1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Mac and cheese

Discussion in 'Disney Recipes' started by mainecoon lover, Aug 17, 2008.

1. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

I'm not sure that is the case. I have an acquaintance that works in one of the huge kitchen set ups for Disney and he makes monstrous batches of Mickey shaped pasta mac and cheese. I was under the impression that WDW made all of it's own food, and didn't use other companies products. :unsure:

2. foreverducky

foreverducky Addicted to Mickey

I know I'm a minority, but I like wrapped plastic cheese. :D

John, that mac/cheese sounds so yummy!

3. Tink

Herself does too, foreverducky. She particularly likes it for certain things (toasted cheese, etc.) and :eek: She likes VELVEETA! :eek: She doesn't eat it much (I make that a little difficult :sorry: ) but she does like it. :sigh:

4. foreverducky

That's what I use it for too...and sometimes put it my salad. Also like Velveeta too. I make cheese soup with it. :D

5. Mags

Mags Serious Forum Regular

I dont mean to be rude but I didnt like the Mac and Cheese in the States either. I love it made with strong cheddar and hot English mustard. It is just too mild tasting and the cheese doesnt taste of much. Oooops!

Margaret

6. Ursula

Ursula Cast Member

Apparently in Barbados they have macaroni pie... which is macaroni cheese with a Barbados sauce in it?... I gather it's a hot sauce of some kind, so looking forward to trying that. I cheat and make mine now with either ASDA or Sainsbury's ready made tubs of four cheese sauce (found by the fresh pasta section) and add whatever cheese I have in the fridge to it like parmesan and crumbled blue cheese and a spoonful of hot English mustard then grate cheese over it all and slices of tomato and course black pepper over it... yummy....

But pasta really fills me up quick now so I can only have a small cereal bowl of it at a time now... which is good I spose...

7. Tink

Well, I made a variation of mac and cheese for dinner yesterday. I wasn't pleased with the result, but those who ate it said it was good. :shrug:

Helly :hug2: I have to avoid pasta all together. It's a true weakness of mine and if I start, all sorts of 'out of control' eating comes into play. I'm teaching myself that it is a poison to me. :sigh: I wonder if I'll ever get to the point where I believe that? :D

8. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

Tink, if the pasta problem is the carbs, try Dreamfields. It is a bit more expensive but has more digestible carbs and is recommended for diabetics.

9. foreverducky

I do enjoy wheat pasta. :D But only every once in a while.

10. Tink

I've tried Deamfields. :yes:

I use only whole wheat pasta, never semolina and or durham wheat anymore. :sigh:

It doesn't help much, John. :( It still spikes the glucose (and since I don't use meds to control it, only diet, I have to be wicked careful) but moreso sets off those craving types of behaviors (eating beyond the point of satiety and being hungry within thirty minutes-all traceable back to the carb spiking).

It's also a psychological thing with me. Pasta is attached to all the warm fuzzies of my childhood...

Best avoided, at least at this point. :yes: Perhaps I'll get good enough at the combining of foods for glucose control to pair it with thing that don't cause such a spike in glucose (protiens, ect.). Then I'll only have to deal with the emotional constructs! :D :D

It is a good product for anyone though, John. :yes: Glucose spike is glucose spike regardless of whether someone is diabetic or not.

11. Tinkfan

Tinkfan Earning my ears

I'm a type 1 diabetic so I know what you mean. You really have to search to find foods that don't cause a spike. Like cambell's tomato soup sends me out of the ball park! Luckily I'm also a nurse educator so at least I have the background. But diabetes is an emotional roller coaster. Especially around the holiday's.

12. Tink

Type I is a bit more challenging than Type II, eh? :hug2: My niece is Type I and we are hopefully getting her on a pump soon.

I just try to keep uppermost in my mind that anything I ingest is "medicine." A simplistic approach, but one that works for me.

I am forever astonished though by people who continuously push things on me once I've politely declined, and then declined again with a short statement of not being able to physiologially (yes,PHYSIO :D ) handle the item. People still act as though I'm being stupid. I had one nurse give me a lecture on my "avoidance of carbs" because I declined a bagel. :rolleyes: Hello? Do you KNOW the nutritional aspect of those products? She then included in the lecture how she can eat anything and so on.

I'm not being an idiot. I know what I can eat (well, am still always learning) and try to be very careful about it. I have to be if I want to continue to avoid medication.

Eeesh! Sorry. Didn't meant to get on and on about it.

However, if you have any advice for responding to those sorts of pushy comments, I'll gladly accept it!

13. Tinkfan

Tinkfan Earning my ears

:wave: People still don't understand what spikes some people doesn't spike others( case in point Cambells soup) Now there is no reason that most diabetics couldn't eat 3/4 of a cup of it but me I,m 420 after I eat it! Do you have a glucometer? That truly is the best way to track what works for you. I can't use a pump because I'm allergic to the adhesive but I inject like a pump if you know what I mean! i get the same thing even from family. " your so thin you can have a small piece!!!" Well I do but I have to rainbow all the insulin and frankly for a stale old brownie, it's not worth it LOL!!

14. Tink

Oh yes. I have a glucometer. Wouldn't be ablet to track otherwise. :yes:

Same here. You've lost so much, one slice/bite/piece isn't going to set you back. Uhhhh, it's not all about the weight loss! It's the blood glucose control I'm after! :sigh:

I so know what you mean! "Is it worth it..." is my motto. :D Are the calories worth it? Is the spike going to be worth it? The answer is usually no.

420 after a serving of Campbell's soup would so turn me off. :sigh:

So! Back to the avoidance of pasta! :D It's the same thing. Doesn't bother some, but for a whole lot of reasons, it's not something I can have without serious consequences. :shrug:

15. paulgraham

paulgraham Earning my ears

Ahhh any kind of baked macaroni I'll take, processed cheese or not! Haha...