1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Mac Help 101 - the big conversion Keith Tom etc please help

Discussion in 'Gadgets and Gizmos' started by Skywatcher, Nov 28, 2009.

1. Skywatcher

Skywatcher Chief Astronomer

OK got the iMac linked to my old fashioned server at wanadoo but I can't seem to import the address book into contacts - please tell me I don't have to retype all my email address' I have it saved as a csv and a wab file. tried the apple ab application but it made no sense and it was only free for first run

:mental: any ideas??

Not been using the mac for e-mail up till now - only web based mail

2. josh.p.

josh.p. Addicted to Mickey

Can you not export them as Vcards?

3. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

I would've thought it's as simple as export them to a .csv file then call up addressbook, do file - import choose your file and hope

4. catrancher

catrancher Assistant Cruise Director Forum Host

Okay, let's try this. First of all, this is a direct copy from the Address Book help file. Any Apple application will have help available that's specific to it. When you're in Address Book, choose Help off the menu bar. Then in the search box in the upper right hand corner of the Help window, type "import". One of the results that come up will be "importing contacts from other applications". The following is what it says:

Let me know if this doesn't work for you or you're still having a problem figuring it out.

Tom :)macwave:... no... you won't have to retype them)

5. Skywatcher

Skywatcher Chief Astronomer

Thanks chaps - the problem was when I was exporting the csv I wasn't including enough fields so contacts couldn't make any sense of the info so I went back and checked all the boxes when exporting. Some still didn't have Name etc in the fields as these had been automatically stuck into the outlook express address book when they sent me an email so about 20 or so I had to change by hand and type in their details; as far as I could tell there was no way of exporting v cards from OE.

Will be back with more questions as they arise

Oh and face recognition in iPhoto is awesome