1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Long time no see - off back to WDW & NYC in June

Discussion in 'Itineraries' started by Mike, Apr 15, 2014.

1. Mike

Mike Imagineer

NW UK, handy for the Lakes, Dales, Peak District a
    Howdy guys. Not been around for a while (no $$$ for a trip, sob!) but have sold the kids and we're off back to the Mouse and more in June for 2 weeks to celebrate my 50th. Here's the itinerary:

Combatants: Mike (49.9) & Amanda (42, shhh!)

Saturday 7th June - fly Virgin to MCO, hand luggage only for speedy exit from the airport. Rental car is a convertible. Drive straight across to Siesta Key on the Gulf for 4 nights in this wee cottage - http://www.vrbo.com/428740 -, much beach wandering and sunset walks and perhaps the odd cocktail or three. We are going to visit Anna Maria Island to wander the boardwalk nature walk, and have lunch at the beachfront Sandbar Restaurant, and on another day do a mangrove tunnel kayak trip and lunch at the Amish Yoder's Village. (hmmmm... pie!!)

Wednesday 11th June - early departure, arrive Busch Gardens for opening, hit SheikRa and the rest of the coasters until lunchtime, then drive back across to Celebration to say 'hi' to my rocking chair and a Starbucks. Quick stop at Publix for essentials like wine, beer etc, and hopefully time the landing for check-in at 4pm at the Boardwalk Villas. Staying 6 nights, using rented DVC points (cheers Mikki!)

We've booked a few ADRs and all our Fastpass+'s, and will do the parks to death over the next few days, including at least 2 nights in Jellyrolls and a La Nouba. My birthday is on the middle Saturday, and we're kicking it off with breakfast at Boma before spending most of the day at my second home, Epcot, finishing with Illuminations and Jellyrolls. The day after is our anniversary, and as we met at a Starbucks in Manchester, we always try to visit one on the day to celebrate. So Celebration again, with a Sunday Brunch booked in at Town Tavern. Waterpark day Monday, followed by meeting mates from Rochdale for a few drinks and a final Illuminations.

Tuesday 17th: early check-out, drive to Universal Orlando for 7:30 to dump bags at the Royal Pacific Resort, grab our FOTL passes and head into the parks. We're quite good at getting both parks done in a single day and aim to be done in time for dinner at Bubba Gumps and a few Margaritas at the Lone Palm Bar. Quiet evening, and then another silly early departure to catch a 7:00am flight up to New York, landing at 09:30. We've pre-booked Dial7 Towncars for the pickup and transfer to Manhattan, and for the return on Saturday.

Dump the bags at the Hudson on W58th (we stayed here in 2006 and loved the location and the hotel's indoor park and cocktail bar. This time the roof terrace bar will be open too.
    We're meeting our best mates (who visit NYC every year, usually late summer or New Year, and are coming out at a different time of year to help with my 50th celebrations, bless them!) at Cipriani's in Grand Central at lunchtime for cocktails. The next 3 days will be spent revisiting favourite places (Brooklyn, The Highline, Central Park) and seeing some new sights that our mates want to show us.

Saturday 21st - busy morning, squeezing in as much as possible before heading off at 3pm for an evening flight back to the UK.

And....... breathe.

How's that sound?

Mike & Amanda

2. Beccaberry

Beccaberry She's beccalicious! Forum Host

Sounds like an AMAZING trip!!!!!!! The PERFECT way to celebrate a milestone birthday, Mike!!

Can't wait to hear more of the details! Oh, and WELCOME BACK! You've been missed!

3. robertcraig

robertcraig Serious Forum Regular

Airdrie, North Lanarkshire, United Kingdom
    That is some trip how do you manage with just hand luggage

4. Isafari

Isafari Wild Animal Expert

Sounds amazing. I have considerd AMI a few times and backed out of it. I just hate busy beaches and, even though I have heard this isn't the case here, I don't want to risk it. The beach would have to be practically deserted for me to enjoy it and we have to go peak times! Looking forward to hearing what you think of it.

5. Mike

Mike Imagineer

Thanks guys, it's good to be back. :yes:

I've been to Siesta Key 3 times in the past, and the main beach is vast, with plenty of room to have space to yourself. We're not really beach types anyway, this is just a way to chill a bit before we enter the fray of the parks, and as i was there for my 40th, I want to go back for sentimental reasons. The Village area is quite vibrant at night, with loads of bars and restaurants, and the accommodation is only a couple of hundred yards from the 'strip'.

We have done all our trips with carry-on for the last 8 years or so, and it's easy. I have lightweight shorts and trousers, shirts and t-shirts, most of them from Rohan, and they wash in a sink, dry in a couple of hours and don't need ironing. I only wear sandals in florida, so only need trainers for New York and a skinny pair of moccasins for any 'posh' meals. Amanda's stuff is even easier - her clothes are mostly of tiny volume and no weight. We take very few cosmetics - absolute essentials only, and buy anything we need at the first Publix! No missing or lost cases and half the time in the airports. :wiggle:

6. Tony G

Tony G Serious Forum Regular

Hmm... I like the idea of travelling with cabin baggage only - I was tempted to try it before but you've got me intrigued enough that I might give it a shot next time.

It does sound like a great trip!

Mike likes this.
  7. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

Hi Mike and welcome back :wave:

Your trip sounds amazing and I'm really looking forward to hearing all about it. I love your trip reports :D

Mike likes this.
  8. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

I thoroughly enjoy your trip reports! Nothing like living vicariously through you. :D This is going to be a terrific 50th birthday celebration!

9. Mike

Mike Imagineer

Cheers m'dears!! New Trippie book and pen already packed. :yes:

10. Deafjeff

Deafjeff Serious Forum Regular

gosh! Felt breathless after reading your trip plan! Looks amazing! Cant wait to hear more about it!

11. Mike

Mike Imagineer

Ha ha, Jeff, thanks! Believe it or not, there's still quite a few gaps deliberately left so we can be 'impulsive' along the way, and we have rainy day plan B's in place too!