1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

June in Berlin Part 1

Discussion in 'Non Disney Trips and Travels' started by Mags, Jun 23, 2009.

1. Mags

Mags Serious Forum Regular

Well, we have been back from Berlin for a week and have just got around to uploading all my photos. We had a fantastic time and we were so glad to get back to this fascinating city which has such an interesting but terrible past. Im not going to do a proper trippie, but will post a series of photos to give you some idea of just how interesting the city is.
    We stayed in the Mercure Checkpoint Charlie (No 1 in TA). We only paid £355 for our two nights (3 days). This included a full German buffet breakfast and tickets for the Blueman Group.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We thought that we would start off our day with a quick walk up to Checkpoint Charlie

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and then it was on to have some delicious German coffee and cheesecake before taking the underground to the famous Berlin Zoo.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Getting around on the underground is so easy and in about 15 minutes we were at the zoo. It is so impressive - big and spacious. The thing that impressed me was just how much space the animals had to roam around

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. Mags

3. Mags

Now this is the only animal that I felt uneasy about. The brown bear looked so haggard and was pacing non stop

[​IMG]

We had to stop off for something to eat and of course try the famous Berlin Currywurst. It is a foot long frankfurter with a sauce that is a mix of ketchup and curry. It was very tasty (left Michael to eat 90% of it) but gee does it sink to the bottom of your stomach.

[​IMG]

We had a fantastic day out and headed back about 5pm. The underground is never crowded, not even at going home time, which makes it a pleasure to travel anywhere in the city. Before we headed back, we stopped at a wonderful cake shop and bought two pieces of kuchen (cost 1.50 Euros). Where in London could you get wonderful cake for that price? I told you - they just dont know how to charge.

[​IMG]

After a quick clean up at the hotel we headed off to Tony Romas, which is in a very popular part of the city called Potsdamer Platz. This like most parts of Berlin was once divided by the wall. Everywhere there are reminders of it.
    This is a spot on the pavement marked with a plaque showing where it once was

[​IMG]

and this is Potsdamer Platz

[​IMG]

Of course there was the food

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and Michael practicing with his new NikonD40

[​IMG]

It was all you could eat night but even Michael was defeated. The food was excellent. In fact it was much nicer than our meal in Orlando last year.
    We were totally stuffed, so we walked back to the underground past all the cafes where lots of families were sitting outside in the evening sunshine . It was a fantastic first day and we were cream crackered. Sorry it isnt a proper trippie. I'll post some photos of day 2 tomorrow.

Margaret
  4. foreverducky

foreverducky Addicted to Mickey

Yes! Photos!!!! Very cool! Sounds like a nice place to visit. And sheesh, that's a lot of food. :D
  5. Ursula

Ursula Cast Member

Ooh didn't know they had a Tony Romas over there. Love the pics of where the wall once was and Checkpoint Charlie... very poignant. I think us Brits should do that German thing of two single duvets on the bed.
  6. Mags

It is a lot but my son has eyes far bigger than his stomach! :yes: He ate the cheesecake and the kuchen lasted for two days. As for the ribs, the smaller portion was mine and I only ate half of that!

Oh yes, There is a Tony Romas right in the heart of the city (beside the Blue Man theatre, which we also went to). Checkpoint Charlie is a very interesting spot - great museum too.
    Two duvets is the way to go Helen. The beds were so so comfy and I didnt have to kick my son to get the duvet back. Mind you, I found him sitting up on the bed at 4am sitting athe bottom of the bed talking and snoring at the same time. Who said men couldnt multi- task?

Margaret