1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

magic kingdom in a few hours..

Discussion in 'Walt Disney World' started by susanm, Apr 15, 2013.

1. susanm

susanm Imagineer

My aunt, cousin and cousins 4 kids came back from fla complaining they had a lousy time :bugeye:

first they got to the MK at 10am and by 3pm saw everything and left :bugeye: i cant do it in 3 days..

then they went to Universal ... and they got ripped off...seems that Universal would not honor their 4 day disney pass :toetap:

then sea world wouldnt honor it either....they got ripped off :rotfl:

for 2 adults and 4 kids that flew down...i cant imagine the money they wasted since they obviously didnt do any research at all :nono:

and you would think, since i have 25 trips under my belt they might have asked a question or two.... oh well, their loss

2. Britchick

Britchick Cast Member

Well they probably won't go again so that's one less family to line up after!:lol:

3. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

I keep getting this from people I know!

They come and tell me they're going to Disney but they don't want me to interfere (well I can understand that, I can get a bit over enthusiastic and possessive of plans :lol: )

Then they go, make a mess of it, come back and tell me how awful it all was :shrug1:

The last one told me they were going to get a counter service dining plan and budgeted ZERO for food/drink because they had it. I told them that was a bad idea and of course they got back and told me how awful it was. Not enough food, small sizes for a "main meal" etc. sigh.

I get told how bad the crowds are *all the time*.. impossible to enjoy apparently

Thing is how accusatory some people are! It's as if I made them go and I made Disney awful whereas the reality is they booked everything without asking me (or anyone else) and then moaned when they come back.

4. Suebeattie

Suebeattie Addicted to Mickey

My friend has just got back and really enjoyed herself, she was always asking questions but I fear I may have got a bit too enthusiastic at points lol.
    It is frustrating when people either don't ask or ask and dont listen :mad:

:wiggle:

5. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

I keep saying to people, if you go at a busy time you will NOT get a table at a restaurant in any of the parks unless you've prebooked and they laugh. I say No, SERIOUSLY.... then they come back and tell me how they couldn't get any nice sit down meals.

Now more than ever, Disney needs planning :yes:

6. Suebeattie

I don't understand why people really wouldnt research and plan - it can cost quite a bit of money after buying all the tickets etc so why wouldn't you want to make sure youd get your moneys worth.

7. Deafjeff

Deafjeff Serious Forum Regular

I don't understand this either! I like to do lots of research even though I have been going 5/6 times!

I get quite gobsmacked when people declare that they do not feel the need to do any research and they just 'go with the flow' mmmhhh(!)

8. susanm

susanm Imagineer

i still keep up on everything... i get the birnbaum guide to WDW every year and read it cover to cover...several times...so i dont miss anything

my first trip i went and picked the brain of anyone who had ever been to disney...best rides, best places to eat....MUST DO's etc

try to encourage...some girls from work just came back...2 regulars 1 newbie and 1 who hasnt been to wdw since 1980.. told them PLEASE DO NOT MISS FANTASMIC you will love it.... the old timers didnt want to go so they missed it... :shrug1: whenever i go (several times) with someone who has never been, or its been a while, i try to get as much in as possible.... i hate it (again on my last trip) to get home and make a list of what i have missed

9. Mags

Mags Serious Forum Regular

Oh dear oh dear Susan. I had to laugh, but please forgive me. You see, I am that person who does MK in a few hours too, but that is because I do not enjoy the park very much. I have been lots of times, so I know what there is there. It is just that I am very selective now and choose what we want to do well in advance. However, I can't see how the first time visitor having done their research (which they obviously hadn't) would be out of MK in such a short time.
    Trying to get in to US and Seaworld on Disney tickets had me in stitches though. :rotfl:
    I always tell friends that if they are going to WDW, it is one holiday they must plan and plan well.
    Two years ago a friend was going in August and was on the DDP. I offered to come over to see him and show him menus, talk about my experiences, his tastes and try to come up with plans for his meals. He was still resisting planning ahead like this 6mths ahead of time, but when he came back he couldnt thank me enough. He told me he had met two families at the pool in his hotel who had the plan and didnt know about booking ahead. They ended up not being able to use their credits as they could barely get into one restaurant on site during August.
    Even on my first trip (without the internet) I was reading the guide books and listening to friends who had been so that I could plan my trip. I still cant understand those who just go and hope for the best.

