1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

keeping kids happy on the plane

Discussion in 'Transportation & Travel' started by disnut, Apr 27, 2009.

1. disnut

disnut Imagineer

Other than a load of expensive games :( what would you do for 5 & 7 year olds to keep them happy for 8 hours. Can you tell we're worried? :lol:

2. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

Do they like to read? If so, new books. New things seem to be the trick. Keeps their attention. :yes: (I personally hate those electronic games, long story I'll share some time, but I really applaud you for not defaulting to those horrid things).

Sticker books for the younger one? Do they even make colorforms any more? Those were thin plastic like shapes that could be stuck and removed repeatedly. They came in sets, animals, people, cars, etc. You could use them for any number of things. :yes:

Small tape players or inexpensive cd players with books on tape/cd, children's music? :unsure:

When we fly with Seth we just be sure to have new things with us (crayons, color books, some clay/play doh, that sort of stuff). And snacks. :D

3. Dawn

Dawn carpe diem-ing Forum Host

colouring, reading, starting a holiday journal, watching the kids movie on the in-flight entertainment. That kept my 6 year old niece pretty much occupied on our flight.

If all else fails - duct tape. :evil:

4. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

From experience of having kids sat behind me on the last few flights, I'm assuming the airport shops now sell bullseye targets for easy affixing to the seats in front with bonuses for kicking the centre. Although I suppose that could just be me being cynical :taunt:

5. Britchick

Britchick Cast Member

i'll never forget Caitlin at 2 1/2 announcing half way across the atlantic that she wanted to get off now - flipping nightmare and the screens were broken too so no inflight :thud: sorry that wasn't very helpful was it :unsure: can i suggest a gin and tonic followed by a glass of wine followed by a shot of whisky, trust me you won't care. :tongue:

or tell them that to sit still or Mickey mouse might not let them in Disney world? :evil:

6. Dawn

Dawn carpe diem-ing Forum Host

In defence of small children............... :wink:

Those seats are designed in such a way that kids knees don't fold over the edge of the seat like ours but tend to make their legs stick straight out into the seat in front.

Having said that. Continually kicking the seat back is no-no and will result in the aforementioned duct tape. :D

7. lisaw

lisaw Serious Forum Regular

And you wonder my Caitlin is terrified of you :laugh:

8. Britchick

Britchick Cast Member

yeah but she was also scared of Charlie :lol: she's not still scared of me is she :unsure:

9. lisaw

lisaw Serious Forum Regular

Well she cheered when I told her we would be seeing you this year :unsure::lol:

Back to the original question :lol: When mine were younger I took lots of little party bag type presents, stickers, colouring etc and when they started getting restless would whip something new out of the bag - that worked quite well :yes:

10. Mari

Mari Serious Forum Regular

hahahahahahahahahaha

wow!! thatmust have been scary for MOM!... what did you do?

I agree... 100%

11. Kate

Kate Serious Forum Regular

Isabelle was 2 when we went in November, i got her a little back pack which i filled with new things for her - and to make it even more exciting for her i wrapped each thing up individually, so every hour or so she would get a present! It went down very well! :yes:

I had new colouring books, crayons, little pony thingys with combs, stickers, reading books, fifi doll thing - and lots and lots of food!

12. punkster223

punkster223 Earning my ears

Granted our first trip and this one were only a couple hours flights. But I packed each a carry on and they were 6 and 4 at the time. Each carryon had snacks and individual things for them to do. Instead of the old stand by of coloring books I got the Crayola finger paints that are clear and only show up on the paper. The flight crew went nuts over these. Infact the kids were so well behaved just finger painting the stewardess' complimented them on their behavior. There are cheap hand held games that are not electronic and maybe a portable dvd player to watch a movie. 8 hours is a long time being a teacher id suggest lots of small things they can switch back and forth from.

13. Taja

Taja Earning my ears

Yep, definitely a number of small, new things to get and keep their attention. Plan as if the in-flight movie is out of order--just in case!

Something familiar: a favourite small stuffed animal, action figure or doll for each? Lexie (age 9 during our 2007 visit) took a very small stuffed animal (about 6 inches tall), two books, paper and coloured pencils. She prefers drawing to colouring, although she enjoyed both at that time. I brought her a Disney word-search puzzle book, coloured pens, a journal and some other stuff. She carried a small backpack on the plane (6 hours in the air with a connecting flight). Mom had to care for 14-week old baby brother, so she had to take care of her own stuff! :)

14. Tink in Pink

Tink in Pink Earning my ears

We did the same as Kate and got 9 presents and wrapped them up, 1 for each hour. We didnt open them all on the way as we watched a film, had a sleep and played games on the seat back tvs, which was good as left some stuff for on the returning flight