1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Kennedy space centre worth visiting?

Discussion in 'Shopping & Other Activities' started by MonorailMick, May 1, 2010.

1. MonorailMick

MonorailMick Earning my ears

Is the Kennedy Space Centre worth a visit and are there any trips or tours to get to it without a car?? It looks like it's a long way from Disney

I just dont know if there will be a full days worth of things to see there

2. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

There are if you are into space exploration and that sort of thing. If you are interested, I'd go while you have the chance. The continuation of the whole place is up in the air with the cessation of the shuttle program.

I honestly don't know about tours over, but someone else is sure to.

I think Skywatcher ended up renting a limo/sedan with a driver? :unsure:

3. Deafjeff

Deafjeff Serious Forum Regular

Hi,

I went there with my DH (well before we got married!) we stayed at Disney pop resort and we booked a coach from the resort to KSC and spent all day there.

It was worth a visit but wont go there again as it kind of thing where once is enough for me...

They have tour and they have coach so no need for a car.

4. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

I really love it. We did hire a limo+driver once but it cost an arm and a leg :( the next time we used www.gatortours.com

I didnt know there was a coach thing though Jeff!

5. Isafari

Isafari Wild Animal Expert

THIS may give you an idea of KSC and what there is to do there :thumbsup:

6. ukwdwnut

ukwdwnut Director of Recruitment Forum Host

as keith said if your into space. you have to go :yes:

7. Deafjeff

I didnt know there was a coach thing though Jeff![/QUOTE]

I cannot remember how we did the coach thingy but they had a mini tour video to prepare us before we got off the coach etc.

Really enjoyed myself that day......

8. keith

I cannot remember how we did the coach thingy but they had a mini tour video to prepare us before we got off the coach etc.

Really enjoyed myself that day......[/QUOTE]

That sounds really great! Can you remember who you booked the coach thing through?

9. Deafjeff

That sounds really great! Can you remember who you booked the coach thing through?[/QUOTE]

Eeerrrrrrmm we booked it in the UK and when we got there, we just 'joined' a coach and that all I can remember :-S it was four years ago....

10. keith

Eeerrrrrrmm we booked it in the UK and when we got there, we just 'joined' a coach and that all I can remember :-S it was four years ago....[/QUOTE]

sure :lol: sounds better than what we did really. I'll have to look around

11. Esmeralda

Esmeralda Serious Forum Regular

Hell yes.

12. Kate

Kate Serious Forum Regular

Who are you flying with? Virgin do trips there, you can book it online or go to the welcome meeting and book it.
    Some of my family did it when we all went in 2008, they all really enjoyed it but said they wouldnt do it again

13. Tony G

Tony G Serious Forum Regular

Granted, I'm a bit of a space nut but KSC has been the best day in my last three trips to Orlando.

My sister and nephews agreed with me, which I really didn't expect - they're the least technical people I know but it serves to attest that you don't need to be a techie to enjoy KSC. Leaving the confines of the Earth is an amazing feat and the amazement soon infects all that visit.

14. FantasiaLady

FantasiaLady Earning my ears

thanks Tony this answers a question I was giong to ask about people who arent scientific going to KSC.

Is there enough there to last a whole day?

15. chief

chief Earning my ears

i wasnt really looking forward to the planned kennedy trip, its not really my cup of tea, in fact i only did it for the boys [dh as well]
    wow i had no idea how fab it would be, it was just so exiting i cant explain it it was a brilliant day out. we got on one of the coaches and did the tour around, we saw the shuttle that was going to take off on the 6th april. how brilliant. i say its definatly worth a visit, it only needs to be 1 day of your holiday and its one of the cheeper places to visit. im so glad we went.

16. Tony G

Tony G Serious Forum Regular

Most certainly. I'd recommend a tour to start the day - that's a real treat as the tour guides are very adept at commenting on the nature and human aspects as well as the techie bits. I've tried both the 'NASA Then & Now' tour and the 'NASA Up Close' tours. I enjoyed the 'Up Close' tour, but the 'Then and Now' bored me at the start as it involved looking at dozens of missiles. It's redeeming feature is that you see the launch pad where the tragic Apollo 1 fire occurred.

I'd say it's probably best to begin with the standard tour (included with the price of admission). It takes a few hours, by which time you are returned to the main visitors centre (having seen the excellent Apollo centre on tour).

At the main centre, there are two IMAX movies to catch, the Rocket Garden, which is a display of loads of different model rockets, a walk-on shuttle exhibit, a memorial to lost astronauts, a tribute to early spaceflight and, of course, the unmissable Shuttle Launch Experience. I should mention that the Space Store is somewhere you can lose hours in!

If you manage to zoom through everything and get finished before 6pm, on the way back, visit the Astronaut Hall of Fame, which is on a separate site close by. It's a fascinating museum of actual items from space exploration and has some really cool exhibits (read: rides) for the more adventurous visitor.

Finally, don't forget to allow for travelling time and try to get there at around 09:40, to allow you to get tickets and clear security before the tour busses begin at 10am (may change seasonally). When driving there, the road takes you over the most beautiful bridge. On my first visit, I nearly drove off the road, it was so distracting! :embarassed: