Minnie’s Fly Girls Charter Airline opens at Disney California

Discussion in 'Disneyland Resort News & Rumors' started by Wendy, Feb 18, 2012.

1. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou Makuakane Staff Member Administrator

“Minnie’s Fly Girls Charter Airlineâ€￾ has opened for business today at Disney California Adventure park. This tune-filled “travelogueâ€￾ of song, dance and audience interaction takes place in Condor Flats, across from Soarin’ Over California, featuring songs from the ‘40s, ‘50s and ‘60s in a colorful new show sure to appeal to the young and young at heart.

Creating something to delight multiple generations was a central focus during production and a personal passion of the creative team. Senior Writer Carolyn Gardner said, “I’ve been surrounded by pilots ever since I can remember. My dad was a private pilot [and] flight instructor, my mom flew her own ‘solo’ flight, my big brother worked at our local airfield and my cousin’s an air traffic controller. I hope audiences feel their own hearts take wing when the show’s flight crew launches into the fun-filled, flight-themed songs.â€￾
    “Come Fly with Me,â€￾ originally performed by Frank Sinatra, introduces the crew – Amanda, Pat, Kate and Lee – to all their potential “passengersâ€￾ (the audience). Minnie makes her grand entrance during “Straighten up and Fly Right,â€￾ a hit song by Nat King Cole. The performance also includes two medleys, incorporating a number of other musical favorites. “Destination Medleyâ€￾ is a fun, ‘round-the-world collection of standards such as “Brazil,â€￾ “I Love Parisâ€￾ and “Lady of Spain.â€￾ The Disney “Flying Medleyâ€￾ is an uplifting blend of Disney tunes, including “Let’s Go Fly a Kiteâ€￾ and “When I See an Elephant Fly.â€￾
    Art Director Brian Sandahl’s challenge was to design a stage that doesn’t look like a stage. “When the show is not being performed, the stage fits nicely into the aged look of Condor Flats, and you’d almost not even notice it,â€￾ says Brian. “The décor for the stage looks very industrial, very much like found objects you would see in Condor Flats; however, when the show begins, a common flight sign becomes the ‘show sign,’ a steel drum magically becomes a check in counter and an old trunk becomes a prop trunk for the many props in this show.â€￾

The music, costumes and props send this latest addition to Disney California Adventure park soaring to new heights. You’ll definitely want to “book a flightâ€￾ with “Minnie’s Fly Girls Charter Airlineâ€￾ on your next visit!

Attached Files: