1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Laptops and other valuables at Disney?

Discussion in 'Resorts, Hotels, DVC, Villas' started by cosmicray, Mar 28, 2010.

1. cosmicray

cosmicray Earning my ears

We're going to be taking a couple of laptops for the first time and I dont know where to leave them when we go out?

I think I remember them having safes in all star movies but I dont think it'll be large enough for the laptops

so what do we do with them? what about jewelry is it safe in the room?
  2. foreverducky

foreverducky Addicted to Mickey

The safes in the room are really tiny. They can hold some jewelry, money, etc., but not much.
  3. cosmicray

eek :( so what do we do with the laptops :( I dont really want to leave them out in plain sight or is that ok?
  4. foreverducky

I have never taken a laptop. But if were I would put it on my luggage and then lock the luggage.
  5. cosmicray

thats a good idea thanks foreverducky. what does everyone else do some of you must take laptops or are we the only ones :point:
  6. foreverducky

Don't worry there are those out there like you. :D
  7. ukwdwnut

ukwdwnut Director of Recruitment Forum Host

taking just my camera stuff is enough for me, ive never needed to take a laptop so wont be in future for the above reason and also its security where to hide it :unsure:
  8. Britchick

Britchick Serious Forum Regular

i always take my laptop- it's good for researching places to go/eat. I like to check out the news and read my emails too.
  9. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

I take mine, and I lock it in the luggage and put the luggage in the closet. I've not had a problem.

However, I will tell you that (at least at OKW) some resorts have had thefts, where the police have been called.

That's when I started keeping anything of value out of sight.
  10. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

me too, we've had things taken from our room by housekeeping for sure

I make sure our insurance will cover anything I take and I put it in locked luggage and leave the luggage out of sight.
  11. Deafjeff

Deafjeff Serious Forum Regular

We do the same we keep our lap top in the suitcase and lock it. We brought our lap top last time we was at Pop Century and all was ok....
  12. Mags

Mags Serious Forum Regular

Like others have said, put it in the suitcase and tuck it away. Although we dont take a laptop we never put anything valuable in the tiny safe. (had $200 go missing at AS Movies) We use a strong combination lock on each suitcase and have never had a problem.

Margaret
  13. Slowhand

Slowhand Cruise Director Forum Host

Another option would be to ask at the front desk to see if they could look after any valuables for you.
    I dunno about the policy at WDW but I used to do this many times when on business trips in some of the more "iffy" countries.
  14. simonwebb74

simonwebb74 Earning my ears

We took our laptop last time to AS Sports. As has already been said, we locked it in the suitcase whenever we weren't using it.

I would think it pretty unlikely anyone would try to steal a suitcase from a room.
  15. Tink

As long as the suitcases are hard sided, eh? Mine is not, so it would only take a sharp implement to gain access.

I still lock it and put it in the closet, but that thought is always there too. :sigh:
  16. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

We have carrying cases for our laptops and we just keep them in there. That way they are out of sight.
  17. BUTTERHEAD1

BUTTERHEAD1 Addicted to Mickey

Keith I am actually surprised to hear that housekeeping has stolen items from you. We have brought a laptop the last few trips and have left it on the table in the room,we have also left cameras and Ipods and cash in the room and have never worried that they would be stolen. After reading this thread I probably wont do that again.
  18. Tink

No don't. We get lulled thinking that things like that don't happen at WDW, but they do. :sorry:

Not only do staff make off with things from time to time, but guests have actually had their villas (again at OKW) broken into by outsiders, meaning not guests and not staff.

(Police were called, etc.).

Be safe, regardless of where you are.

Slowhand, that is excellent advice. I believe it's standard policy for the front desk to have a safe in which you can place your valuables if you don't want to leave them in the room.
  19. PsychoAlice

PsychoAlice Resident Anarchist

I too have never had anything stolen and at times there were 2 Canon Rebels and 3 laptops left out
  20. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

Sorry I missed this until I saw PA quote it

I guess it all depends on who is servicing the room :( some folks would rather die than do something like that, others can't resist.

Like most folks who've travelled on business, I've stayed in a seriously huge amount of different hotels around the world and had some weird experiences. Once in London I woke up to see a woman in my room with my laptop computer in her hand just about to start looking through my jacket. Turned out to be one of the housekeeping staff who had just joined and she, along with a male, had systematically gone through a load of rooms that night.

Another time, came back to the room to see housekeeping (again) exiting the room with my laptop :(

Disney, well to be honest it was quite some time ago now since anything happened, 9/10 years when I think about it (jeez time goes quickly) at all star movies.

We've had other minor things at Disney since then, like we tend to get some American cakes for people, ding dongs or whatever, and several times we've put them in drawers and come back to find them opened, a couple missing and then resealed. The first time we thought they may have been bought like that so we've always been careful to check since. Lo and behold, come back to opened packet and missing cakes. No huge financial loss but cheeky and out of order.

It's not every time, far from it! but enough to make me take care with laptops and the like