1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Looking for a good carry on bag?

Discussion in 'Transportation & Travel' started by keith, Jan 4, 2014.

1. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

I must have about 20 different carry ons :/ I could go through and tell you what's wrong with each one :lol:

I started with a decent enough large laptop bag which still works but with all the compartments, there's not very much actual room for larger items. It also gets heavy and has no wheels to roll it.

I think what's best for space is a simple holdall idea but something with a trolley/wheels on it BUT still light enough and the right size for carry on!

What do you use?

2. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

Chris has a nice bag but I can't remember what make it is so I'm not much help really :lol:

He carries his camera, lenses and 2 laptops.

I'll look when I get home - if I remember :D

3. keith

ooo yes please! that's about what I carry and definitely having trouble with the ones I have

4. Esmeralda

Esmeralda Serious Forum Regular

I use a suitcase, the smaller cabin size. They come in different *cabin* sizes you can get away with the larger cabin sized one which is what I have. Call it paranoia but I always put some clothes in mine in case my other suitcase of clothes get lost, I need to have something to wear and swim in. Love the fact it has wheels, so much easier.

5. Tony G

Tony G Serious Forum Regular

I have something of a luggage fetish (don't worry, I'm going to the group meetings).

I used to have an Antler, now I've switched to a Samsonite that carries monstrous amounts.

Some of the best thought-out and specified bags are made by Tom Bihn - they have a dot com site. Well worth a look.

6. Esmeralda

ooh er never heard of Tom Bihn, off to look now :)

7. Esmeralda

They're not cheap, off to look for one with wheels I must have wheels. Still having said that my Matalan one was perfect and was only about £20 squid.

8. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

Carry ons. :sigh: I have several, and switch off and on, hoping that one of them will magically become the perfect carryon. Hasn't happened yet. :D I prefer wheels, of course, but do have a matching set where one bag rests on the other one which has wheels. The only problem with that is when the gate check is offered, I lose my wheels. :(

I have yet to find the perfect one, so I'll keep looking… I really prefer that the carryon fit under the seat in front of me. Since I prefer aisle seat that under section is smaller than the other two.

keith likes this.
  9. Britchick

Britchick Serious Forum Regular

I have a Mickey Mouse wheeled case which fits BAs guidance for Carry on guidance. I carry all the paper work, cameras, laptop, iPads, chargers etc and on the way back precious or breakable souvenirs

10. Tony G

You know, I never noticed Tom Bihn didn't do any wheeled cases!

I dropped them an email to ask if they have any in the pipeline. Hopefully it'll spark some thought even if they don't already.

I love my Samsonite (it's scarily light) but I'd swap for a Tom Bihn given half the chance.

11. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

I like the looks of those cases with the four wheels. I bought a huge case with four wheels and the airline broke it the first time out. :sigh: So, I'd use them only as carry ons. But I'm afraid I'd not get it under that seat in front of me. I like to keep soft sided cases for that very reason.

12. keith

yeah my theory is for carry on I need something soft sided that can mould a little bit to whatever space it has. At the moment I'm thinking more like a holdall style but I want wheels too. No compartments to take space away just one big space

13. Britchick

Britchick Serious Forum Regular

i can't work them at all, get into all types of grief!!

14. Tony G

A soft bag with wheels is going to be tough, unless you look at those duffle bags with two wheels so you can drag them along. Trouble with them is they are so soft, the wheels push up into the bag, so you're dragging the fabric of the bag along the floor. You might get away with it on a smooth airport floor, but as soon as you get outside, you're going to damage the bag unless you pick it up.

If you want something soft, may I suggest a rucksack?

15. keith

yeah I was starting to look at the duffle bags.... I guess then we're left with smallish soft suitcases then

16. Tony G

The Antler bags are pretty soft, although they look rigid enough to be neat. They use fabric over a semi-rigid exoskeleton, so you can contort them a fair bit if you need to. They're also brilliant keeping the weight down and having enough grab handles that you can pull your bag out of all manner of tight situations.

The Samsonite bags tend to have a more rigid shell, so although they will distort if you need them to, there's the possibility of denting them if you push too far.

17. Esmeralda

I can see Keef with a Trunkie :D