1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Look west tonight at 5-6pm if its clear

Discussion in 'Astronomy & Astrophotography' started by Skywatcher, Dec 1, 2008.

1. kazzaqld

kazzaqld Addicted to Mickey

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia
    From here it looked like a long smiley face - the moon was the smile and the two planets the eyes.

It was soooo funny, Gareth and were looking in totally the wrong direction until DH came home and told us he'd seen them the whole time he was walking home and to look west not east - duh!! :unsure:

2. Deb

Deb Serious Forum Regular

Thanks Chris :D

Strangely enough I was going to google what they were tonight...sheesh! To think all I had to do was come back "home" again ;)

3. mumof2

mumof2 Serious Forum Regular

oh burgers - i forgot :sigh:

4. Skywatcher

Skywatcher Chief Astronomer

So true hun :D

5. Dizneyblonde

Dizneyblonde Secret's Birthday Fairy!

We saw it too, it looked beautiful :D

6. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

You'll wonder how you ever got along without this community of wonderful people, Deb. :yes: It's a very special place that our Keith has given us. Each person here has brought her or his own bit of magic and what an incredible home we have built.

You are going to be so pleased with all your discoveries! :yes:

7. lozzy

lozzy Addicted to Mickey

We saw this tonight, I was of to work at about 4.50 and I looked up to see the lovely site, didn't have time to photograph but never mind.

8. lozzy

lozzy Addicted to Mickey

Was this a one night thing or will it be there again tonight,???

9. Skywatcher

They will be together but not as close - there will be no Occultation of venus by the moon tonight - if you were watching yesterday the moon passed infront of venus and hid it from view for about an hour or so.

try photographing jupiter like I did and see if you can get any of the moons :D - had to go for a high ISO so I could keep the exposures short enough to get them without them being lost to trailing

10. lozzy

lozzy Addicted to Mickey

Great I'll have a look, I'm of to work at 4.45pm so I'll get my camera ready just encase it's clear.

Do you know the settings you had your camera set to? just means I don't have to send to long getting them right. can't be late for work.:laugh2:

11. Skywatcher

dont k now took about 30-40 at different exposures to get different effects - for that used the 100-300 zoom lens wound most of the way out - manually focussed as autofocus has a mare at night. Wanted to capture the earthshine on the moon (lighting the unlit bit of the moon with light bouncing off the planet) and realised if I kept the exposures short could get the moons of Jupiter as well - there are actually 3 moons around jupiter on the pic if you zoom in and tweak the settings

Dont quote me but I think it was iso 1600 and about a 1-2 second exposure

12. lozzy

lozzy Addicted to Mickey

Thank you, I'm really hoping it stays clear for tonight.

13. Britchick

Britchick Serious Forum Regular

clear night tonight yippee! came out of work today and it was a perfect sight, just beautiful. Came home and went straight out with the camera- didn't take the tripod out because it's not sturdy enough imo (hope santa will bring me a more sturday one:yes:) couldn't keep camera steady enough and clouds kept obscuring the planets. Very very cool though, thanks Chris for telling us about these things :hug2:

14. Beccaberry

Beccaberry She's beccalicious! Forum Host

I saw it last night!! I did, I did!! It was so cool too...Jon and I had met at our local coffehouse for "Open Bottle Monday" (any open bottle of wine for $5!! AND free wifi :yes: ) So, as we chatted our way through a couple of bottles, we look at Dawn's, Skywatcher's and other's photos...very cool photos, btw. As we left the coffeehouse, I heard Jon say, "Wow. It looks just like the photos!" I looked up and there it was!! We rushed home grabbed the kids and towed them outside to see as well...Baleigh was very impressed, Andrew wanted to know if we'd been drinking :rolleyes: (busybody). I tried to take a few photos, even using Jon's head as a tripod, but they didn't come out for beans...I did manage to film a short clip of them though!

VERY COOL!!!

Thanks for sharing, Chris and Dan!!!

15. Watchinherskip

Watchinherskip Better known as "That Guy"

Well it was a bit overcast just as the sun was heading down. I managed a few shots into the darkening sky but my Fuji didn't have a manual focus (as far as I could find in limited time). I took a dozen shot or so and planned to include them here, but left my cable home. I will upload them this evening. I played around with the images a bit on the camera and will try to clean them up a bit.

It is interesting to see the movement of the moon from the time Chris took his shots (I guess around 17:00 gmt) and the time that I took my shots (around 22:00 gmt) as well as the angled difference from 37 degrees of latitude to near I guess 50 degrees latitude.

We all saw it at differnt times and have slightly different persepctives on the event. Cool.:thumbsup:

16. Beccaberry

Beccaberry She's beccalicious! Forum Host

Well, I don't know from angled differences and latitudes, I just thought it was purdy :wink:

17. Watchinherskip

Yes it was...very. I got my DD Alex to come out with me to take some pictures of it. Not sure which ones are hers...probably the better ones:tongue:

18. Watchinherskip

Here is the computer's prediction for tonight's alignment (for my location). The moon moves right along. Each day the moon rises about 50 minutes later than the previous day's moon rise. This due to the moon progressing along in its orbit. As we rotate back to the spot it used to occupy in space (about 24 hours) we find that it has moved. It takes the Earth about 50 minutes to "catch up to the moon" and the cycle begins again.

Attached Files:

19. Watchinherskip

At home, here are a few pictures from last night..not the best but nice for comaprison views.

Attached Files:

20. Skywatcher

Awesome pics Dan - just love the different perspective from a lower latitude mine were taken at about 18.00 ut

Brit hun :hug2: you are most welcome , oh and my tripod cost £9.99 :D - I do use a cheapo remote shutter cable though to minimise wobble