1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Kindle

Discussion in 'Gadgets and Gizmos' started by Deafjeff, Apr 21, 2012.

1. Deafjeff

Deafjeff Serious Forum Regular

Hi all,

I have iPad and I am wondering if it worth getting kindle just for reading book.

Granted kindle is lighter and easier to 'carry' around.

Sometime I do not feel 'safe' reading books on iPad especially when I am on my own.

Anyone here own both? or is there any better e-reader out there?

---
    I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?mn3pe2

2. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

I have both and always read on the ipad BUT it does interrupt me with email, draw something requests and so on. REALLY I should use the kindle.

A lot friends have both and would only use the kindle for reading. They say its easier on the eyes, lighter and so on.

3. Deafjeff

Mmmmhhh touch or keyboard which would you recommend?

I'm hoping to buy it from John Lewis do you know what model do that have as their website is not that helpful!

---
    I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?jxak3m

4. keith

touch.... it's way more intuitive and I've never used the keyboard on my kindle

5. Deafjeff

6. foreverducky

foreverducky Addicted to Mickey

I have the kindle with the keyboard. Never tried the touch.

When it comes to reading, I think the kindle is the way to go. I like the look of the paperback presentation. I don't like reading on regular screens. But hey, that's me.

7. Deafjeff

Thanks I'm thinking of going for keyboard as I'm left handed and it easy for me to turn page using left side as touch I would need to use right hand etc pah!

---
    I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?1sjcoj

8. Deafjeff

9. Lisa1976

Lisa1976 Addicted to Mickey

I've just upgraded from a kindle with the keyboard to the touch, I LOVE IT:)

I have both and the reason I bought a kindle for reading is that it's smaller and a lot easier to carry around. I read a lot so it was running the battery down very quickly on my iPad/iPhone.

10. keith

My mother says the same thing that's why she has the kindle as well as the ipad. Funnily enough since I tend to use the kindle late at night, I ALWAYS have the kindle led light on and its battery lasts hardly any time at all

11. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

I just couldn't imagine not turning the pages :unsure: :sigh: and whenever I've looked to see if it would be cheaper, I've alwaays found it's cheaper to buy the actual book rather than the kindle version :shrug:

12. keith

I'm with you on the turning pages, it's very weird at first and unsatisying though that feeling does go.

However in terms of price, certainly on amazon, kindle books tend to be much better value than print. Not *100%* of the time no, but very often you see the kindle version for 2.79 and the print for 4.99. Then of course there are thousands of free kindle books which introduce you to a series or whatever and there are some *excellent* free ones out there.

13. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

Donna feels the same way about turning pages Wendy. However, she has found lots of free books and loves her Kindle Fire.

14. keith

What I've noticed is that originally the free books were just old copyright free ones.

Now though, a lot of authors are putting their first book of a new series out for free so that people read them with no risk and then if they like them, they'll buy the rest of the series.

That's working out really well for me and I've discovered a load of new authors who I wouldnt have known about otherwise.

15. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

In theory I like the idea of electronic books as they are much more ecologically friendly. However, I do wonder about the economic impact of that, too.

I love books. I love the shelves full of books. I love returning to a book where I've tabbed it and refreshing my memory (obviously for reference type books). I love the smell of books...the feel of them. Not so sure about the alternatives.

I've read a few ebooks on my old iPhone, and it was handy when I was traveling so much. Now, I don't have to travel that much so I like the book in hand.

Not saying I wouldn't like a Kindle type gadget, but not sure how much I'd really like it.

Can you share Kindle books? I mean, right now when I finish with a fiction book I usually pass it on to someone, or loan it to someone. How do you do that with an ebook? :unsure:

16. catrancher

catrancher Assistant Cruise Director Forum Host

That's interesting Keith. I guess the new digital books are requiring authors to adopt a slightly different business model in order to remain competitive. Lord knows the publishers don't seem to be doing it. I've also seen a number of authors who have gone to a self-publishing model. I guess between the US Justice Department suit against Apple and the publishers versus the Amazon model, maybe something interesting will shake out. Perhaps if enough authors decide to go the self-publishing route, the old school paper publishers will start to wake up.

Tom :)macwave:... drag them kicking and screaming into the 21st century!)

17. catrancher

catrancher Assistant Cruise Director Forum Host

One of the big questions Tink. Kindle books can be loaned to someone else for a period of 14 days if the publisher allows it. That's the big "if". Apple eBooks on the other hand have no such capability. Unless they happen to be the free ones like many of the classics. In that case, anyone can get their own copy. No need to loan it.

This has been one of the big drawbacks to electronic books for me also.
    If I've got a book, why can't I give it to my wife or a friend when I'm done reading it? :unsure:

Tom :)macwave:... not sure about this agency pricing model.)

18. foreverducky

foreverducky Addicted to Mickey

I have found few on amazon that I can lend. I would even be okay with the ability to loan it out once or maybe twice max. Just something.

I know I've mentioned my kindle more than once, but I truly love my kindle. I love the immediate satisfaction of getting a book and the portability. Plus, while I love the smell of books, I've really been trying to de-clutter my stuff. That being said, I like real reference books. Unless, it's a novel, I don't want it on the kindle. For example, table books, cookbooks and textbooks are not helpful on the kindle.

19. montymouse

montymouse Imagineer

I agree, I have ipad and kindle.....love reading on the Kindle.
    I find keyboard on the kindle good and easy to use.