieces with a pot of dressing next to it!!!
    I tried my hardest to eat my 3rd salad of the day but could only manage this much:
    [​IMG]
    :point::point:
    After lunch, we went to take some pictures at one of the harbours that was across the road from the bistro, when we noticed that there was about 6 people wearing purple!!!!
    [​IMG]
    We then got back on the coach to go to magic kingdom, which was, unfortunately, not the Disney world one, but a 'magic workshop' where we learnt a few magic tricks. When we get off the coach we are in a.. umm... 'less desirable area', and where met at a lift/elevator by a man who took us upto the top floor. Everyone was pretty worried at this point when he took us out onto the roof... it was a bit surreal and then we saw a little door with a 'magic kingdom' sign on it :unsure: It looked like a broom cupboard. Inside was a small office with a performance room that must not be much bigger than my bedroom. It all seemed pretty dodgy until we learnt that the 'Magic Kingdom' is a group of private magicians that group together each month to perform magic shows for schools and youth groups, they had limited funding and their offices reflected this :yes:
    We watched a magic show which was excellent and even learnt a few tricks ourselves :yes:
    [​IMG]
    The magician had a cockatiel that took part in some of the magic tricks and then flew out and sat on my shoulder for a while :rotfl:
    [​IMG]
    I eventually got her to sit on my hand for a while and was talking to her :rotfl: She flew off, landed on Shaun's head, poohed, and then flew back to me :point:
    Once we had said our goodbyes to the magicians at the magic kingdom we got aboard the tram to take us to 'the outback' which was a restaurant we ate at that evening.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Our meal was okay but the vegetarian options where not extremely nice :unsure: The Chinese style seemed to cater much better for vegetarians and after today we switched to mainly Eastern style dining for the rest of our visit.
    After a stressful time of organising people we got onto the coach and headed to catch our tram up to the peak. :yes: I was very excited about this and couldn't wait to get some good shots of the scenery :yes:
    The peak is basically a big viewing platform (situated on a mountain) where you can look out over Hong Kong city and it is stunning. There is a really modern shopping complex there now, as well as the tram which takes you up to 'The Peak.'
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After admiring the views we had a chance to do some shopping, a lot of things where overpriced so I didn't buy anything, a lot of the better shops where closed too as it was quite late at night.
    After the peak we went back to the hotel, but first stopped at the 7-11 across the road from our hotel to get some snacks, as Spider man 2 was on the T.V that night so we all gathered in one room and watched that :thumbsup:

Coming up next.... The DISNEY TRAIN, The Giant Buddah and the fishing village of Tai O.
  2. Disneybumble

Disneybumble The Secret is in the Sauce.

I love that photo of you all at the peak Josh, and that salad pic.:ROFL:
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2009
  3. Jazmine

Jazmine Dancing Queen!

wow looks amazing josh, id love to visit there one day not sure about the lettuce leaves though :thumbsdown:
    Jacqui xxxx
  4. josh.p.

josh.p. Addicted to Mickey

It really is an amazing place that I think a lot of people should visit! I really would only stay in the Kowloon region, that bit is 'proper' hong kong really- the big city part of it that has loads of little markets and food stalls in the streets :yes: I'd give anything to be back there now!
  5. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

Sounds like you are in love, Josh. :yes: That's a good thing. You'll be sure to go back one day then. :hug2:

I love the city at night photos. I always do. All of them are quite nice though.

Thank you for another nice report!