1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Mexico All-Inclusive Suggestions

Discussion in 'Non Disney Trips and Travels' started by tdclark7125, Feb 19, 2009.

1. tdclark7125

tdclark7125 Earning my ears

We're thinking about taking a family vacation to Mexico next year and wanted to try an all-inclusive resort. Any suggestions, tips, etc? We've never stayed at all inclusive, we've also used a time-share.

We really want a nice beach to play on. Kids are 5 & 9.
  2. foreverducky

foreverducky Addicted to Mickey

Oh this sounds nice. I would also love to hear anything anyone has to share on this topic. :)
  3. Ursula

Ursula Cast Member

I went to Mexico last September/October. Some tips... If you want to you can take USDollars instead of Mexican Pesos absolutely everyone and everywhere takes them, especially the Cancun area. Also what you don't spend you can put towards future Disney trips for spends. IF you can afford it get a hotel in Cancun for the going out and beaches. We didn't we had a hotel in between Cancun and Playa Del Carmen and that was a very nice beach but maybe a bit too strong for small swimmers, however the Hotel we stayed at had excellent kiddies facilities and pool. (Ocean Coral and Turquesa) (Tripadvisor all Mexican Hotels) Obviously the nearer to Cancun you are the more you will pay for accommodation. They have shopping malls in Cancun (and Playa Del Carmen) and a Rainforest Cafe which I recommend :D
  4. Mari

Mari Serious Forum Regular

Where in Mexico are you going?

Is it only adults, or will kids be going too?
  5. tdclark7125

Our kids would be going ages 5 & 9, and we're thinking about Cancun, Playa del Carmen.
  6. Mari

There are several resorts in that are.

3 major places

Cancun - largest, best developed, has lots of shopping malls, restaurants, bars, etc...

Playa del Carmen - right now EVERYBODY who's ANYBODY goes there... but apart from the main street ( quinta avenida) and a few shops here and there, there isnt much to see

Riviera Maya - if you stay in a hotel there, basically they are built so you will never have to leave, and therefore, there will be nothing out of the resort to do (shopping, dining, etc...)

There are many places around the area to visit.

Mayan Ruins ... the largest are Chichén Itza and Tulum
    Water/Eco Parks.... Xel-Há, Xcaret
    Regular water Parks... I think its Wet n Wild

and many other stuff to do, places to visit, etc...

So I think picking a hotel depends on what kind of trip you want....

do you want to visit anything outside the resort? have dining options within walking distance? be able to rent a car or take tours, etc....

So....

Cancun is the best place in case you dont want to spend 100% of your time in your hotel... Riviera Maya is the best if thats what you want to do, with Playa del Carmen being a middle ground...

All three have all inclusive resorts...and depending on the season you can get great rates.

As has been said, US dollars are widely accepted in that area. :)
  7. tdclark7125

Thanks Mari!!! We definitely want to get out and see some things, and also enjoy some time at the resort, so it sounds like Cancun may be the best fit for us.

Are there any All Inclusive Resorts you recommend? We'd like a variety of food options, within the resort. Then we would like to do a few excursions - XCaret, possibly Tulum or XelHa.
  8. Ursula

Ursula Cast Member

Honestly it is wall to wall hotels in Cancun... Such a huge choice I really recommend you look up some options on Tripadvisor and read the forums for some pics and reviews. Depends on how casual or how formal you want your break to be to pick a suitable hotel for you. In Cancun there are two options... the lagoon side or the ocean side... the ocean side has the turquoise waters you may be looking for. Make sure the hotel states what side they are on.
  9. Mari

yeap! what Miss De Ville said :)

Some tips

*Check the map, for example, Club Med is an excellent all inclusive resort, but although its in Cancun, its is very far away from everything....

*Most all inclusive face the ocean.... some have lagoon facing rooms, which are cheaper, but the resort must state that it has a BEACH

*From May-September is hurricane season... so, the rates should be lower, but its riskier to go... still, most days are sunny, and Cancun hasnt been hit by too many hurricanes .. maybe 3 in the last 10 years....