1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Lost child

Discussion in 'General' started by Suebeattie, Jul 21, 2013.

1. Suebeattie

Suebeattie Addicted to Mickey

Hi all those with little people. It's our first big holiday with our little man and he will be well and truly toddling.
    What sort of thing do you use to have your details on your child just incase they get lost?
    I know it will probably never happen but I'm one of those just incase people :)
    Thanks
    :wiggle:

2. Dawn

Dawn carpe diem-ing Forum Host

First tip is don't panic! :mental:

At the start of every day when we took little ones we would take a photo of them, so that if the worst happened we could show someone exactly what they looked like and what they are wearing.

Also, don't start running around all over the park. Stay right where you are and alert the nearest cast member what has happened.

The theme parks have never let one escape yet. They know what to do. My friend lost her 6 year old in Sea World last year and went into complete meltdown and was demanding they shut all exits etc. The staff knew exactly what to do and where to look and they found him in a few minutes. He was in the play nets which was exactly where the staff said he would be. :lol:

3. Suebeattie

Thanks dawn. It scares the hell out of me - I know if he does go missing most the time it will just be a case of him wandering off but nowadays you never know.
    I probably would do the same as your friend.
    I was thinking about taking a picture of him before we left the villa in the morning like you have suggested.
    Just investigating ID bands at the moment - any recommendations are greatly appreciated.

4. Britchick

Britchick Cast Member

When they were little I'd make them go in the strollers if it was really crowded. When my friend and I took our 5 children we used this method a lot or made them hold onto the stroller. Since the age of about 3 we taught them to not panic but go directly to a CM in a store or restaurant and tell them that they were lost. None of us want to think about it but in case of them being taken by anyone I told them to shout at the top of their voices...'you're not my Mum\Dad as if they just screamed people would think they were just playing up or over tired!

5. Vikki

Vikki Serious Forum Regular

We always show our kids what a CM badge looks like, and tell them if they get lost, they're a safe person to go to.

6. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

I've seen families pin info on the back of the youngest ones (who were able to walk). Or at least I presume that is what it is. They use/d clear name badge sorts of things with paper inserts. The info was turned to the inside (because having your child's name displayed can be a problem too, "C'mere Billy..").

We had a really frightening experience with a 12 year old one time. We let the 12 year old go to Innoventions alone with the complete understanding of where and when to meet. We made sure the 12 year old had a watch. The 12 year old lost track of time and didn't meet us at the exact time and place. It was a very unpleasant 20 minutes... I totally get needing to feel safe.

I forget the terminology used by Disney CMs... they don't say "lost child." I think it's something like "separated from her/his party." I've seen them working with little kids before (usually appearing to be in the 5-9 age bracket) and they are really kind and sweet to them.

Teaching older children to go to a CM is good, but little toddlers, that can be a trick.

7. catrancher

catrancher Assistant Cruise Director Forum Host

Don't lost children end up in "It's a Small World" and you have to ride it over and over again to pick them out and claim them? :surrender:

Seriously, all good advice above. If the worst should happen, contact a Disney CM and let them work their magic. There's a lot more of them than there is of you and I'm sure they can all be on the lookout in a matter of minutes.

Tom :)macwave:... don't worry too much!)

8. Shellyamc

Shellyamc Serious Forum Regular

I just saw something on facebook where you write your name and phone number ( or whatever info you want) in sharpie and then put a layer of that liquid bandage stuff over it. It will wear off eventually, but will easily last through your holiday even with showers and going in the pool. I'm thinking we might give this "tattoo" a try :yes:

9. Suebeattie

Ha ha Tom!! Zac will be 20 months so won't understand going to find a cast member or another person. He doesn't mind wearing his reigns so if he's out of his buggy he will have those on but just want a just in case he's having a free 5 minutes.
    Don't get me wrong we're not the sort of parents to let him wander off without holding onto him or keeping an eye on him but you never know what happens - there might be a I took my eyes of him for 1 second moment or he just makes a run for it :)

10. Suebeattie

I think some places call their lost children centres "lost parent" centres
    :)

11. Dawn

Dawn carpe diem-ing Forum Host

The Boneyard in AK is a lost parent center. I loved it. Full of parents wandering around looking for their children.:rotfl:

12. Beccaberry

Beccaberry She's beccalicious! Forum Host

All really excellent advice here. Being alert and prepared (as you are doing) is the very best thing you can do. Speaking as a mom that DID "lose" her child in Disney World for a verrrrrrrrrry long 15 minutes, you can never be too prepared. Good on you!