1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Just heard...

Discussion in 'Transportation & Travel' started by Tink, Sep 27, 2010.

1. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

Southwest has bought Airtran!

2. foreverducky

foreverducky Addicted to Mickey

This should be interesting. I really dislike the seating arrangements that Southwest does. I don't like standing in line like cattle.

3. Tink

I'm not a fan of either airline, although have flown both and managed to deal with the inconveniences.

This is going to sound really bad, but when I was flying much for work, using all the carriers, those who flew Airtran seemed to be the most difficult group of passengers. :sorry: I really felt bad for the crew!

4. DisneyFreak

DisneyFreak Serious Forum Regular

Have never flown Southwest but have flown Airtran twice with both instances having a 3-4 hour delay. Once causing us to miss our connecting flight in Atlanta and having to sleep on the airports marble floors for the evening.

We were flying from Minneapolis to Tampa and then we were going to drive down the gulf coast to Naples the next morning. This is when we were first starting to think about moving here so we wanted to see the areas and I wanted to visit my offices to see which one I liked the most to transfer to. Since we had to spend the night at the airport we didn't want to drive from Tampa to Naples on top of that so I do have to give Airtran props for getting us on a flight from Atlanta directly into Southwest International Airport in Ft Myers and put us in 1st class.

I have heard nothing but great things about Southwest Airlines and look forward to this merger.

5. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

hmmm I wonder if this is a good thing or a bad thing. I absoluely LOVE AirTran...always have good service and flights. I have been late everytime I've flown with Southwest.

6. foreverducky

foreverducky Addicted to Mickey

I have actually had positive experiences with AirTran. Decent prices too.

7. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

I've flown with both and feel that Air Tran's service is a bit better. Wonder if SWA will keep the First Class seats?

8. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

Soooo I just read the email that Southwest sent me.

Once they get gov't approval and merge, they plan to do this:

no baggage fees (YES!)
    no assigned seating (UGH....there is a reason I don't like to fly SW)
    no business class :)thumbsdown:)
    no change fees (Nice!)

and the thing that really concerns me......I hear FAR too much about Southwest making heavy people buy 2 seats...at the ticker counter. They aren't even in the seat yet. I can fit in my own seat just fine. However, I don't want some ticket agent telling me I'm fat and need to purchase another ticket. We are flying Southwest next week. I am worried they are going to say something. I saw a show the other night where they did that to a lady and I didn't think she was that big :sorry:

9. Tink

See? I've had less problems with Southwest, but do agree the seating is a bit tense (waiting to see where you'll be). You can pay an additional fee to get automatic check in.

Johnie, I've heard that too unfortunately. I've seen them go down the aisles and put down the arms of the seats to be sure the person fit between both. Not a pleasant thing, to be sure.

One time I offered to raise the arm for the woman who was next to me (making her in the middle) as it was clearly digging into her leg and she wouldn't let me. I felt really bad for her. :sorry:

But it was on Airtran that I received the most offensive insult in my entire life. It was from a passenger though, and not crew by any means. Part of what forms my opinion of airtran passengers. :lol:

10. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

Johnie, you know how big I am and I have never had a problem on SWA. It sucks that they are going to do away with the Business Class though.