1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

letting kids have charges on their room key

Discussion in 'Resorts, Hotels, DVC, Villas' started by disneymom, Sep 28, 2008.

1. disneymom

disneymom Imagineer

How safe is it to add charging ability to kids room keys? Can I choose the limit they have and will they be able to use them without questions or only if I'm with them?

2. Britchick

Britchick Serious Forum Regular

depends on the child, you can't set a limit as far as i know. I am going to let ds do it on the next trip because he will be 16 but it will be closely monitored lol

3. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

I've heard that if they look pretty young, they'll often get asked where their parents are... so I'm not SURE it'll work well under a certain age

4. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

Have the child keep all receipts and turn them in to you at the end of the day. You can't set a limit at the check in desk, but you can set personal limits. The receipts will verify that the limit has not been exceeded.

You can also check at the front desk to be sure that the info you are getting is valid, if you have reason to suspect some of the required receipts have gone missing. :D

It can teach a good level of responsibility. I can also end up being a horror story, gone worse. (I've had some reports of excessive charging, and no recourse as you've already given permission by allowing them the card).

5. Britchick

Britchick Serious Forum Regular

Dan will only get it if we are separating in the parks,

6. Team Harris

Team Harris Earning my ears

During our last visit in 2007, we gave both our boys a Disney Giftcard. We started them off with $30 and then topped it up every few days with an agreed amount. We liked this idea as it saved them keep asking us for money (we could keep track of how much they were hitting us for - lol). They loved the independence and also learnt to save up for bigger more special items. Will definitely do this again.:overhere:

7. lisaw

lisaw Serious Forum Regular

That is a great idea, I hadn't thought about doing that before - will definitely give that a go next year - thanks for the tip! :)

8. BigThunder

BigThunder a cool thingy

My oldest, now 15, has wanted charging privelages for awhile but I've always declined. Not so much that I worry about her or what she'd do with it. For one thing she is always with me & for another she wouldn't do anything wrong like buying things she knows she shouldn't. But I do worry if she lost her purse or misplaced the card what could happen.

I may allow her this time tho. She's very responsible. My girls save up their spending money via allowances & whatever money they can earn between trips & that is what they have to spend. So this would be a good way to teach her to keep track of her finances & to know each day how much she has left. It could still backfire unless I am also keeping track along with her tho, lol.

9. Val

Val Disney Secrets

we gave Teri charging this year (she's 12) and she loved to be able to buy something and run through the charging and shipping details, but still young enough to be intimidated, then we ran through the bill on the last day to tally up.... so she still saw it had to be paid for

10. Momof5

Momof5 Earning my ears

You have to be careful- our son lost his key- it had everything attached to it: room key, meal plan, charge card, hopper pass. We only had one charge that was not ours by the time we were able to get the key disabled and another one issued- it was a big hassle though.

We give our kids Disney dollars now- if they lose them it is not the end of the world.

11. BigThunder

BigThunder a cool thingy

That is my biggest fear. Not just with my kids but with myself even! But with kids the fear is bigger because, well...they're kids & they aren't perfect.

12. Val

Val Disney Secrets

we found the lanyard with the sealable pouch attached great for her to keep the card safe (and dry) also the CM's loved them during EMH when we needed to show our room key at each attraction, makes entry much quicker and easier for all. (OT I know, but the thought sprung into my head, so I said it).