1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Key's to the Kingdom tour - A brief explanation

Discussion in 'Walt Disney World' started by Oreo, May 22, 2013.

1. Oreo

Oreo Addicted to Mickey

When we booked the keys to the kingdom tour we spent hours researching reviews as we were worried that it would ‘spoil’ the magic.</SPAN>
    </SPAN>
    So I thought I’d write a little piece about 'what happens' so that if anyone else has the same concerns hopefully this will help.

I won’t spoil what is said etc. I will just give a bit of outline information about the tour.
    </SPAN></SPAN>
    We arrived at Magic Kingdom at the allotted time; we had booked our tour for the first one of the day. We had done this because we had plans for the afternoon and I well… wanted a picture of me on Main Street on my own before rope drop. Sadly there was a street cleaner in the background so I am yet to achieve that goal lol.
    </SPAN></SPAN>
    Upon check in we were given a small bag which contains an ear piece and a radio receiver. The park does get loud later on and this piece of equipment is essential for you to hear everything your guide has to say. </SPAN></SPAN>
    Once you are greeted by your guide and all the equipment is checked you can begin your tour. </SPAN>
    </SPAN>
    You are encouraged to ask questions but you are asked that any ‘back stage’ related questions are asked ‘back stage’ so that it doesn’t ruin the magic for any of the other guests. </SPAN>
    </SPAN>
    We found that there were various tour routes around the park and this is done so that no more than one group is in the same place.
    </SPAN></SPAN>
    We were first taken to Main Street where we were told about Main Street, Walt Disney and the windows etc.
    </SPAN></SPAN>
    We moved onto various locations around the park, we called at Jungle Cruise (including a ride with alternative spiel), Splash mountain and the back stage areas surrounding it and also the Haunted Mansion.

We were provided with lunch which you are asked to choose upon check in. At lunch you are give a 'gift' as a thank you for attending the tour.</SPAN></SPAN>

Now, there are many myths and stories surrounding the ‘underground city’ in Magic Kingdom. If you go in with that frame of mind you will be very disappointed.

There are corridors or utilidors as they like to call them, which you do get to go into. There are some really cool bits of memorabilia down there and to be honest I was geeking out at the fact that I was under the magic kingdom!</SPAN>
    </SPAN>
    You won’t see any Characters down there as they do not take you down near the Character break room so please don’t think you will see Mickey Mouse without his make up on! lol</SPAN></SPAN>

Hopefully I have given some insight onto what goes on as part of the tour without spoiling it for you. </SPAN></SPAN>

If you have any questions please feel free to ask

2. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

great review!

We really love this tour and think it's the best value of any of the tours. It was quite fast paced though, a few older members of our tour group complained about that.

It was great to go in to haunted mansion via the back doors

I agree about under the MK, that was the highlight in a way even though it was just a small tantilising peek.

I was hoping to see the parade control room as some people said they saw but alas nope.

3. Oreo

Oreo Addicted to Mickey

We saw the parade floats in storage.

And dispite the numerous rumours flying around, the Spectromagic floats are still in there.

Sadly, we didn't get to go into the Haunted Mansion as it had just shut for a breakdown, but we were taken around the new queue area for a look while it was empty.

I assume from your comments you have done other tours? Which one would you recommend to do next?

4. keith

I have yes! I've done the Christmas tour and the backstage magic (several times).

Backstage magic is really great. It's like a much more in depth keys to the kingdom, goes round several parks and resorts in a coach. Concentrates on how certain rides work and the details like costuming and so on.

I REALLY REALLY like backstage magic. It's expensive but it's all day and includes a coach etc.

The Christmas tour was nearly as good and with a christmas twist, so it showed all the christmas decorations, explained the preperations and so on.

I can definitely recommend both of those

5. Oreo

Oreo Addicted to Mickey

Thank you!

I have read about the Backstage Magic and we were tempted by this, and thought we would do the Key to the Kingom first to see if we liked it.

I didn't know there was a Christmas tour. This sounds interesting as we are thinking of going last week of November or first week in December so I assume the tour would be in full swing by then?

How similar are the Christmas tour and the Backstage Magic tour? Would it be too much to do it in one visit do you think?

6. keith

The yultide fantasy tour DOES cover some of the same bits as backstage magic. We saw some of the same warehouses full of christmas decorations etc but the christmas tour concentrated more on walking round epcot and hearing about the christmas traditions of each country.

I'm a christmas nut so I did really enjoy it, but I think backstage magic is perhaps the better tour for general "ooooo and ahhhhh" style :)

I'd happily do both in one trip but I very much love the tours :yes: the more backstage I can get the better

7. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

Thank you for explaining, it sounds really good, I'm very tempted :D

8. robertcraig

robertcraig Serious Forum Regular

Airdrie, North Lanarkshire, United Kingdom
    thanks for the info sounds very worthwhile

9. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

The Backstage Safari and Wild By Design Tours are fabulous. Also, if you are into Steam Trains the train tour gets you into MK before the park opens and might afford you that opportunity you want to have your picture taken on Main Street USA.

10. Slowhand

Slowhand Cruise Director Forum Host

We were quite fortunate when we did the Keys to the Kingdom Tour a few years ago because at the time they were celebrating Walt....I think it was one of his milestone birthdays but I`m not sure about that. :unsure:
    Anyhow, during the tour we were taken to the building where they store the floats before the parade and the guide pointed out a "hidden Walt" which was applied to every float. You would never have noticed it unless you knew where to look but it gave us something new to look out for during the parade later that day. :yes:

11. Vikki

Vikki Serious Forum Regular

We did KTTK several years ago and absolutely loved it!
    DH did the steam train tour and got loads of photos on Main Street with nobody in them - so you might want to give that one a go.

12. Suebeattie

Suebeattie Addicted to Mickey

Would love to do the backstage tours but wont be able to this time around. Little man is way too little :(.
    We did the steam tour a few years back and I loved that. We also did the epcot segway tour which I really loved but I think that has finished now :eek:
    Thanks for your report

:wiggle: