1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

Mobile Security for Android

Discussion in 'Gadgets and Gizmos' started by Wendy, Jan 8, 2012.

1. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou makuakane Staff Member Administrator

Chris has got the new Samsung Galaxy S2 (which he loves so much he doesn't think he's going to swap to the iphone when the new one comes out ) - you've created a monster Keith :lol:

Anyway he wants an security program for it, we use Kaspersky at home but their mobile version doesn't seem to get good reviews. Does anyone know of a good one he can buy?
  2. josh.p.

josh.p. Addicted to Mickey

I know Norton do one that is meant to be pretty good for Android tablets. Can't believe I'm saying that as I usually absolutely hate Norton, however after Mum & Dad installed it on their laptops and that version is pretty good and doesn't do any of the rubbish the old Norton did. I haven't used the android one, though.
  3. keith

keith Camera nut Staff Member Administrator Forum Host

I must admit I dont know the answer to this one ;( I tend to think a lot of AV products for phones are just jumping on a bandwagon and dont really do a lot HOWEVER on android, I suspect with the openess, there will be more malware if you install a lot of stuff.
  4. josh.p.

josh.p. Addicted to Mickey

Although it's fairly open, from what I understand a lot of Android is still sandboxed, and most of the apps you install ask you for certain permissions. Is this correct? (I have never used Android to much extent!)
  5. keith

They DO ask you for permissions but the sad truth is that although you look for the first few times, after a while you just say yes ok install even if they ask for permissions you should really wonder about.

It's one of those things... everything seems to say "can make phone calls" "Can access contacts" and so on

So you get used to just going yeah whatever....,
  6. Wendy

Ok so other than confusing me :lol: is it worth Chris getting one :unsure:

He's not one to download lots of apps, he wants some photo ones and a few others, but he is keeping his diary on there as well as some other things for work.
  7. keith

It's very hard to recommend NOT having good security because you know if you do that, the person will come back next week/month/year and say OI I lost everything!

So hmmm :/ I think the risk right now is small, but if you can reduce it further by a good security app then why not
  8. Wendy

Just to update, Chris chose Lookout in the end.
  9. foreverducky

foreverducky Addicted to Mickey

I have an Android phone and yes, after a while i just say yes. Funny, I could be signing away my future pension and not even realize it.

I'm glad he found something. :yes:
  10. Wendy

Thank you, he hardly speaks to me now when he is home, he used to be on his laptop, now he is on his phone all the time :lol:

If I ask something simple, the next thing I know is that he's looking it up on his phone :slap: :lol:

He keeps saying I should get one, but I only want a phone I can text and talk on :lol: he thinks I'm mad and keeps threatening to get people to nag me, they way I have about going on a cruise :lol: :lol: