1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Living with the Land closed for refurbishment January 18th 2010 - February 5th 2010

Discussion in 'Refurbs/Closures' started by eeyoreguy, Dec 29, 2009.

1. eeyoreguy

eeyoreguy Earning my ears

Living with the Land closed for refurbishment January 18th 2010 - February 5th 2010

2. Skywatcher

Skywatcher Chief Astronomer

Ouch - Soarin is a Huge part of any Disney vacation

3. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

I think it's just the boat portion of the place, not the entire building? :unsure: At least that is what the local scuttlebutt says.

4. Skywatcher

D'oh

Of course I read the title and thought the whole 'land' pavillion was shut for rehab - my bad

5. Tinkfan

Tinkfan Earning my ears

Didn't they just refurbish the boats in September?

6. Tink

I think sometimes WDW shuts attractions down "for refurbishing" just to cut the cost of operating them during so called slower parts of the year.

It's one of my pet peeves. Disney charges the same amount regardless of which attractions are up and running, so they should keep them all "up" as far as I'm concerned.

Remember when all the magic was preserved due to the crews that worked at night? That's the way things were ... ugh. I sound old. And crotchety. :sorry:

7. Skywatcher

I agree entirely, but some rehabs you can see them working their socks off - Splash shut a few years back and the rate they were painting it was phenomenal and became an attaction in itself and, I have to say looks spanking new te following week

8. lisaw

lisaw Serious Forum Regular

Yes it was down for a fairly long refurb this summer - definitely looks like cost cutting then.

9. gwennie81

gwennie81 Earning my ears

Living with the Land was down in September :yes:
    One change I noticed after the ride went back to operational was at the very end the dwarf wheat is no longer sponsored by NASA. They changed the little signs.

Maybe also they will be rotating some of the plants in there and generally making the place look nicer. (The room with the gators and fish is pretty scuzzy looking) HAHA!

Living With The Land is probably my favorite ride at Epcot! I'll be sure to go on it here in a couple weeks with my folks.

10. Tink

You know? I've always liked that silly thing too. :embarassed: I remember the very first time I went on that attraction, there was a CM who went along and did narration for the entire thing. It was more personable then, and people seemed to pay more attention.

Now, quite often you get on a boat filled with chatterboxes who won't hark their noise long enough for you to hear what the spiel is saying. :sigh:

I've often thought about taking the Behind the Seeds tour... never have yet, maybe one day. :yes:

11. gwennie81

Those chatterboxes are probably people waiting for their fast pass to come up for Soarin'. HA!

One of my friends did the Behind the Seeds tour once. She said it's basically the same information from the boat except you can ask questions. I guess it would be worth it if you were curious about anything you see during the ride. :yes:

12. Tink

We are quite interested in hydroponic growing, so I'd have loads of questions. The one thing we've discovered (from buying hydroponically grown produce) is that the items seem to have a bit less flavor than those grown conventionally.

At any rate, it's certainly one of the least expensive tours.

13. gwennie81

I would guess that hydroponic plants would have less flavor because they're more "watery". I think when things are grown in the ground they pick up more "flavor" from the nutrients and minerals in the soil.

14. gwennie81

Also, if you have a Disney Rewards Visa you get 10% or 20% off of tours (can't remember which). I've been thinking about doing the Epcot Segway tour. It would be ~$10 off with my card. It might be worth it!

15. Tink

Now that was a fun tour. :yes: We did it for Herself's birthday a couple of years back. I think there may be an AP discount attached to it too? I know I had some sort of discount (maybe DVC? :unsure:).

It's great fun though. We now want to do the Fort Wilderness one.

Yes, I think you must be right. The water, instead of the terrior (not to sound too winey... :lol: ) is the difference in taste in those items grown hydroponically. I still would like to learn more though. :yes: