1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Question Magic band question

Discussion in 'General' started by Oreo, Jan 25, 2014.

1. Oreo

Oreo Addicted to Mickey

Ok so I guess we will be having the magic bands. Everyone has selected their colour already, 8months out!

Anyway on our last trip both Jess and I were asked for ID to purchase drinks with our meal. All we had was our room card and we were told this wasn't good enough and they wanted to see a passport.

My question really is with these new bands will they act as ID when purchasing drinks with a meal?

The reason I ask is I don't fancy carrying four passports around as way of ID and it seems to defeat the object of having all that information in one place.

Any ideas how it works?

2. Britchick

Britchick Serious Forum Regular

do you have a photo driving licence? that has always worked for us in the past :)

3. Oreo

Oreo Addicted to Mickey

I do and had trouble last time as it was a uk driving licence and not USA so they wouldn't accept it. They would only accept passport, that was in planet Hollywood at downtown disney.

Also carrying photo I'd surely defeats the object of having the band in the first place?

It's a shame they're not able to check your age via the band and finger prints rather than insisting on photographic ID.

4. Beccaberry

Beccaberry She's beccalicious! Forum Host

Welcome back, Oreo! You've been missed!

Unfortunately, even with the bands you can (and may) be asked for proof of age when purchasing alcoholic beverages. When we were there in September for my son's 21st birthday, he was asked quite often. I agree it's a shame they haven't sorted out a better way to do this, but I suppose they are t quite ready to out the biometric scans into the restaurants and such just yet.

5. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

I'm 65 years old and their are places near me that require a photo ID from everyone to buy alcohol. Disney isn't quite this strict but they still reserve that right.
    Technically they are required to accept any valid photo ID with a birth date. But they can request multiple ID'S.

6. Vikki

Vikki Serious Forum Regular

We've never had a problem using our UK driving licences for ID.
    I tell a lie, I did, once. I went when I was 21, but my birthday is January 11th. Because its written 11.1.80 they wouldn't accept it as the didn't understand we write the dates the other way around. However, Anthony has his and his birthday is 24.5.79, so he showed his to prove our dates are written the other way round :-D this was at an off site restaurant.

Beccaberry likes this.
  7. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

This is another of those icky subjects. The rumour/fact/overheard conversation is that late 2013 Disney instituted a new policy that came out of the discussions around different countries having different style driving licenses so how can a CM know if its a valid government cert and what the date format is and so on.

So rumour has it that Disney has given instructions that only a passport is acceptable.

Now as ever, some places dont ask at all, some places will take anything and some are now demanding passports :(

8. Britchick

Britchick Serious Forum Regular

but passports look different... how would they know if it was a fake or not. Someone needs to take a chill pill I think :lol:

9. Vikki

There is no way I'm going to carry a passport round. You'd think with all the money they've spent on magic bands, there could be some way of putting a thing to say if you're over 21.

10. Beccaberry

True, but then they'd also have to add the biometric scan to everything to ensure you've not just slipped on someone else's band.

When we had Baleigh's passport made last year, we were also able to pay an extra fee ($60 I think?) to have a passport "card" made. The card has all the same info as her passport and is valid in Mexico, the Caribbean and Canada. I wonder if there is something like that in the UK that would be accepted? It would certainly be easier to carry around than your passport.

11. Vikki

To be honest, if I got asked for ID I'd be flattered! Here in the UK it's very rare to ever be asked. I won't be carrying round ID though. I just don't want to carry things round. If I get asked for ID I'll just not have the drink :-D

Beccaberry likes this.
  12. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

Vikki, isn't the legal drinking age in the UK 18?

13. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

it is yep and there are constant compaigns to tell retailers/bars/clubs to challenge anyone who "looks" younger than 25 to make sure that they're actually over 18.

Some places take that more seriously than others but as Vikki says, unlike in the states where a place will ID anyone no matter if they're very obviously over legal age, in the UK that doesn't happen.

14. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

There are very serious fines and the establishment could lose their liquor license if found selling to people under 21. I am 42 and am always asked for id when buying alcohol.

Here it is supposed to be if you look under 40. If it were me selling it to you, I would id everyone. Absolutely everyone.

As for the magic band, I don't know that they could have the id on the band. I mean I suppose they could but what if you let someone borrow it? My AP is attached to my band but I still had to show my AP AND my id when trying to get my discount.

15. Beccaberry

Yeah, truth be told, I've been asked for my ID more times when using my AP or TIW card than I have been when simply buying a drink.

Johnie likes this.
  16. Vikki

Yes, I was referring to being asked when in America :)