Monday and we are off to......

Discussion in 'Trip Report Indexes' started by Deafjeff, Sep 24, 2014.

1. Deafjeff

Deafjeff Well-Known Member

Training and Development Manager
    Discovery Cove!

Love this place. Went there two years ago and had a really good time, so we decided we wanted to go again this year.

The set up is the same.... Checked in very quickly, allocated Dolphins encounter time of 11.15, which feels like a nice time. Free photo at the beginning which we will pick up later.

Now the fun begins, starting with the whole 'getting into the wetsuit' situation. We go for the full wetsuit option, as we think it looks cooler, and more like what the staff are wearing, rather than the vest tops that most seem to wear...(normally those who can't fit into wetsuits (sly giggle)...) It is also very useful technique to hide my excess fat(!)

Grab our snorkels and off into the freshwater river to practice with the masks and the snorkels and the inevitable hyperventilating and swallowing of half the river in the first ten seconds. The water feels warm enough to take a bath, shame we left the shower gel back in the lockers.

Stephen swims off like a fish, practising his Man from Atlantis routine while I struggle with my face mask in the kiddies section. Turns out if you have a beard then the mask can't completely seal itself to your face, leaving small gaps for the water to get inside. Grrr.

We then thought it would be a good idea to pop to the fresh water reef to get used to the colder water before our dolphin encounter. Jesus, Mary and Joseph that water is cold, especially compared to the bath we were just splashing around in.

Stephen eventually manages to get his head under water, only to leap straight back out as he was about to launch into the reef only to almost headbut the world's biggest ray. Cue muffled outcry, a few seconds of deep breathing and off he goes. Is he such a drama queen?!

I'm still struggling with my mask and swallowing sea water as if it's going out of fashion. It's not nice. Very salty I must add!

We give up for a bit and help ourselves to some cinnamon pretzels.... Om nom nom. And then off to meet our Dolphins.

First up is Kayla, a five year old frisky little thing, who was born in Discovery Cove. She's very playful and keeps buggering off to play with her best mate who was with the group next to us. Very cute though. Next up is CJ, a mixed breed dolphin who's 17 and the father of another dolphin in the park. Apparently they were all very shocked at him being able to breed, as mixed breed Dolphins are normally sterile. He's great fun and takes us for our ride and poses for pictures with us.

We bumped to a woman who comes from Wales also. It's a small world after all(!)

Nice encounter, far too brief as they always are, walking very slowly out of the lagoon to try and drag out the time as much as possible.... But like kids when they have to go to bed.

Lunch time... Not too shabby.

Time for more swimming and off to see the otters. Cutest things ever. One was doing a little back rub on the rocks, looking for all the world like he's doing a little dance. Just for us of course.

Back to the reef. Some better success with the snorkeling. Stephen is flying around filming anything that moves with his gopro. He forgets that the shark tank is surrounded by glass and has a slight fit when something the size of a large bus heads towards him from two feet away. Not going to bee able to claim on his life insurance policy just yet then. Never mind.

We start to feel cold so we opt to get changed and collect our photos.

View attachment 18272 View attachment 18273 View attachment 18274

Off back to the hotel, changed and off to DTD for food at wolfgang puck express. Bit of shopping done, we brought this cute thing

View attachment 18275 but it starts to rain yet again so we opt to head back to the hotel. Tomorrow is Epcot.

Attached Files:

2. Beccaberry

Beccaberry Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Website Manager/IT
    Fanfanfantastic review! Sounds like a lovely day, and the photos are just lovely!

3. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou Makuakane Administrator

I love the photos :D it sounds like you had a really good day even if Stephen was being a drama queen :wink: :lol:

4. Watchinherskip

Watchinherskip Well-Known Member

Teacher/planetarium director
    Great job on the review! What a good time you are having.

5. uscwest

uscwest Well-Known Member

A phrase I heard a LOT from my Aunt growing up in an Irish Catholic Family.

6. piglet

piglet Well-Known Member

clerical
    Oh that report made me laugh so much. Is Stephen a bit of a drama queen or are you just jealous!

7. Deafjeff

Deafjeff Well-Known Member

Training and Development Manager
    Erm perhaps tiny bit of me was jealous.....

8. sarah

sarah New Member

I have loved reading your trip reports
    What a great day x

9. Esmeralda

Esmeralda Well-Known Member

Dazzling everyone with my sheer awesomness :D
    Brilliant lol.

10. Tony G

Tony G Active Member

Villa Owner
    Home Page:
    Excellent!

11. Wendy

Wendy A hui hou kakou Makuakane Administrator

Can we have some more usie photos please :beg:

12. Tink

Tink Administrator Staff Member Administrator

What a great day! The water sounds too cold for me though. I do know that wetsuits help with that though. Stephen is just an excitable boy, that's all. :D
    Yep, facial hair is not compatible with face masks.
    Looking forward to more photos and more reports!