1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Kennedy Space Centre

Discussion in 'Other Florida Parks and Attractions' started by Isafari, Jul 9, 2008.

1. Isafari

Isafari Wild Animal Expert

We've been to Kennedy 3 or 4 times in the past and I actually like it more and more each visit. I think what did it for me was actually watching a shuttle launch...it got me intersted in the whole space travel thing.

The park never seems full and quite often it is as if you have the whole place to yourself. In fact....here is the only time I have seen the ocean around Florida! You get to see some of the local wildlife too running around where it should be with no barriers or glass panels.
    I remember our first journey by car from the Orlando area. We were only about 15 minutes from KSC when we started to see some amazing birds and the cutest armadillo on the planet. A couple of minutes later, some wild pigs came running over the road....I was thrilled :lol:

Have you tried the new ride there? DH and a friend went on it last year but weren't too impressed!

We did the photo opportunity that makes you look like you are in a shuttle in space. You lie on a box and pose as though you were floating in the air. This is all against a blue background. Once the photo is developed, the blue has gone and is replaced with a shuttle interior.

What are your opinions of KSC?
    Do you think it needs more to attract younger children?

2. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

I'm embarrassed to say I've never been there. :eek: It's one of those places that I think would be nice to visit, but never use the free time we have to go there.

I'll live vicariously through your experiences, Isafari! :yes:

3. lisaw

lisaw Serious Forum Regular

We went on our first two visits but haven't been since with the kids, we are planning to go next year as I think they will enjoy it more now that they are older and I think it's important that they go, also we are there for longer so have more time to fit it in. It will be interesting to see how much has changed since 1996.

4. ieuanr

ieuanr Imagineer

We went in January this year and we all thoroughly enjoyed it. Our girls 5 & 8 at the time really enjoyed. Diane and Lucy rode the launch simulation and said that it was good fun. The displays and exhibits are really interesting - the rocket park is a nice place to relax and they have installed some fountains for the kids to play in. The kids were really impressed with meeting an astronaut. I would say that it should not be missed.

5. ukwdwnut

ukwdwnut Director of Recruitment Forum Host

ive been wanting to go every visit as im into space ive been interested since i think the apollo 8 launch when i was a kid. and its always the first to get dropped if we need a day, hope one day i will get there

6. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

we'll have to get a meet there sometime when the ladies are shopping!

I really like KSC! They added a load more things to it a few years back and it really is an all day thing now. Just as well given it takes awhile to get there.

There's the incredible all-around cinema, lots of exhibits of course. There's an astronaut question and answer session which is free and rarely packed so you really can get to chat and ask any silly questions you have :)

Then there's a whole other part that you get a bus to which has space vehicles and all sorts of great stuff.

Interestingly it's sometimes better to go there on a non-shuttle/launch day because on launch day they block off some of the tours and exhibits.

Great place to go

7. ukwdwnut

ukwdwnut Director of Recruitment Forum Host

wow thanks for the info keith, ive been told before it was just a half day thing so we was going to go to cocoa beach whilst in that area..ok that will be in the next trip not this now, with out the kids...would be good to meet up there if e get to go the same time :)

8. mainecoon lover

mainecoon lover Addicted to Mickey

Went for the first time in December. It never appealed to me in the past but i loved every moment of it. I am looking forward to getting back there.
    We were lucky enough to see a rocket launch.