1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

McD's - DD

Discussion in 'Walt Disney World News & Rumors' started by gwennie81, Feb 4, 2010.

1. gwennie81

gwennie81 Earning my ears

I just saw a headline that the McDonald's at Downtown Disney is closing. I haven't read why yet. If I do, I'll post later.
  2. gwennie81

McDonald's will close April 30th.

It will be replaced by Pollo Campero, a Latin chicken fast-food chain.

Representatives for Disney World and McDonald’s said the exit stems from a 2004 decision to end a 10-year exclusive sponsorship agreement between McDonald’s Corp. and Walt Disney Co. The Downtown Disney restaurant was included in that agreement.

McDonald’s said all of its employees at the Downtown Disney were offered transfers to other McDonald’s locations and that no one would lose their job as a result of the closure.

McDonald’s will continue to operate its restaurant near the entrance to the Disney’s Animal Kingdom theme park.
  3. gwennie81

The restaurant, which is scheduled to open in late 2010, will feature Pollo Campero’s signature Latin cusine, as well as fresh, and healthful foods. Menu items will include Latin chicken, yuca fries, sweet plantains, and Latin drinks including horchata and tamarindo.

I've eaten at a "Pollo Loco" before. This sounds similar. Pollo Loco was delicious. Generous portions and really good "authentic"-tasting Latin cuisine. I hope Pollo Campero is just as good. I think it's great that Disney is stretching to offer something besides "American" fare. But...who knows? Maybe Pollo Campero is owned by McDonald's? *shrug*
  4. Britchick

Britchick Serious Forum Regular

Sounds good, you can go to mcd anywhere
  5. Lisa1976

Lisa1976 Imagineer

Nooooooooooo, i will be sorry to see that MacDonalds go. Its very handy for a quick cheapy snack at Downtown Disney. Personally I don't think its needs another restaurant. Just my opinion :)
  6. Slowhand

Slowhand Cruise Director Forum Host

That`s no great loss IMHO.
  7. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

Yes, I remember when this was first decided a few years back. One of the first McD's to go was the little kiosk in the WS near Canada.

I'm not a McD's fan at all, so was happy to hear they were leaving the majority of WDW places.

I remember the uproar when the little kiosk near Canada switched from its original offerings TO McD's! :eek:
  8. eeyoreguy

eeyoreguy Earning my ears

McDonald's at Downtown Disney closing

McDonald's will be closing its Downtown Disney location at the Walt Disney World resort in late April. Later this year, it will be replaced by Pollo Campero, said to be the world's largest Latin chicken restaurant chain. Pollo Campero is known for its Latin chicken, which is prepared fresh every day. According to the restaurant's website, the chicken is marinated to lock in the Campero flavor. Fried chicken is hand-breaded in seasoned flour and slowly pressure-cooked without trans-fats, resulting in a flavorful and juicy meal. Grilled chicken features the taste of lime and orange juices, red bell peppers, and a special blend of Latin herbs and spices.

The Dallas-based restaurant will also introduce a new fresh concept, featuring nutritious salads, sandwiches and wraps. Traditional Latin dishes, such as fried plantains and yuca fries, will be served on the side. A benefit to the fresh concept will be the offering of vegetarian, gluten-free, sugar-free, low-sodium and organic dishes.
  9. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

Re: McDonald's at Downtown Disney closing

We have one of these right around the corner from work. Going to have to give it a try. Bet the prices will be higher at DTD.
  10. Beccaberry

Beccaberry She's beccalicious! Forum Host

Re: McDonald's at Downtown Disney closing

Sounds good! I'm always up for a nice salad!!
  11. Slowhand

Slowhand Cruise Director Forum Host

Two threads on the same topic have deen merged.
  12. DisneyFreak

DisneyFreak Serious Forum Regular

I go to Disney to get away from the usual/everyday world. I will not miss McD at WDW.
  13. foreverducky

foreverducky Addicted to Mickey

I don't eat fast food anymore, so it definitely wont be missed by me and I'm with DF, I don't go to WDW for the regular food.
  14. Claire

Claire She lost the crayons!

This could make life a little more difficult for us when at DTD. I know when people go away it's for a break from the norm but for Owen and Maisie anything that isn't the norm just won't do. I remember the relief I felt when I discovered McDonalds Fries and nuggets near Canada at the World Showcase. It was already early evening and they had refused to even sniff anything we'd tried to give them. When we saw the familiar red boxes filled with chips I could have cried! It meant being able to stay in the park longer and no lengthy detour back to the villa looking for those familiar golden arches.
  15. Dawn

Dawn carpe diem-ing Forum Host

Well it's called MuckDonalds in our house so one less is good for us. :wavehands:

Not good for others though I guess. But there's still just outside the All Stars right? :unsure:
  16. Claire

Claire She lost the crayons!

In a way I feel similar. When home we avoid it as much as we can but when we're away the children recognise it as familiar and feel safe with it I think.
  17. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

Normally the only thing we really crave at McD's is their breakfast. However, every once in a while we get fried chicken strips for lunch.