1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome both old friends and new to the all new Walt Disney Secrets :-D Please take a moment to say hi

mom with kids and no car?

Discussion in 'Transportation & Travel' started by disneymom, Jan 15, 2012.

1. disneymom

disneymom Imagineer

Question, is it possible for a mom with kids to do Disney with no car?

I know we loved going to all the places near Disney last time but I don't fancy driving all on my own. I'd get lost :lol:

So if we stayed on Disney itself, is it doable?

thanx
  2. catrancher

catrancher Assistant Cruise Director Forum Host

If you're staying onsite? Absolutely! :thumbsup:

When my DW and I go, we always stay on site. Our car sits abandoned in the parking lot of the hotel we're staying at (usually Port Orleans Riverside) and we don't see it again for a week. While we're there, we use only the Disney transportation system (buses, boats, and monorails).

Personally, I wouldn't have it any other way. :yes:

Tom :)macwave:... leave it all behind for a week!)
  3. Kate

Kate Serious Forum Regular

We stay on international drive and never have a car, we have no problems getting to disney and back so im sure if you are on-site it would be super easy!
  4. Slowhand

Slowhand Cruise Director Forum Host

Yep, the Disney transportation system will be ideal for you to get around WDW if you are staying on-site.
    The only downside is that it may take a bit longer to get to your destination than if you had a car, but i don`t think that this would be a major issue in your case.
  5. Denise Marie

Denise Marie Earning my ears

Actually, I think it is the best way. One trip is was just my daughter and myself and I debated the same thing. But Disney transportation got us everywhere we wanted to be and when we wanted to be there. I also had the peace of mind that I wouldn't have to worry about being on the roads alone. Even here at home, I opt for public transportation...lol Hey if it breaks down, another one will be coming in 15 minutes and I don't have to call a tow truck....lol
  6. Britchick

Britchick Serious Forum Regular

I'm going in december with my teenage daughter and we're not hiring a car and just staying at disney.
  7. uscwest

uscwest Senior Cast Member

With just you and the kids Disney transport should work well for you. You probably won't be going all over the place to the resorts to eat like my wife and I do which is very tough to do using Disney transport.
  8. josh.p.

josh.p. Addicted to Mickey

The Disney buses really are great and very reliable, too :yes:
  9. Watchinherskip

Watchinherskip Better known as "That Guy"

Yes, to all that has been said. When on site you can rely on Dtrans for getting just about anywhere. The only time we needed transportation was once going to play golf on one of the course. We were staying at Boardwalk.

I think that if you were on site at either PO or in the Boardwalk area and had hopper passes you could put together other options. For example when we stayed at BW and wanted to go to MK, we walked into Epcot, to the monorails and took the monorails to TTC and then got the other monorail to MK. Sounds kind of difficult rereading this but it was really easy.:tongue:
  10. Mari

Mari Serious Forum Regular

We always stay onsite and have never rented a car :)

MAgical Express will pick you up from the airport and take you back... and within Disney you just use the Disney transportation :)
  11. GoofyMac

GoofyMac Earning my ears

We live an easy 7 hour drive from Walt Disney World. If you live anywhere in the southeast within a 12 hour drive of Walt Disney World I recommend Driving. Prior to leaving ensuring you have your vehicle checked. We use our vehicle minimally and always stay on property now. It is possible and very low stress. Having your vehicle is beneficial for trips to Wally World and the Disney outlet store off property.

Goofymac
  12. james

james Earning my ears

I know my mother did it when I was a child but i think that Disney land has gotten a lot bigger but just to let you know that is possible! So good luck!
  13. Southern Dad

Southern Dad Earning my ears

There is a great app called OLP Transportation Wizard for the iPhone that will help you find the best way to get between resorts for dining reservations.

We usually have a car but I like to toss the keys in the safe on Day 1 and leave it parked until we leave. Disney Transportation can get you anywhere on property with ease.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD