1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Just supposing I was able to save

Discussion in 'Walt Disney World' started by mumof2, Sep 10, 2013.

1. mumof2

mumof2 Serious Forum Regular

.....enough for August or Christmas 2014, which at present seems highly unlikely but you never know, can you tell me how staying onsite works please?

I'm thinking food, transport to and from airport if we didn't rent a car, how accessible are buses from resorts to parks, offsite transport for shopping and anything else you can think of?

In the past we always had car rental and stayed offsite, either in motels (pre child days) or we rented a villa when we took them. We had the freedom of darting off here and there for food, shopping, etc. Old Town was always a must, and we drove out to beaches etc. which is naturally not so easy with no car!

Thank you xx

2. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

Staying on site is IMHO the best way to enjoy WDW. You can get DME to/from the airport and of course you get the use of the Disney Buses. We've stayed on property for all except our very first trip, but we always, except once, have a car with us. We like to eat at the different resorts and since there isn't a resort-resort bus system we find that quite inconvenient. As far as resort-park-resort the system works great but can be crowded during peak seasons.

3. mumof2

Thank you uscwest. So the only problems appear to be resort to resort and off resort activities, is there public transport nearby?

4. Dawn

Dawn carpe diem-ing Forum Host

There is public transport but it is spotty and takes forever. Or there are taxis but obviously the cost adds up. If you are onsite without a car you are pretty much tied to it. Even when we stayed onsite we rented a car so we could get out and eat in different places at much much cheaper prices.

mumof2 likes this.
  5. mumof2

Mmm, I thought that would be the case. I'm a scaredy about driving over there, and Jamie would be 20 so too young for car rental I believe....I might have to man up and do it! :lipwobble:

6. lisaw

lisaw Serious Forum Regular

Mairead driving over there is so much easier than here, I can do it with no problems (even the monster truck and I certainly wouldn't drive that here! Lol) and you would have someone to help navigate. Staying on site is great but you are tied to Disney for food and that is getting so expensive! We stay on site but always have a car so we can eat some nights offsite at cheaper options (but just as good).

mumof2 likes this.
  7. Dorothy

Dorothy Smiley Herder

If you are thinking August next year, don't forget that there is a good chance that free dinning will be offered again which saves you a LOT of money.

I

8. mumof2

Yes that was one of my reasons for thinking about onsite

I just hate driving when I don't know where I'm going, I've never even driven on a motorway alone!

9. orbsuk

orbsuk Imagineer

im going next aug & staying off site on int-drive not driving as like your self i would crap myself lol .we found the last 3 times we've been getting around isnt to bad the i-trolly is it called that :confused: gos up & down int-drive so the two water parks + sea world & universal are all on route & most hotels do free shuttles to disney. when we booked up with ocean florida we made sure there was a free shuttle .only thing we found they come back early on the night before fire works end so a taxi back may be a downside :(

10. mumof2

Oh yes the I-trolley, I've seen it but not used it. I remember seeing some offsite hotels do a free shuttle, I'd forgotten that 'til you mentioned it. It's so long since I went I don't know where to start now....oh, and I don't want to get too excited because at the moment it's all just a dream.

11. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

Staying onsite is really nice, as long as all you want to do is Disney. If you want to do anything off property, then you truly do need a car. There are public buses, but to use them efficiently, you need to have a schedule and a route map. Taxis are always available,but you have to be truly on your toes. They'll rip you off at the drop of a hat.

To rent a car you have to be 25 years old. There used to be an exception to that but it was hideously expensive. I don't think they do it anymore.

So! Hope that helps a bit!

mumof2 likes this.
  12. Dizneyblonde

Dizneyblonde Secret's Birthday Fairy!

We have never rented a car and managed when we stayed on and offsite.
    We used to stay on Idrive and use hotel shuttles and the Idrive trolley.
    Then we switched to onsite and split our stay between RPR and Disney so we did the offsite stuff during our RPR stay.
    This year we just did Disney but went offsite shopping for the day and used Lynx and Iride.
    It did take a long time but we had allowed or that.

mumof2 likes this.
  13. mumof2

Thanks for the input everyone, you're all very helpful (as I knew you would be!).

My next question us:

I've always, always booked my holidays the DIY way and am a bit scared of going down the alternative route though it would be nice not to have to do all the research! I know I can contact our lovely agents who use this forum (don't know if I can advertise your names?) but how do those of you who choose other agents decide who to use?

I have contacted one for a quote for next Christmas, it feels odd to me as I've never done it that way before!

14. piglet

piglet Serious Forum Regular

This is only me I'm speaking for and I absolutely lovely doing everything myself. I get excited doing all the research and check thoroughly for 180 days to book ADR's that I really want to go to. When I get all the receipts and everything it just seems to make it even better. This year I'm booking everything for 6 of us and yes it is taking a bit of planning with planes from Scotland, booking hotel at Gatwick, booking flights (already done) and booking hotel (already done). Only a couple more weeks and I can start my ADR's and I do get my DD to double check that I have done everything right 'cos I'm a bit scared of booking tickets and getting the names wrong but it's still great fun. We don't have a car while we're there 'cos we spend 90% of our time at WDW but if we do want to go to Universal (which I'm not too keen on), we just get a cab. Haven't tried a bus to Universal yet but might look it up and see if we can do it instead of paying through the nose for a cab.

mumof2 likes this.
  15. mumof2

See, I am just so tired of being the "organiser" for everything, day to day life, work....years and years off it have just got me thinking that I would love to have someone else do it for me, though I'd most likely take over and do it myself!

16. Dorothy

Dorothy Smiley Herder

I used to DIY, but now I always let our Johnie do it! She really knows her stuff and always ends up saving us money :)

(I really wish my iPad would let me use more of my smileys)

mumof2 likes this.
  17. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

Thank you! I love to help plan

mumof2 likes this.