Mags

10. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

We've got friends going this summer and I've told them they need to plan, plan and plan. It's not their first time so they know what to expect with crowds and are already working out what days to go where and what Fastpasses they are going to get when they get there :lol:

11. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

In some respects, it's a bit too bad that Disney does take so much planning. If you don't know what you are doing, you won't know what to do. That is so true, isn't it?

For those who refuse to ask, or listen, perhaps a well chosen guide book would be a good gift? I know when we first started going, I bought a couple and they were really helpful.

Heck, even knowing how to move around the parks is beneficial. There are members of Herself's Family (her Mother for one) who have been for so many years that they refuse to accept the changes. Her Mother CONSTANTLY complains that they couldn't find anywhere to eat, when visiting with out of town guests. We've told her zillions of times that Disney has changed and you really need an ADR for park restaurants... but nope, she won't do it.

I tend to go overboard and dominate any Disney conversation, so I've learned to keep my mouth shut now. It's not quite the same here though, as most people don't go to stay over, as they are local. There are a few Disney freaks at work, like me and we tend to talk amongst ourselves.

It's a pricey vacation, so I don't know why someone wouldn't want to be well prepared. I do with any vacation I go on. I'm researching the area, the options, the restaurants, the recommended places to visit... all of it.

All we can do is help where the help is wanted.

12. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

Sometimes you just need to let people live and learn. WDW can be a very expensive lesson :-(

13. susanm

susanm Imagineer

i get your point...there are days when it got too hot or annoying crowds i would leave and come back another time. but this cousin had 4 kids, all under 12 who had never been there before. neither had the mother or grandmother...they didnt even know what was there.
    when i asked - did you do - the haunted mansion? small world? peter pan? splash mtn? no we didnt see them
    maybe they werent in the MK :shrug1:

14. Suebeattie

Maybe they got as far as the castle and turned back :unsure:

15. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

Some people just can't be helped :shrug:

16. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

I have to admit that I miss the "good ole days". I do feel sorry for those who invest a lot of money to include buying the the dining plan but then don't realize that they also need to book restaurants 180 days out. I really do think that WDW should keep a few tables set aside for walk-ups. I realize they want to keep all of their tables full all of the time but it really isn't fair to those who are at WDW for the very first time and who haven't discovered websites like this or don't have friends that are very knowledgeable.

17. Mags

Mags Serious Forum Regular

I know. I do understand. At least we have been umpteen times, know our preferences and choose not to stay there long. But to visit MK for such a short time with all those young kids and not do the best rides in the park? Obviously they hadn't done their homework on anything!

Mags

18. Kate

Kate Serious Forum Regular

Ive had this a couple of times - people have decided to go to florida and have asked me loads of questions, to which i reply honestly. They go, ignore everything i said and then come back and moan about it! I dont claim to be an expert but then if you dont really want my opinion on things then why ask me?!

19. Shellyamc

Shellyamc Serious Forum Regular

I am in the camp of keeping my mouth shut :yes: I am the first to admit that I know next to nothing compared to most of you, but I can put a pretty nice Disney trip together (with Johnie's help!!). I do have a few friends who have asked questions and I give them some info I think would be useful, but other than that I keep quiet. Dh's boss is Disney crazy, but not in the best way if that makes sense? He is VERY overbearing about it, and doesn't understand when you do something that isn't the way he does it. He also spends most of his time making sure he does everything just a little bit better than everyone else. He actually has come up with the idea to charge people to sit down with him for help with Disney trips??????? :shrug1: I think he is out of his mind! So after that rant I guess the point would be that I never want to be someone like him, so I go the opposite way and don't say much at all.

20. Missus T

Missus T Imagineer

Wow, that is crazy! I love to share my Disney knowledge and experiences to anyone who will listen but I definitely make it a point not to be overbearing about it. Because I want the person I'm talking with to get as excited about Disney as I am and to come back having had an even better time, even if it's only partly because of what I was able to share with them. And I also get the guide books every time and spend countless hours on Secrets to learn any new information. And every time I find something new that ends up making my trip that much more special. I always try to impress upon people that Disney is so much more than a theme park but you have to understand that and treat it accordingly. And I really think that makes a huge difference.