1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Mah pretrip report :)

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by BigThunder, Oct 20, 2008.

1. BigThunder

BigThunder a cool thingy

I've never done one of these but I think it might be fun or help with the build up or something.

Ok, well we will be off on vacation #17 to WDW on January 10th of 2009. This will be our second time going during January but I was so sick the first time I really can't remember much about it, lol. Someone asked me the other day about weather & I honestly have no idea what it was like! Anyway, so now I'm excited to see if we like this time of year enough to keep returning in Jan.

We are staying at Saratoga Springs Resort in a 1BR unit. I requested a DTD view but I'm not holding my breath. Originally I wanted The Boardwalk as I have every years since 2002 (when we joined DVC) and yet again it was all booked up because I wait too long to actually do my booking. I'm glad we got SSR though, we've done it once before & we really liked it. A lot! Mental note: try to research building we were in last time & request it again.

I've made dining ressies for a lot of old stand-bys we've done a millions times such as Chef Mickey's, Sci Fi, Whispering Canyon, Rainforest Cafe'. Decided to try some new ones as well such as Mama Melroses, Le Cellier & Rose & Crown (I think that's the name of the restaurant in UK & not the counter service place). Any opinons on those 3 places would be appreciated :)

I've got planned 2 days at MK, 2 days at Epcot, 1 day at MGM & 1 day at AK. That leaves us the one day off to have a swimming/shopping day as I MUST hit the outlets while there. Or if we need we can use it to go back to one of the parks if we missed something.

I think I'm going to call & schedule the cart ride at Port Orleans today. For $35 that sounds fun. Mentioned it to my 15 year old tho & she didn't want to. She still remembers the Xmas ride we did at WL & how not fun it was. I think I'm gonna do it anyway tho, lol.

Well, that's about it. I don't have a million things planned to tell everyone about. Where we've been so much we just kind of have it down now & really just go at a nice pace & don't try to cram too much in.

I'm up for any suggestions though of something fun to do that perhaps i've never thought of or heard of!

2. Dawn

Dawn carpe diem-ing Forum Host

Why was the WL sleigh ride not fun? :unsure:

3. BigThunder

BigThunder a cool thingy

Eh, idk. I think we were expecting scenic & it was very dark at the time we went. And they took us down the main road & there was a car behind us with lights blinding us for what seemed like eternity of the ride & then we turned off this path & it was pitch dark, lol. We couldnt' see a thing. So it was one extreme or the other. The path would have probably been nice had it been dusk & you still could see. The only pleasant thing i recall are the bells on the horses jingling. Made it seem Xmasy.

4. Dawn

Dawn carpe diem-ing Forum Host

Ooh a sleigh ride in pitch black? What was the point of that. :lol:

5. BigThunder

BigThunder a cool thingy

combo of blinding headlights/pitch black. yeah, i expected a path with maybe some trees decorated or something, idk. I wouldnt' do it again unless i heard they had changed it or something.

6. Jodie

Jodie Addicted to Mickey

Tut Tut ~ They don't let you in if you say MGM :gy:

7. mgmrach

mgmrach Imagineer

great report :) although we were going to do the wl ride and Im not so sure now

8. SleepinCatz

SleepinCatz Fluffeh Disney Fan

Ya'll are gonna have a blast hun :)

9. Beccaberry

Beccaberry She's beccalicious! Forum Host

Excellent!!! Well done you!!!

We're just back from our recent trip and I'm jonesing for some planning fun :D

10. Johnie

Johnie Budget Queen Forum Host

ok new restaurant choices....RFC is always fun. Love the atmosphere. The portions are big. Some items are much better than others. Sci Fi is fun as well but stick to burgers and milkshakes. We LOVE Whispering Canyon. Lots and lots of fun. Chef Mickey's is a character meal....nuff said :p

11. BigThunder

BigThunder a cool thingy

Haha, thanks johnie but you critiqued the ones i've already done :p Now tell me all about Mama Melroses, Le Cellier & Rose & Crown ;)

It's so hard for us to venture away from our 'stand-bys' that we always do. I had to force the gang to give up Biergarten & Cape May so we could try a few new ones & they are NOT happy about it, lol.

12. Johnie

:p I can do that too!

Mama Melrose is good. We've been several times and had no complaints. The portions are pretty large so Alysia and I tend to share. Sometimes they have bread, sometimes they don't. It's changed a few times. We went a few weeks ago and bread was served.

Le Cellier is very good. I LOVE their cheese soup and pretzel bread. The filet is also very good and very tender. The chocolate moose is a cute dessert too.

I really liked Rose and Crown when we went a couple of years ago. But then they changed the menu on me. I like the cheese plate for an appetizer though.

13. BigThunder

BigThunder a cool thingy

Thanks Johnie, I knew you would come through!!

Large servings. I can definitely be down with that! I really think I'm going to like MM's, I 've got another thread going on it because I'd heard bad reviews from other non-board people I know but so far I've heard all positive here.
    Cheese soup & pretzel bread is not anything I've ever had but it sounds amazing. I may have to try to remember this choice!
    I figure if nothing else, i can get the fish 'n chips at R&C & I know I'll like it. Should I request a table outside ya think? Is it really pretty in that area?

14. Johnie

It is pretty on the patio. If it is chilly out, they enclose it. People frequently request the patio because of the awesome view of Illuminations.

15. mumof2

mumof2 Serious Forum Regular

sounds like you're gonna have a fun time! :yes:

16. BigThunder

BigThunder a cool thingy

I sure hope we do! I need to be getting out & doing some walking to get myself in some shape. Even tho the last trip we took in July was 9 months post op, unlike the Jan. trip, I was still so out of shape from basically leading such a couch potato life since the surgery. I went out yesterday & bought some new walking shoes so the ball is rolling, lol.

I guess i've officially been completely nixed on the horse & cart ride idea. Oldest has NO interest, youngest thinks it's mean to the horses & husband doesn't want to have to mess with getting to another resort just for that. So there ya go!

Wish I could come up with some other fun stuff to try tho.

17. Beccaberry

I know it's at another resort, but have you tried/thought of trying going over to POR to see Piano Bob?

Also...regarding Le Cellier....the food there is fantastic...the cheese soup that Johnie spoke of is one of my favorite things :D And as far as the pretzel bread...you won't even have to remember to request it...they will bring it right to your table, along with an assortment of other breadsticks!

18. mumof2

mumof2 Serious Forum Regular

that cheese soup and pretzel sounds yum!! :D

19. BigThunder

BigThunder a cool thingy

Ya know, I can remember this guy/show from way back in the day when it was Dixie Landings & we first stayed there. Would kids ages 10 & 15 enjoy this as well ya think? See now! If we did this then we could do my cart ride too being they are at the same place! hehehe, i haven't given up on that yet. Maybe I'll just go alone. ....Wait, that would look pretty sad & pathetic cruising around in the horse drawn cart ALONE!

20. Beccaberry

If I was there, I'd go with ya hon!

I think the kids would enjoy it...I know my lot did (10 and 16)....he really gets them involved in the entertainment...I know it's a "bar" but it doesn't really have the "bar" feel....I felt quite comfortable having my kids there....