1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Low Carb Dining at WDW

Discussion in 'Restaurants, Dining, Dining Plans' started by wdwgrandma, Sep 23, 2010.

1. wdwgrandma

wdwgrandma Addicted to Mickey

DH needs to watch his carbs (I guess I do too...) because he has type 2 Diabetes, and I'm wondering if anyone else out there has encountered this issue while at WDW? What do you eat? Do you have problems finding low carb foods - including snacks? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Tinkfan

Tinkfan Earning my ears

How is his glucose control Donna? It really depends on that. There is alot of walking at the parks and that does influence how much he can safely consume. I'm a Type 1 but a rule of thumb during vacation is to become a member of the " order what you like, never clean your plate and have all sauces on the side club" That being said that philosophy is only for vacation! Of course common sense does have to prevail pasta with alfredo sauce 3 times in a week isn't a good thing. There can be quite a bit of carbs in beer and such.If at a buffet twice as many veggies as starch. Has his doc given him a total number of carbs per day?

3. wdwgrandma

I guess he will have to come along and answer your questions... I think he was told he could have 5 carbs per meal. So if a carb is 15 grams, that would be 75 grams per meal, or 225 grams a day? I'm supposed to limit myself to 150 grams or less a day.

4. wdwgrandma

For the most part I pretty much avoid bread, potatoes, and rice. And I've cut WAY back on the amount of juice I drink. I've basically cut out cranberry juice, and now DH and I share that 6 oz glass of OJ every morning. I'm not a pretzel person - DH and I may share 1 soft pretzel a year - and I scrape the salt chunks off if they don't have any unsalted ones.

5. Tinkfan

Tinkfan Earning my ears

For myself I find it's hard to stay as strict as when I'm home. I'm on a 2200 cal diet so I have a lot of :wiggle: room. Unfortunately I love carbs more than anything!! Pasta, bread ect. I do try to stay within reason though. I don't drink my carbs, No juice, I have water, unsweetened tea , or on occasion a diet coke. I'll order dessert but only eat a few bites ( we use the meal plan!) I'll taste it all but really tighten up on portion control. That's only because of the miles of walking we do . I always go low at least once during the day at WDW.At home it's easier, I don't uusually serve prime rib, lots of turkey and chicken, salads and veggies.

6. wdwgrandma

The dessert part is easy when we are out. I seldom have dessert. Not that I don't like it. I do. I just don't have the room after my meal. And I don't eat that much. I'm not a big eater. In fact, I really have to pace myself to make it through a meal without getting too full. There are times, however, when the only thing on the menu that I'll eat may be a pasta dish. At Flying Fish, for example. I don't eat fish or seafood. But I had a lovely vegetarian pasta dish there one evening. And when I was finished, it looked like I'd hardly touched it! If I have steak, I order the smallest filet they have on the menu and still end up leaving at least half of it.

I am lactose intolerant and pack Lactaid in the event I decide to have the coveted Mickey ice cream bar - and I almost never get one! There have been many trips to WDW when I've managed to head home without ever having one.

I'm not a turkey person - a slice of white meat on Thanksgiving and I'm done for the year. And I only eat white meat chicken - no skin. ewwwww..... If it wasn't for the occasional filet, BBQ ribs, bacon or ham, I could probably be a vegetarian! I love most veggies (except okra, squash of any kind, or beets) and most fruits (no melon of any sort, papaya... golly, that's about it).

DH is a much better eater than I am. He likes almost everything! Not picky at all. He especially loves fish and seafood, veal, lamb, venison, etc. But he also loves veggies and fruit.

7. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

I haven't actually met with a Dietitian yet. I spoke with one briefly at the hospital and she is the one that told me I should limit my self to 5 carbs (75g) per meal. My A1C has been in the mid 6. range for quite a while but spiked to 7.1 while I was in the hospital, which the Dr.s in the hospital told me is not unusual. I had a 12 hour fasting blood test done on the Friday after I left the hospital.

8. Tinkfan

Tinkfan Earning my ears

No, you can usually expect an increase when your ill :hug2: How are you feeling? Do you monitor with a glucometer? Do you have a history of dropping? If not, enjoy your vacation, use common sense, eliminate the deadly trio( alcohol, appetizer and dessert) Pick one per day! Don't feel deprived but don't be crazy.:tongue:

9. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

John, be very careful with the dietician. One nearly killed me. 75 grams of carbs per meal is NOT low carb for type II diabetics (generally speaking). 40 grams of carbs is more like it, but it's critical to know what carbs you are ingesting. White bread? NO. Whole wheat pasta? Yes. Add a little good oil (olive is best, first cold pressed extra virgin) to any carb to slow down the body's absorption.

Watch out for peas, carrots (although they have other good things) corn, that sort of carby veg. Go with vegetables that have a lower glycemic index.

You'll get the hang of it... but seriously? You'll be better off educating yourself. Once you have a template, you will have to experiment with what works for your body. What works for you isn't what works for me, or others. It's like any sort of medicine, all depends upon the person's physiology. And yep. That food; anything you put in your mouth, it's all medicine.

10. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

Thanks Tink. I don't do white bread unless it is a whole grain or a slice of Italian. I've been using EVOO since before it was the thing to do. I'm trying to add more leafy green veggies to my diet. And most of the pasta I eat any more is Dreamfields. I'm still doing a lot of research on carbs vs. dietary fiber carbs and what they mean.

11. Tink

You are your own best nutritionist. Use the dietician's recommendations as a starting point, but be sure to keep uppermost what you know to be true for you.

For example, I had the dietician tell me that I could eat NINE stuffed shells (with cheese and sausage). Now. Who the heck can eat nine of those things in one setting in the first place, but seriously? Really? That was one of her "smarter" comments. I ended up discussing her novel approach to nutrition with the director of the hospital's nutrition team/department, but still who knows how many people she mislead.

I know how much butter I can tolerate without a spike in BG or rise in cholesterol levels. I know how much dark chocolate I can eat, and what brands without a spike... I know that any pasta will spike with me, but if I'm going to have it, it's always whole wheat (Dreamfields didn't work as well as whole wheat for me). I know that I can eat my weight in fish/shellfish with no problems except a nice resurgence of my thyroid (working as it should). Leafy greens are by the ton. I feel like a manatee. :D

Try swiss chard. It's very mild and very good/for you. Collard is nice and you can replace the high fat pork with a very small bit of smoked turkey and loads of garlic... yummy stuff.

It's about reorganizing the way you eat what you love, and learning that some of what you love doesn't love you... :( :sigh:

It takes a lot of work in the beginning, but once you've got your pattern down, you are so good to go!

Oh, and yes, I still enjoy red wine. :yes:

12. Tink

Oh meant to say that when there is an alternative to something you usually have, but no longer should, and you think/know you won't/don't like the alternative, go without the loved version for a long time (at least three months). Then replace it with the alternative. You'll be surprised!

I had to do that with pasta. I didn't eat any pasta for a year! Then when I did I used only whole wheat and was ok with it.

Same with skim milk. Avoided milk for over a year, and when I replaced it with skim, all was well... except in coffee. I take it black now because I just can't stand skim in my coffee.