1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Kissimmee hotel still smoldering after massive fire leaves at least 150 residents without a home

Discussion in 'General News & Rumors' started by mgmjim, Jun 28, 2011.

1. mgmjim

mgmjim Earning my ears

scary :(

chopper-fire-kissimmee-3-0627.jpg
    Fire investigators have returned to a still-smoldering motel on US-192 that was destroyed by a fire on Tuesday to try and figure out what happened.

The massive fire started around 10:45 p.m. Sunday at the Vacation Lodge at 7514 West Irlo Bronson Highway, near Disney's Animal Kingdom.

Firefighters said they put out small flare-ups overnight, however, they said it's under control.

According to Osceola County Fire Department, six people from the motel were transported to Celebration Hospital suffering from smoke inhalation. Two firefighters, who suffered minor injuries while battling the flames, were also taken to the hospital.

Officials said they think it's suspicious, but they said they have no idea what caused this fire.

The six-alarm fire started in a room, spread to the attic and then throughout the wooden structure. It burned most of Monday. The motel is a total loss. It was built in 1983.

A spokesman for fire rescue said they had trouble containing the fire, which spread to both sides of the motel. The Black Angus restaurant, which is attached to the hotel, was also damaged by the fire.

Fire crews from Osceola County Fire, Orange, Polk and Lake fire rescues, Orlando Fire, Kissimmee Fire and Reedy Creek are trying to put out the flames.

At least 120 people have been displaced by the fire. They watched helplessly as everything they owned burned inside the motel.

"And I have no home -- all my clothes, all my money, all my cigarettes. That's my life right there burning up in flames," said Mary Lords, who was staying at the motel.

Red Cross officials said people who were staying at the motel were bused over to Celebration High School, which had been turned into a shelter. That shelter is now closed, and the people have been found other temporary housing.

"Pretty much just watching everything I own burn. We don't know where we are going to go, what we are going to do. That stuff is not replaceable," said Ashley Fish, who was staying at the motel.

Five dogs and two cats were also rescued. Animal Control will take care of the pets until their owners can find stable housing.

Officials said the motel was built in the 1970s and the structure is mostly made of wood.

US Highway 192 (also known as Irlo Bronson Memorial Highway) was impacted by this fire all day. The lanes have now reopened.

http://www.cfnews13.com/article/new...-leaves-at-least-150-residents-without-a-home

2. robertcraig

robertcraig Serious Forum Regular

Airdrie, North Lanarkshire, United Kingdom
    THAT IS TRULY SCARY

3. foreverducky

foreverducky Addicted to Mickey

How horrible for all those involved.

4. robertcraig

What used to be the name of vacation lodge was it econolodge or was it a holiday inn I think I stayed there years ago

5. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

Robert, it was Vacation Lodge Maingate.

6. robertcraig

alright must have been an htel quite near as i remember the BLACK ANGUS