1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

MCO vs Sanford

Discussion in 'Transportation & Travel' started by Dawn, Aug 6, 2008.

1. Dawn

Dawn carpe diem-ing Forum Host

I've always flown into MCO. Nice airy airport, scary immigration officers, bit of a trek from plane to rental car but a pleasant enough walk, even after 9 hours on a plane.

But any advantage of flying into Sanford. I know it's a bit further out but what other pros and cons?

Also - I've noticed BA fly direct to Tampa. What driving time to Disney are we looking at because if the price is right that option may be worth considering too.

2. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

no idea about Tampa and driving time because you know me, I'm lucky to find my way from my door to the car :lol: other than Busch gardens is in tampa I think and that took hours on the bus.

Sanford...
    pros:
    Smaller airport to navigate around
    less security stuff to get through or rather, the same but sorta less intense
    no having to get the train thing to the main part
    no having to collect bags twice

cons:
    further from disney than mco (about an hour and a bit rather than 30/40mins)
    no Disney magical express

3. ukwdwnut

ukwdwnut Director of Recruitment Forum Host

i must admit i prefer sanford, much quicker to get out of but the trade off is the hours journey back to orlando, so may be just as well flying into mco

sanford remember only has chartered flights

4. Dawn

Dawn carpe diem-ing Forum Host

I'm keeping my options open on airlines at the moment. We'll probably end up at MCO again but it's what we know. But if we get an offer we can't refuse on Tampa flights we'll have to seriously consider it.

Is there a Starbucks at Sanford? :D

5. Tink

Tink Cead Mille Failte! Staff Member Administrator

Tampa is about an hour (solid) from the greater Orlando area. Disney being closer than Orlando, of course. It's a straight forward drive, but they've changed the laws on I-4 in the section that runs from Tampa nearly to Orlando. The semis are only allowed in the right two lanes. That means there is no "speed limit" lane for people who do not want to drive like lunatics. You'll either be racing along in the right two lanes with huge trucks cutting in and out of traffice, or speeding along at breakneck speed in the left lane. :eek:

It was quite a lively drive last time I went to Tampa. I came home another route. :D

I've flown out of Sandford and it's really a nice little airport. The 417 is an easy ride to WDW area, with the exception of morning and evening rush hour. There are areas that get bumper to bumper. However, you get that anywhere in Orlando.

Herself used to fly into Tampa all the time when the rates were better to do so. (To visit parents before we moved down here).

6. Ursula

Ursula Cast Member

:lol:Plus they only photograph your fingers..... (Mick will know what I'm talking about on this one ;) )

7. Ursula

Ursula Cast Member

Sanford has the Palm Lounge on the way back and that is good for the kids... by kids I also include husbands in that. I have flown into both and much prefer Sanford but I do know others prefer the MCO.

8. ukwdwnut

ukwdwnut Director of Recruitment Forum Host

:eek: helly, what are you referring to :lol:

9. cathydisneynut

cathydisneynut Imagineer

We are going back to Sanford again this holiday. I would much rather have flown to McCoy but I wanted a direct flight without paying Virgin's and Continental's exorbitant rates from Glasgow!

10. Slowhand

Slowhand Cruise Director Forum Host

One thing I particularly like about MCO is that you get a sample of the "Disney feel" almost as soon as you arrive as you pass by the shops on the way to the baggage claim area.
    My DW and I spent a night at the Hyatt at MCO as we were going on the cruise the next day using the DCL Transportation from the airport and it is a really nice airport to stroll around at leisure instead of the usual rush you are in when just flying in and out of the place.